Defensive Carry banner

Where should I mount my new pistol safe?

10K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  nn 
#1 ·
I guess its not really a "safe" as much as a pistol box. Very similar to this:

I got it for $20 at walmart. It's basically just a place to store whatever gun I am not carrying when I am not home or when I am sleeping. This is a "keep honest people honest" box more than anything.

I would like to mount this on my nightstand but its not really mine. The bedroom furniture is more or less "on loan" from my parents while I am at college. I am not sure my mom would appreciate me drilling 4 holes in her lovely cherry nightstand.

What, in you opinion, is the best place to mount my pistol box?

See less See more
#2 ·
yikes man...im not sure...you might try bolting it to your bedframe...or tack welding it(much cooler). just depends on where you want it...mount it wherever you need it.

#3 ·
You can drill a hole (or holes in it) run a cable through it and padlock it to your bedframe or other peice of furniture.

Sure some one can take you bed apart but, they can take apart or break whatever you bolt it too.

If it is just to keep people honest a cable will work fine.

#5 ·
i was thinking the same thing. Heck, if I bolted it to the nightstand whats to keep them from just taking my nightstand. Its not incredibly heavy..just a tad bulky. I could probably hit up lowes today for a cable to attach it to my bead headboard.

#4 ·
I would mount or weld it to the most difficult thing to move in the house that you have access to. I have one of mine actually bolted to the concrete slab that the house is on. It is mounted in a corner that has drywall on both sides (makes the box more pry resistant).

#6 ·
This is what I have done. It main functions is to keep people from not seeing a gun and picking it up. Keeping honest people honest.

I figure if they break into my house and I'm not there they can tear out of the wall and load up my whole gun safe. If they are going to be just a quick in and out they'll only want what is easy.

#7 ·
Out of sight, out of mind...
To the floor in your closet (under the dirty clothes)...no one will ever find it...:hand10:

#8 ·
This is a tad gross, but I saw a photo of a cool method to hide money, passports etc. It's actually a pair of mens underwear, except instead of a fly, it has a place to hide money etc.

Here's the cool part. The seat has a long, wide, brown streak dyed in it.

Leave it in plain sight with the brown streak showing and guaranteed no one will pick it up. :embarassed:

#13 ·
I've seen the "underwear safe" also, and you can bet if I were a burglar I'd give those dirty drawers plenty plenty of space.

Now, back to the topic, I definitely think that using a cable (at least 1/8" is very stout) would do fine, run it through the box, like a loop and put it together with cable clamps (2 or 3 small u-bolts) so that they are inside the box. You don't really need the plastic covered stuff, just bare cable is fine. Tape the ends where it's cut, the wires really hurt when they stick you.

#17 ·
C'mon guys! WELD IT! It's way cooler than the chain. Youre passing up a great opportunity!

#18 ·
Needle and thread. Sew the bottom of an old shirt or jeans closed. Keep them hung up (you said you are in college, so you may not hang anything up 8) ), and place the gun in the newly formed hiding spot. Hide things in plain sight. Works every time. Take that thing back and get your money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.