Where should I mount my new pistol safe?

This is a discussion on Where should I mount my new pistol safe? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess its not really a "safe" as much as a pistol box. Very similar to this: I got it for $20 at walmart. It's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where should I mount my new pistol safe?

Where should I mount my new pistol safe?

I guess its not really a "safe" as much as a pistol box. Very similar to this:

I got it for $20 at walmart. It's basically just a place to store whatever gun I am not carrying when I am not home or when I am sleeping. This is a "keep honest people honest" box more than anything.

I would like to mount this on my nightstand but its not really mine. The bedroom furniture is more or less "on loan" from my parents while I am at college. I am not sure my mom would appreciate me drilling 4 holes in her lovely cherry nightstand.

What, in you opinion, is the best place to mount my pistol box?

2. Remove Ads

yikes man...im not sure...you might try bolting it to your bedframe...or tack welding it(much cooler). just depends on where you want it...mount it wherever you need it.
    "Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family"

Senior Moderator
    You can drill a hole (or holes in it) run a cable through it and padlock it to your bedframe or other peice of furniture.

Sure some one can take you bed apart but, they can take apart or break whatever you bolt it too.

If it is just to keep people honest a cable will work fine.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I would mount or weld it to the most difficult thing to move in the house that you have access to. I have one of mine actually bolted to the concrete slab that the house is on. It is mounted in a corner that has drywall on both sides (makes the box more pry resistant).
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    You can drill a hole (or holes in it) run a cable through it and padlock it to your bedframe or other peice of furniture.

Sure some one can take you bed apart but, they can take apart or break whatever you bolt it too.

If it is just to keep people honest a cable will work fine.
    i was thinking the same thing. Heck, if I bolted it to the nightstand whats to keep them from just taking my nightstand. Its not incredibly heavy..just a tad bulky. I could probably hit up lowes today for a cable to attach it to my bead headboard.

Senior Moderator
    This is what I have done. It main functions is to keep people from not seeing a gun and picking it up. Keeping honest people honest.

I figure if they break into my house and I'm not there they can tear out of the wall and load up my whole gun safe. If they are going to be just a quick in and out they'll only want what is easy.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Out of sight, out of mind...
    To the floor in your closet (under the dirty clothes)...no one will ever find it...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is a tad gross, but I saw a photo of a cool method to hide money, passports etc. It's actually a pair of mens underwear, except instead of a fly, it has a place to hide money etc.

Here's the cool part. The seat has a long, wide, brown streak dyed in it.

Leave it in plain sight with the brown streak showing and guaranteed no one will pick it up.

^^ hahahaha

Cable through the box, padlocked to the bed frame, hidden under the bed, is where I keep mine.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Out of sight, out of mind...
    To the floor in your closet (under the dirty clothes)...no one will ever find it...
    I will second this idea.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Where did you get your cable? I went by lowes today and didn't find anything suitable.

VIP Member
    I've seen the "underwear safe" also, and you can bet if I were a burglar I'd give those dirty drawers plenty plenty of space.

Now, back to the topic, I definitely think that using a cable (at least 1/8" is very stout) would do fine, run it through the box, like a loop and put it together with cable clamps (2 or 3 small u-bolts) so that they are inside the box. You don't really need the plastic covered stuff, just bare cable is fine. Tape the ends where it's cut, the wires really hurt when they stick you.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Where did you get your cable? I went by lowes today and didn't find anything suitable.
    Check Wal-mart or similar store for a bicycle lock.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    Good idea, a fairly long bicycle lock (cable type) would work good. Make two holes in the gun box, put the bike lock inside the box, push one end out through a hole, go around something heavy, and back inside the box and lock it together.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links