Not that I care what people think, but... - Page 2

Not that I care what people think, but...

This is a discussion on Not that I care what people think, but... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have (had) two friends who did much the same thing to me - one I grew up with and another I had known for ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not that I care what people think, but...

"Friends"

I have (had) two friends who did much the same thing to me - one I grew up with and another I had known for fifteen years. Both are gun owners and claim to be both pro-RKBA and pro-CCW. During the years of the Missouri CCW battles they both cried about how unfair it was that the legislators would not pass the law. When it looked as though the law would finally pass - they both seemed as delighted as I was - and they both insisted they would be getting their licenses. When I actually DID get my License to Carry - both of them made it clear they did not want me carrying around them. This was in spite of the fact that my family was and still is being stalked and harassed by a violent speed-freak.

Do they fear me? Do they envy me? Do they resent the fact that I actually did what I said I would do? I don't know and really don't care anymore. I am NOT going to put myself and my family at risk just to be in the company of a so-called "friend" who does not trust me and believes I DON'T have the right/responsibility to defend myself and my family.

As for leaving the church - keep in mind that old saying; 'Bad things happen when good people do nothing'. If good people leave the church because of the things the pseudo-Christians do there - who does that leave?
    Last edited by revlar; May 23rd, 2005 at 01:25 PM. Reason: punctuation
    If you want to make God laugh - tell Him your plans. Yiddish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    ...I went away a little sad. They've changed, and so have I...
    Hey, Euc. You were printing. Concealment is about more than the right rig and the right attire. You chose to reveal something very intimate to people you trusted and it didn't work out.

You DO, in fact, care. I don't know you by other than what you've written, here on this forum, but you seem like a good person. I'm sorry you had to experience that. You may be a little sadder, but hopefully a little wiser for the experience. When you start living a purposeful life, you begin to take notice where your values diverge. It is always disappointing to learn that people you thought you knew don't actually share your values. But you know what? They belong on their path, and you belong on yours. You have changed. That, I think, is not a bad thing.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Assistant Administrator
    I am NOT going to put myself and my family at risk just to be in the company of a so-called "friend" who does not trust me and believes I DON'T have the right/responsibility to defend myself and my family.
    revlar - these folks seem to show a very strange attitude - and above all let me take from the quote I placed - TRUST. This is the key word - if a ''friend'' - or anyone expresses this absurd notion that they do not want you carrying around them then - they have IMO displayed a sign saying ''I do not trust you''. Fair enough - they are not friends worth having or keeping.

Trust is at the basis of such things - as we all know - the gun ain't gonna leap out uninvited and start spraying the room and all around!!! No - it is inert and safe in trusted possession and hands.

I regard this sorta deal as an insult - to my integrity. I for sure will not reciproocate trust or loyalty toward another, who so blatantly demonstrates they wish NOT to trust me.

Reminds me too yet again - of an old friend who has the strange notion that ''if you carry a gun you are inviting trouble''!! Guess some folks can't/won't ever see things logically.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Ignorance. People fear what they don't understand. Society in general has turned firearms into a taboo. Like you said, who cares what people think.
    Stops Jihad on Contact

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    If leaving your church bothers you, find another church. If your so-called friends don't like you carrying guns they are not real friends, move on.

Okay Euc, I checked and I haven't yet responded to this thread so I'll toss in my .02 cents.

I guess there are a few folks with whom I regularly associate who don't know of my activism for the 2nd Amendment. Anytime I run into somebody who reacts in the manner you stated, I see it as a "teachable moment" and pardon me but I AM an educator. As are you, right? First, I give them my business card identifying me as an NRA certified Firearms Instructor and a former US Army Infantry captain. A little certification credibility goes a long way in the eyes of the average sheeple.

I also ALWAYS carry one of those NRA Firearms Facts Cards in my wallet for instant reference. These are facts presented by various agencies none of which offers official allegiance to ther NRA. I recommend everybody get one or more from the NRA.

I am fortunate to belong to a fundamentalist church who split from an extremely liberal main body in the 1960's over the place of political activism in the pulpit. The issue that ignited the split was gun control. Presbyterian Church in America (PCA) decided to split away from the Presbyterian Church (USA) and go their own way and follow the word of God. PC USA got even more liberal and more extreme and now they seem to be imploding and fragmenting even more. In my Church, one of our elders is a fellow Range Officer in my IDPA club. He carries in church every week with the full knowledge and support of both the Pastor and the Elders. His 9 year old son also participates in our matches.

Teachable moments are precious jewels, I seek them out whether it's an opportunity to enlighten somebody about guns, government and freedom or to witness for Christ. If I'm rejected, I go away happy nonetheless, because just maybe I planted a seed that will take root and bloom later on. Next time you encounter something like this, offer to take them to a range or better yet to an IDPA match and watch the joy replace the doubt and it'll make you feel warm and fuzzy all over....
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    'Soldier,

Those were some very nice sentiments, and I'm glad you found the narrow path for your journey.

Euc is one of the people I am closest to in the cyber world and I want to see him make good. While not the funniest of the lot, he has that twisted sense of humor tht I consider 'normal.'

I'm glad you teach, I wish I was that noble. Even in my walk, I'm in that section that "kicks the dust from my sandals."

I'm going to leave it at that. I just came back from a good ride, and I want to stay mellow. Next we go off to Borders.

Senior Moderator
    Eighty percent of the people out there are nothing more than cannon fodder. Thats all they have ever been and thats all they'll ever be.

Ten percent of the people are absolutley evil .

The other ten percent are good...and aware of the evil.

Its been that way through out history, it never really changes.

Life is about the 10 percent of evil people constantly fighting the rest of the world while the 80 percent that gets caught in the crossfire die with out ever knowing why or the purpose for their lives.
    Its the 10 percent of the good folks with a clue that stand in the way of evil.Life is basically simple. Its about good vs. evil. Thats it, plain and simple.

Once you figure it out,(most never do) its just a matter of choosing sides and living it out.

Ever notice how people of like values and interests somehow migrate to each other ?

Surround yourself with good folks that have a clue. You'll have to learn to tolerate the 80 percent because they are everywhere.Watch the evil 10 percent, never take your eyes off of them, never let your guard down.

In the long run, you'll be glad you did.

Assistant Administrator
    Hot Guns - that pretty much matches my page!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Talking Hot Guns Got it right

Live in the village (80%), Live in the Jungle (10% BG) or stand on the wall (105 GG).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links