Packing (dot) org? :MERGED

This is a discussion on Packing (dot) org? :MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike I have not visited PDO since finding this site. I lost interest in it when I saw how much better this ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Packing (dot) org? :MERGED

Got To Agree Here...

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I have not visited PDO since finding this site. I lost interest in it when I saw how much better this site was.

The stupid rating system they put in effect after getting rid of the Mods really ran it into the dumper. This site is infinitely better.
    I could never figure out the why's for the ratings, it just turned into a negativity contest...I quit interacting months before finding this site, but still enjoyed the unique reference/info segments of the site.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

I tried setting up an account there years ago and had registration problems. I e-mailed Mr. Solomon, but never got a response or was ever able to register.

Their loss is DC's gain.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    If you find yourself getting upset with the moderators here, just go and spend a few days at PDO. You will come back loving the mods here.
    Ain't it the truth!

I remember you, You were one of the nice ones.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

"The stupid rating system they put in effect after getting rid of the Mods really ran it into the dumper. This site is infinitely better."

Bingo. Got rated two zeros on PDO for telling a guy who inquired about self defense shotguns to buy a Remington 870. PDO became junk a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by enigmaone View Post
    I remember you, You were one of the nice ones.
    Thank you. I see more than a couple of th eold PDO crowd here.

If you think 2 zeros for advising one to get an 870 bad try picking up something like 30 or 40 spread over every elligible thread in a day when you disagree with the wrong troll.

No matter how many times people stated the rating system meant nothing you still ahd Mark Solomon's words to new members that a low rating was indicative of poor quality posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "The stupid rating system they put in effect after getting rid of the Mods really ran it into the dumper. This site is infinitely better."

Bingo. Got rated two zeros on PDO for telling a guy who inquired about self defense shotguns to buy a Remington 870. PDO became junk a couple of years ago.
    I asked a simple question, and my rating dropped to a 2.7 from one post...I never posted again.

Not trying to be vindictive, but it wouldn't bother me to see the site gone.

"Not trying to be vindictive, but it wouldn't bother me to see the site gone."

Ditto for me. PDO is a text book example of how to ruin a good thing.

Packing.Org?

Is Packing.org down for the count or what?

I have tried to log onto their site several times in the last couple weeks and their site hasn't loaded on my browser for a while now it seems.

Are they still in business?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Is Packing.org down for the count or what?
    Or what.

The site has gotten ratty administrative attention during at least the past year, possibly longer. It's taken another dive, and there's nobody looking at it, like as not. Whether that's due to lack of interest or lack of time to do the administrative chores, it really doesn't make any difference. The point is: it's a back-burner web site for the site's owner and has been for some time. I seem to recall a statement he made on there, a year ago or so, stating that he was off to school (or another project) and didn't have the time to focus on keeping it going. Now, folks frequenting that site are seeing the results of that decision.

As a viable alternative, check out: handgunlaw.us .
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Yes ccw9mm is correct, the owner said his new project is law school. I seem to recall that he was looking for a few key people to take over the majority of work in keeping the site updated etc. Though judging by the character of many members I am not surprised to see it down the drain.
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

I think PDO is all done.

It's been down before for as much as a few days then suddenly pops back up. This time it's been like two or three weeks.

It was becoming a terrible site anyway with little in the way of any order among the members. Personal attacks, fakes and wannabee's and all sort of infiltrators that do not and did not represent the concealed carry and Second Amendment movement very well.

There were a handful of really extrordinary individuals that were long time posters from the early day's, but it had become less and less efficient since the rating system started. The only hope it had was that the rating system suddenly became glitched and the voting bandits did not have a mechanism to display their personal charachter flaws. They simply started acting like teenagers and mucking things up.

Thank God there's a few sites like this one that are in good shape.

Kudo's to Defensive Carry.
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Just tried it with no luck. I've gotten away from going there, especially since I found Combat ...Defensive Carry.
    Keep up the good work and Thank you!
    ...one jagged hole!

I contacted Packing.Orgs' web hosting service....

And they informed me that Mr. Solomon allowed the hosting contract to expire, choosing not to renew it. So, unless Mark decides to renew the hosting agreement with another firm, for all practical purposes, Packing.Org is no more. I think Mark wanted it that way, because I emailed him several times offering to assist him with site administration/moderation and recieved no response; I found a contact number for him via the hosting service, but the number had been disconnected. I can only assume that Mark has indeed moved on to another chapter in his life, and Packing.Org is no more. What happened at Packing should serve as an example of what will happen to any forum when proactive forum admistration/moderation is removed from the equation. I found all this out last week and thought I would share with interested parties.

Just my opinions of course
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Thanks for the info guys.... I went to handgunlaw.us and was able to locate the info I needed to help with another post on here regarding nebraska law for a member.

Seems to be a pretty good site.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links