License list - Page 3

License list

This is a discussion on License list within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i sent a email to the editor and got a reponse if that is what you want to call it. he said that he is ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: License list

Angry

i sent a email to the editor and got a reponse if that is what you want to call it. he said that he is a gun ower his self and that in no way was he against owning guns. i had told him in my email that he just provided my abusive ex with my home address even after i went thru the trouble to keep it off my restraining order him and his liberal reporters just gave it to him.needless to say i called him up and actually got thru to him. he told me that he meant no harm and in no way was this a poltical move. that the paper bought all our information from the state of florida for $190 and thought the public would want to know who has a ccw. fine and good but why the addresses and birthdates? he told me all that information is public record and that it was part of the "package" he bought from the state. he told me that since i had a restraining order that includes my home address that he will take my name and my husbands (craig45) off the list. the birthdays are already supposed to be off from everybodys name. ( or that is what he told me) he also said that he does not see where it is a public safety issue. he told me if anything it will stop the criminals from breaking into our homes since they know we have guns. i asked him what about the ones who's names was not on that list? his response was " just because they don't have a cww doesn't mean that they don't have a gun in the house" what a complete dumba**. i wanted to strangle that man thru the phone. so if any of you have a restraining order then you can get your name off the list, hopefully its not to late to keep the person from getting it. this is really starting to piss me off. start to, excuse me i am pissed off. no starting here. sorry about the rant, cin

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Gentlemen, Just got an email from Patrick Rice,editor,of the NW Fla.Daily News. It states: Bill ,Thanks for your email. Clearly you disagree with us for coverage of who has concealed weapons in our area. That's OK,but I do want you to know that the stories we published in the Daily News on Sunday in no way cast judgement on people who hold concealed weapon permits. Rather,we simply reported on an issue that no doubt has high public interest. Personally,I believe in everyone's right to bear arms. Thanks again for writing. Pat Rice-- Editor ----- This is the complete letter with no changes. Sounds to me that he is now trying to give us a very dry hand j--. I still suggest that we all have a phoncon with him and also email the paper. I know that I will. Meanwhile we need to find out who the actual OWNER of that rag is and convey our thoughts to them also.---

license list

the publisher actually called me back. i told him that he's endangered some people without knowing it. there are people on that list who are not in the phone book for specific reasons, stalkers, abusive ex's(my wife's got one) etc. he said he thought it was in the publics interest to know this, but he got kinda silent when i asked if it was in the publics interest when a convicted child molester, rapist, or murderer moved into the area. kinda funny isn't it? the criminal has more rights than me. he also said that his address is in the phone book, but the editors and the reporters are not. the editor told my wife his(the editors) address will be published in the paper soon. i will get all the phone numbers for them posted tonight when i get home from work. thanks for all the emails and phone calls. they are starting to realize a LOT of people are upset.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Found the website for the NW Fla.Daily news. ----www.nwfdailynews.com----- On their site they have a place that you can vote, also a place that you can leave your comment. GO GETTEM guys and gals !! Mine is signed "BILL"-------

I have not had this feeling like being on a roller coaster being close to a group who are really fighting for all of us. I thank you guys, we need to get to the SA and RTKBA arms groups to provide backing, they know the techniques pretty good. May you and your family's keep well.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I got a response from him as well. I will paste all of it in this thread a little later when I have time to do so.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    My initial email stated basically what I stated above that the paper had people in harm's way of ID theft and that they had probably helped to increase violence by giving criminals a treasure map. I also pointed out the FL law about publishing police/corrections addresses.

This is the response that I got:

Thanks for your email. I disagree that we have increased the potential of
    identity theft by publishing this list. Indeed, it's public record, and
    anyone who wants it can get it. In addition, I disagree that we have made
    these people targets for gun thieves. Indeed, I would think criminals
    would avoid these folks, as they are more likely than others to have
    lethal force available and to know how to use it.
    Are you from Northwest Florida? Let me know.
    Pat Rice
    Editor

I responded back that even though it was public information that I was certain there were things about his life that were public info that he might not want published. I even suggested the possibility of doing a little digging on him and buying ad space in his competitor and publishing the material.

I then asked him what his motives were for publishing such a list. It must be political motives, which meant that he was not being an ubiased journalist. I asked him if he pubished list of local wefare recipients.

I then pointed out to him that he had conceded the point that fear on the part of criminals that citizens owned firearms would deter crime based on the statement that he made in his first email. So, he should support no restrictions on carry by law abiding citizens in FL.

Here is the reply to that email:

Thanks for the additional feedback.
    Pat Rice
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

license list

here's the info i've gotten so far. sorry i don't know how to highlight links. 1. Tom Connor, publisher. tomc@nwfdaliynews.com 2. Wendy Victora, reporter. wendyv@nwfdailynews.com.. 850-863-1111 ex.478. 3. Pat Rice, editor. patrickr@nwfldailynews.com..850-863-1111 ex.400. 4. Kari Barlow, reporter. 850-863-1111 ex.440. they also have a toll free number...1-800-755-1185. i do have an address for the publisher but i'm gonna wait and see if they give up the reporters and editors address also.

Everything being done here is fine...we need to turn up the heat. But a bigger issue for everyone long term is the fact that the paper bought all the information from the state of florida for $190. This needs to be addressed at the government level.

Letters and phone calls need to be sent to State Representatives, Att. Generals office, & Governor. Make the same arguments that we've made to each other, point out the facts about restraining orders, stalkers, rode maps to our firearms and such. This is the only way to attempt to prevent this from happening again. Surely, expecting some liberal Nimrod whos job it is to publish a newspaper, to not print a controversial story is probably expecting too much!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Ok guys, here's my contribution. I hope it meets your approval. And, I hope it helps the cause.

Dear Sir:

What exactly was the purpose of publishing the names of those lawfully armed citizens with concealed carry permits? I should think that if these ladies and gentlemen wanted everyone for three counties to know that they were carrying a firearm about their person, they would just carry their pistols openly. The idea behind ‘concealed carry’ is just that. Concealed. Not for all to know. Secret. Out of sight. See what I mean?

Or is it simply sensationalism? Stir controversy, sell papers, generate income. At what point does your paper’s collective conscience come into play? What about those on your list who’ve tried very hard to keep their addresses confidential for safety’s sake? Those who have kept their locations secret from ex’s who may pose a threat, or from a stalker who may be the very reason this person has a concealed firearm and permit? Any listing of a law enforcement officer, whether current or retired is a Third Degree Felony, not to mention the potential threat of retaliation from a disgruntled ‘guest of the state’.

And your listing of concealed permit holders has jeopardized each and everyone of those on the list to burglary. While its true that having a firearm about your person gives one a better chance of surviving a violent attack, it does not keep your possessions safe when one is not at home. It would be akin to listing all those within your readership who have jewelry with a value above $10,000 in their home. Suppose what the public reaction to that would be? Since we are on the subject of ‘public record’, how would you feel about your paper publishing your name and home address, along with your staff, and your work hours, and what valuables you have in your home.

Due to some individuals' negative personal views on firearms and Second Amendment rights, ccw holders on your list are now fair game for anti self defense employers. This list will no doubt be scrutinized by employers who hold a dim view of the right to self defense, and may be persecuted for being on the list.

Yes, this is public record. But this public record was not as easily discovered by the general populous until your ill mannered publishing of it.

I am certain mine is not the only letter of concern you have received. I am anxious to read your reply, if you so choose.

In closing, I ask that you be much more mindful of your actions in the future, and more respectful of the privacy of others. Even if it doesn’t sell as many papers.

Sincerely,

Dan

Email to the Editor

Well, I don't expect a response but I did vent a little...maybe more....the following is what I said:

"I’m appalled that you would publish a detailed listing of CCW permit holders. What on earth is going thru your mind? Fame & Forturne…..Pulitzer? You, my friend have allowed the lowest scum of the earth to plot home breakins for the purpose of stealing firearms and escalating violent crime.
    You might think that you are doing a civil service, but if you were truly interested in the public you would not have come to that conclusion. Don’t say that criminals will avoid these people’s homes because they are armed….it’s not rocket science to stake out a residence and observe when the home is vacant….believe me, if a person carries he/she probably has more guns in the house. I don’t carry every weapon I own either. You, my friend, are in affect aiding and abetting any terrorist “moles” that are in fact in this country.

You think because CCW is a “hot topic” gives you the right to potentially victimize law-abiding citizens? Yes, freedom of the press, I served honorably to protect that right, and yes information that is publicly available is fair game. Well, unless you are a hypocrit, and I sincerely suspect you are….public information is available on how to build pipe bombs, nuclear weapons, booby traps of all sorts, picking locks, stalking, methods of silent murder….the list goes on. If you are truly a pure “journalist” then you are totally unbiased and believe all this information should be made public, for their need to be aware….then do your job and publish articles on the aforementioned. By the way, since “illegal immigraion” is also a hot topic, why don’t you publish the names and addresses of illegal “aliens” in your distribution area. Oh yeah, I guess you don’t give a darn about child molestors, child murderers…in general, crimes against children, else you would publish the “NAMES AND ADDRESSES” of known pediphiles registered (public info) in your area. How about recently released felons of any ilk….that too is public information, but you are obviously not concerned about your fellow citizens enough to alert them to ‘those” potential threats.

You, my friend, are why a lot of Americans have a total distrust and disgust in the media. Your display of negligent journalism is an utter disgrace to your chosen profession. You are obviously not suited for the job….try telemarketing, you’ll at least get more respect."

Just call me grumpy!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Talking

'spector,
    you need to learn NOT to hold all your feelings inside. You know that aint healthy. You need to be able to fully express yourself. Man your age has deserved to be heard. Stand up and speak yer mind.

Dan

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    From the FDLE website I sent an Email with my info requesting confirmation that my info was NOT public due to my being a LEO (even though not in FL). I received an Email reply that indeed my information is flagged as "private". I'm happy.

I understand that everyone is steamed at the newspaper. Although what they did was thoughtless and stupid, it was LEGAL because the dumb-ass law in FL says that the info is PUBLIC INFO (with LE exceptions granted on request).

If you want to change the situation, expend that energy on getting the FL legislators to CHANGE THE LAW!! Even backwards, anti-gun MA makes it a crime to release our Licensee info! Since I do not vote in FL, I have NO clout in getting this corrected, those of you who do live there should get on the stick and see that this is corrected. Legislators only listen to those that have the power to make them look for a "real job"!! Good luck.

Administrator

Good Letters Folks

Hopefully they will wake somebody up & serve up a dose of reality to some real media numbskulls.

DC Founder
    I haven't received anything from him as yet, but I am glad to see our members sending emails about this kind of thing. Even though most of us don't live in Florida, I believe it is important and helps CCW for all of us in the long run....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links