License list

This is a discussion on License list within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; our local paper(nwfdailynews.com) made a list of chl holders available today. i wish they'd publish a list of convicted felons (sex offenders especially) in our ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: License list

Thumbs down License list

our local paper(nwfdailynews.com) made a list of chl holders available today. i wish they'd publish a list of convicted felons (sex offenders especially) in our area. oops, they can't do that. might violate the felon's rights or make them lose self esteem. the double standards in use today really tick me off.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    From Northwest Florida Daily News:

Who’s packing heat?

They live in your neighborhood, shop local stores and drive on the same roads. They are young mothers who pack handguns next to their lipsticks and middle-aged men whose untucked shirts hide the holsters on their belts. Some carry a concealed weapon because they love guns. Some just appreciate the freedom to keep and bear arms.
    This should be outlawed. It's an invasion of privacy even if it does come from public information. Sounds like someone at the newspaper does not appreciate the importance of CCW premits and wants to intimidate some to give up their permits.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

A public announcement as to who is armed may contribute to their being harmed or their family impacted at work for example. Their children at school may become targets of lefty teachers, who can say. This is poor judgement for sure.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

my reply

Quote Originally Posted by craig45
    our local paper(nwfdailynews.com) made a list of chl holders available today. i wish they'd publish a list of convicted felons (sex offenders especially) in our area. oops, they can't do that. might violate the felon's rights or make them lose self esteem. the double standards in use today really tick me off.
    I wrote a letter to the editor expressing my displeasure with their decision to publish crap like that.
    His e-mail address, by the way, is: patrickr@nwfdailynews.com
    In the unlikely event that they reply back to me, I will post it here.

Below is a copy of what I sent them:

NWFlorida Daily News editor,

Tell me something..... How is publishing a list of legally armed citizens considered "newsworthy"? What is it going to accomplish? I cannot think of a good reason to publish it.
    Yeah, yeah, it's public record. So what? Does that make it right?
    I'll bet I could compile a list of jewelry owners, or BMW owners, or registered Democrats.... but is there any lawful purpose in it?
    It is mildly ironic that the first amendment that you hide behind is protected by the second amendment that you (apparently) are afraid of.

I would love some feedback, but I won't hold my breath.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Not only are they publishing names, but their complete address and birthdates...this is just plain wrong! This should be brought to the attention of the Florida Attorney General and the Governors office...not sure if they would care, but Jeb Bush is on the gun owners side, so maybe bringing it to light might be the beginning of getting something changed.

If I lived there and my name appeared on ther list, I would at least write a rebuttal asking them if they are so concerned for the "publics safety", why have'nt they spent their resources publishing the complete details of all felons, sex offenders, child molesters, domestic abusers, etc...I'll bet the citizens would be much more interested in which one's of those are living next door to them!!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    From Northwest Florida Daily News:

This should be outlawed. It's an invasion of privacy even if it does come from public information. Sounds like someone at the newspaper does not appreciate the importance of CCW premits and wants to intimidate some to give up their permits.
    In Florida, if ANY of those on the list are former or retired LEOs it's a 3rd degree FELONY. Could've been a police OR a corrections officer from thirty years ago and it still counts. Somebody should check and if it fits the criteria, notify the state attorney. I already did this when it happened down here. In fact I told the Governor's office. They are investigating.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Angry Mad as heck!

Quote Originally Posted by Deke45
    Not only are they publishing names, but their complete address and birthdates...this is just plain wrong! This should be brought to the attention of the Florida Attorney General and the Governors office...not sure if they would care, but Jeb Bush is on the gun owners side, so maybe bringing it to light might be the beginning of getting something changed.

If I lived there and my name appeared on ther list, I would at least write a rebuttal asking them if they are so concerned for the "publics safety", why have'nt they spent their resources publishing the complete details of all felons, sex offenders, child molesters, domestic abusers, etc...I'll bet the citizens would be much more interested in which one's of those are living next door to them!!
    This what I just sent them:

I certainly HOPE that none of the folks you listed is a former or retired LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICER. In Florida, if ANY of those on the list are former or retired LEOs it's a 3rd degree FELONY. Could've been a police OR a corrections officer from thirty years ago and it still counts. The NEW TIMES did the same thing down here and listed CARLOS ALVAREZ the current Mayor of Miami as a holder. He is also a retired Chief of Police. Although I have little hope that the Miami-Dade State Attorney will follow the law in this matter, I did notify the office of the Governor and they have replied that they are investigating the matter. Perhaps you too, will be speaking to the FDLE sometime soon.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    You need to get your legislators to change the law so this is "private info", not public. That is the real problem. Here in MA, that is privileged info and NOT releasable to the public for any reason.

If it is public, the press will publish it and it really is hard to blame them (they have no ethics/morals), so the real problem needs to be solved . . . make the info private.

Is there a way to check if my info is public or private as a NR FL CCW holder? When I filled out the paperwork in 2001, I requested it to be kept private as I am LE. But I have no idea if they did it or not (since I am not FL LE).

Exclamation Personal LEO INFO in FL

Quote Originally Posted by LenS
    Is there a way to check if my info is public or private as a NR FL CCW holder? When I filled out the paperwork in 2001, I requested it to be kept private as I am LE. But I have no idea if they did it or not (since I am not FL LE).
    Here is the link to the Florida Div of Licensing CCW page:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/index.html

There should be a way to send them an e-mail from within the system. Alert them as to your needs and they'll take care of it for you.

Even though I don't live there, I was so PO'd I wrote a letter to the POS editior anyway. I borrowed the ending with a little twist from ya EX before hitting send!

In their own online poll entitled "More than 5,000 people in Santa Rosa, Okaloosa and Walton counties have permits to carry concealed weapons. Does this worry you? The current tally is:
    11% YES
    89% NO

What does that say to you!!

My Letter:
    NWFlorida Daily News editor,

I was very dismayed to find out that your newspaper published a list of law abiding citizens who have obtained concealed handgun permits, including not just their names, but complete addresses and birthdates. While understanding that this is public record, your compilation and publication of this information was very irresponsible and poor judgment on your part! What did you possibly hope to accomplish by doing this, what was your purpose? Do you realize that these citizens will now become targets of criminals looking to steal firearms since you’ve so ignorantly printed all their addresses?

I find it very odd that people in your position, who rely on your rights guaranteed by the 1st amendment to say and print anything you want, will maliciously attempt to impede an individual who is exercising his/her 2nd amendment rights of self protection. For without the 2nd amendment, none of the other Bill Of Rights would exist in a free society today.

If you sir, are so concerned for the "publics safety", why don’t you spend your resources publishing the complete details of all felons, sex offenders, child molesters, domestic abusers, etc. running loose in your area, instead of law abiding citizens who are willing to take responsibility for their own safety. I'll bet the good citizens would be much more interested in which criminals are living next door to them!

PS: I certainly HOPE that some of the folks you listed are former or retired LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS. In Florida, if ANY of those on the list are former or retired LEOs it's a 3rd degree FELONY. Have a nice day!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

Administrator

Look Up Their Names

Look Up Their Names and addresses. Everybody on the newspaper staff. Their own names and home addresses are also "In The Public Domain"
    Take out an ad and publish their names and addresses in their own paper.
    Title It:
    ATTENTION CRIMINALS AND THIEVES:
    Here are the names and addresses of the people that
    work for a newspaper that is decidedly Anti~gun and Anti~Personal Protection. My best guess is that they have absolutely no way to protect
    themselves or their homes and possessions.
    Here is where they Live:

Joe Schmoe
    123 Anywhere Lane
    Anytown, AnyState 12345
    usa

Then...if the newspaper refuses to print your ad. Sue them.

Geesh QK.....I love your train of thought....what a splendid idea!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter

Look Up Their Names and addresses. Everybody on the newspaper staff. Their own names and home addresses are also "In The Public Domain"
    Take out an ad and publish their names and addresses in their own paper.
    That almost gives me an idea for another website. Publish the names and addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, pictures, etc of anyone that does this sort of thing. And we could invite the criminals to come and get the information. "They are ripe and they are unarmed" could be the mantra. Come and get them....
    Bumper

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Email query sent to contact in Licensing department to inquire about my status (LE, hopefully not public).

Now it's up to you Floridians to put a permanent stop to this via legislation . . . while you still have pro-RKBA people in power.

DC Founder
    I just fired off an email to them as well. Thanks, Sarhog for posting their email address.
    Bumper

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links