Thoughts on anti gun folks

This is a discussion on Thoughts on anti gun folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I often read where someone has done something or says something that makes gun owners look like slobs, jerks, or any of the other stereotypes. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on anti gun folks

Thoughts on anti gun folks

I often read where someone has done something or says something that makes gun owners look like slobs, jerks, or any of the other stereotypes. Someone will reply that this gives more "ammo" to the anti-gunners to validate their beliefs. " We should be more careful with our words and actions." "We don't want to further antagonize or make us look bad"

My belief is they already have formed their anti gun opinions, they have used lies and distortions about facts, and they will sink to any level to discredit gun owners. Why should we fear those who lie anyways to further their agenda? They are truly hard-core people spewing their lies and misinformation and would never change their opinion no matter how firm the facts are.

Why fear antagonizing liars like this? Their goal is to completely ban our guns. They won't let anything like the truth stop them. Thoughts? Thanks, john

2. Remove Ads

Just look at my tag line...Sure THEY have already made up their minds, but what about those on the edge???

It's not what you say, it's what they hear.
    Last edited by bob21bobby; August 3rd, 2007 at 09:20 PM. Reason: no tag line

Senior Moderator
    Why fear antagonizing liars like this? Their goal is to completely ban our guns. They won't let anything like the truth stop them. Thoughts? Thanks, john
    What is there to fear ?
    They dont have any guns,so their words are a waste of air.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    My belief is they already have formed their anti gun opinions
    This is about true but - despite that tho it seems ill advised to present them with more ''ammo'' on a plate - actual instances they can actually cite, over and above their fantasy rhetoric.

I still believe it has to be in our own best interests to present a unified and stable picture of responsibility - the fight is hard enough already without driving wedges in ''their'' favor.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    We could all be good spokesmen, by doing so strengthens our position. The message we deliver could neutralize the anti-gunner or sway the fence-sitter. I wonder if the NRA website has tips on dealing with impromptu encounters with those folks that don't understand guns and shooting?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

While it's true hard core anti's have made up their mind and often use false "facts" there are those who try to balance their beliefs by listening to both sides. It is these individuals that can be swayed by someone that may not appear quite so intelligent in making certain statements or acting a certain way. One example is the YouTube debate. The only 2A question that made it shows an individual who calls his AK-47 his "baby" and asks are they going to protect his "baby". Not really the front we want to show in fighting to maintain our rights.

Opposing sides will always look for the weakest link.
    Anti-gun is anti-American in my view. We need to try to get the next generation of voters indoctrinated into our beliefs or they stand a real chance of losing all their freedoms.
    The media has shown themselves to be against us and the You Tube thing is no exception. What makes it bizarre to me is that if second amendment rights are dissolved then first amendment rights will fall right behind them. (Fairness doctrine being pushed by the left.)

Administrator
    Many people are only anti-gun because they are basically firearm ignorant.
    In their minds guns are dangerous and so they are really only anti-gun because they are anti anything that they perceive to be "dangerous" to the general public.
    You cannot really blame them...they have been Bombarded Brainwashed CONSTANTLY by the Liberal Left Wing media.
    The neverending lies and the slanted Bullshoot spewed out by the media is in their face every day. They (quite naturally) bite on and believe All Of It because they have no personal experience with firearms at all.
    Many of them are victims of the worthless agenda driven deceitful "sack of shirt" media.
    And so YES, our actions DO influence them and sometimes (sadly) reinforce the negative and HOPEFULLY sometimes influence them to the positive.

So WHY (you ask) should we be concerned about what and HOW they think?
    The answer is because many of them go to the polls and they VOTE.
    And we (as gun owners) should be VERY concerned about how people vote in this country.
    I hope that answers your question.

Personally, I think it is important to look at the next generation coming of age. Advertisers, educators, etc. do a great job of looking to our youth to further their products or ideas. The "pro-gun" community should do the same. Its a dangerous world out there and our youth deserve to know the facts. The government can only do so much to protect us, but in our communities and our daily life it is up to "we the people".
    Shidoshi E. Scott Damron
    www.impactninjutsu.com

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Many people are only anti-gun because they are basically firearm ignorant.

So WHY (you ask) should we be concerned about what and HOW they think?
    The answer is because many of them go to the polls and they VOTE.
    And we (as gun owners) should be VERY concerned about how people vote in this country.
    I hope that answers your question.
    If you speak on a wider scope, many voters are simply 'politically ignorant'. So many in our country do not even know the 'three branches of government' or why, how or by whom or country was founded. Many do not understand the issues of today nor do they care. One big reason is because these things just aren't being taught in school anymore or if so, are only touched upon. The 'liberal left' has obtained too much a 'hold' on public education in the last 2-3 decades and this extends all the way up to the professors in our colleges and universities. All polls and studies show that 85-90% of professors and "jounalists" are liberal. Their intent is more to 'push their liberal agenda' than to 'educate'.
    IMHO, this is exactly what the 'left' wants. They 'do not' want 'informed' voters. They just want people to vote by being swayed by rhetoric and media opinion.
    This is why 'talk radio' is such a thorn in the sides of the democratic liberal left. It's listeners are much more politically informed, think on their own and are not so influenced by the so called 'elite media'.
    This is why it is so important that 'we' as 'pro gun enthusiats' portray a positive image to the public. At the same time we can influence those around us and those 'sitting on the edge' with our actions, dialogue and logic.
    I would feel much more optimistic for the future of our country if all voters had to show a certain level of knowledge in our government, the issues or even that they are responsible, productive citizens. But this is not the case. We must do whatever we can to inform, educate and influence those around us and make sure our votes are counted at the polls. To heck with the rest.
    Just my $.02.

The previous posters have said all that needs to be said but. . . . hey. . . .when have I EVER been able to keep my mouth shut.

I agree with the original poster that the anti's have made up their closed minds and NOTHING will change that.

That target audience are those people who are not necessarily anti gun; they just don't know much about 'em.

They are constantly bombarded with messages of "sensible gun control" and "it's for the children". On the surface, if you don't delve too far into the subject, these comments seem sensible.

During an appropriate conversation, they could be persuaded to go to the range with you and learn about gun safety.

The last thing we need is for these people to see news stories about some idiot killed or injured someone because he did something stupid with a gun.

That is why we need gun owners act like responsible adults. Don't just talk about gun safety or practice it; we need to LIVE it!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Thanks to all who have replied. You have given me much to think about, especially the next generation. Many young shooters (I am 47) don't remember having to sign a log book when they bought ammounition. Some don't even remember the Assault Weapon Ban.john

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    This is about true but - despite that tho it seems ill advised to present them with more ''ammo'' on a plate - actual instances they can actually cite, over and above their fantasy rhetoric.

I still believe it has to be in our own best interests to present a unified and stable picture of responsibility - the fight is hard enough already without driving wedges in ''their'' favor.
    This idea could not be stated better, we should even watch flippant remarks on forums.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    [QUOTE=jhh3rd;446546]I often read where someone has done something or says something that makes gun owners look like slobs, jerks, or any of the other stereotypes. Someone will reply that this gives more "ammo" to the anti-gunners to validate their beliefs. " We should be more careful with our words and actions." "We don't want to further antagonize or make us look bad"

My belief is they already have formed their anti gun opinions, they have used lies and distortions about facts, and they will sink to any level to discredit gun owners. Why should we fear those who lie anyways to further their agenda? They are truly hard-core people spewing their lies and misinformation and would never change their opinion no matter how firm the facts are.

I completely agree with you. I feel that most anti-gunners, in order to even say or do the things they do already, have to be dyed-in-the-wool liars, and as such will never yield to the idea of us being right even when a fair debate has proved it. So why bother? They cause us to fritter away our energy. Best to just ignore them, and not bother trying to convince them. Go for those who have not yet formed an opinion, or are on the fence.

Assistant Administrator
    So why bother?
    Because ........ out of all the anti's there must be some (maybe just a few) who have some semblance of intelligence and are not yet fully brainwashed ... that's why.!!!

Any and every one of those who sees bad behavior from the gun owning folks, will only reinforce their opinions. It may seem a losing battle but - give an inch - they'll take a yard. Sorry - I prefer responsible people to be seen as such ... however much it seems like beating one's head on a brick wall.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links