No CC at Gunshows?

No CC at Gunshows?

This is a discussion on No CC at Gunshows? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably been beat to death in here Seems silly to me not to allow CC at gunshows. You can't bring loaded weapons in, but yet ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No CC at Gunshows?

No CC at Gunshows?

Probably been beat to death in here

Seems silly to me not to allow CC at gunshows. You can't bring loaded weapons in, but yet you can buy guns. mags, and ammo inside! If you really wanted to cause trouble you could either ignore the signs like any free-fire zone, or just buy stuff inside.

I can "maybe" see the no loaded rule, with people showing off, selling guns. But a CC piece you're not showing anyone and if you are, you probably aren't bringing it in concealed.

In the meantime, you're bait for any criminal walking to/from your car and/or the criminals know there are plenty of guns probably waiting inside parked cars.

The show I went to wouldn't allow ANY ammo brought from outside in the show. I assumed I could just unload my gun, have them tie it up and walk in, but NOOO. I had to take my ammo back outside through the 90+ heat just to get back in. Should have just kept my mouth shut I guess. Don't ask, don't tell.

Totally ridiculous IMO.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    The last gun show I went to, I decided to inquire about their "No loaded firearms" sign, and asked them if it applied to CCW. They told me "No concealed carry." So I had to go back out to my vehicle and put my Glock 19 and all ammo in the glove compartment. I don't think I'll be going to anymore gun shows, because they're all full of useless junk anyway.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

It may seem "idiotic" to you, but I have seen enough "IDIOTS" at gunshows and gunstores to know the reason behind this.

Not everyone has the same level of training, and let's face one important fact. No gun is safe if it is not in MY HANDS. Since me keeping all the guns out there is impossible and impracticle I see no reason why gunshows shouldn't be able to ban them.

Idiots, bullets and guns don't mix. Now, before you jump on me and I have to don my "flame suit", the "MY HANDS" comment was coming from an LEO/Gun Handler perspective. Back when I used to work in a gunshop I got "swept" too many times by people with "unloaded" guns that were in fact loaded. Don't show me your's, I won't show you mine.

I'm not saying that LEO's are the only ones trained enough to handle a gun. That is far from the truth, and most LEO's scare me with their poor firearms handling. Please don't think that I am some sort of "all knowing Supreme gun guru" either. I am far from that.

I think that when you have a multitude of people with various levels of ability and training walking around you have to make the rules to apply to the "lowest common denominator" which is the IDIOT that has no clue which end the bullets come out of the gun of.

Yes, this will inconvenience any decent gun handler, and it SUCKS. However it is the price we pay for the stupid people in society. With the advances in medicine today we have interferred with Darwinism to the point that stoopid people outnumber the smart ones. Anybody know where I can get some boolits fer dis gat?

Biker

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Seems silly to me not to allow CC at gunshows.
    It IS.

It's a tacit admission by gun folks that CCW cannot be accomplished safely.

Look at the hay that the anti-gunners could make if they decided to publicize that those of us who believe in CCW won't even let our own kind do it at a gun show!

You can't bring loaded weapons in, but yet you can buy guns. mags, and ammo inside! If you really wanted to cause trouble you could either ignore the signs like any free-fire zone, or just buy stuff inside.

I can "maybe" see the no loaded rule, with people showing off, selling guns. But a CC piece you're not showing anyone and if you are, you probably aren't bringing it in concealed.

In the meantime, you're bait for any criminal walking to/from your car and/or the criminals know there are plenty of guns probably waiting inside parked cars.
    Exactly.

I never obey that idiotic rule. I go to gun shows, and when they ask if I have a gun on me, I shake my head, say, "Nope," and walk on in. The idea that I should be disarmed while going in to possibly buy a weapon, then have to come out and take it to my car where I could get robbed of it in the parking lot by someone who stalked me since the purchase, is absurd. The parking lot of the South Florida Fairgrounds is pretty damned big. It's not hard to imagine someone lurking between the rows of cars, looking like anyone else coming or going to the show, approaching and pointing a gun or knife at you, saying, "Don't make a sound, just hand over your gun and money," and getting away with it. I want the fighting chance of CCW when I return to my car. I will not give it up. That and an alert demeanor will help to keep me safe on the way home from the show, far better than just alertness alone.

Be advised, you are going to see people here come out and champion this ridiculous, hypocritical rule, and claim that it helps keep negligent discharges at bay. Nonsense. This kind of rule has nothing to do with how many NDs we do or don't have at gun shows.

The show I went to wouldn't allow ANY ammo brought from outside in the show. I assumed I could just unload my gun, have them tie it up and walk in, but NOOO. I had to take my ammo back outside through the 90+ heat just to get back in. Should have just kept my mouth shut I guess. Don't ask, don't tell.
    Totally ridiculous IMO.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Keep your mouth shut, stay armed. Open your mouth, get disarmed. Your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    It may seem "idiotic" to you, but I have seen enough "IDIOTS" at gunshows and gunstores to know the reason behind this.
    I am not an "idiot" with my CCW gun, and I have already stated that I do not relinquish it to enter gun shows. But I am proof that anyone, idiot or genius, can take his CCW gun into a gun show if he simply wants to. That being the case, I don't see how an unenforced rule is believed to be making anyone safer.

So those idiots may be the reason behind the rule, but that doesn't mean that the rule effectively does what it sets out to do.

Yes, this will inconvenience any decent gun handler, and it SUCKS. However it is the price we pay for the stupid people in society.
    You just gave the anti-gunners their reason to ban CCW, or ban guns, from society at large: we're all too stupid and reckless to have them. The gun show is just a microcosm of society, after all. When the anti-gunners see that we gun people don't even want other gun people carrying guns in a gun environment, they see us admitting that people having guns is a formula for disaster. Nice job, that.

It will not "inconvenience" decent gun handlers: it will ENDANGER them. Let's not softpedal the effects of this kind of rule. The funny thing is, it will endanger only those dumb enough to obey the rule and go along with it. The rest of us simply okey-doke the guy at the door and say, "Naw, I don't have a gun; that's what I'm a-goin' ta buy, hyuck hyuck," and we remain armed and safer than if we had obeyed the ill-conceived rule.

Well spoken, Peacefuljeffrey, Indeed!
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I really hate it when I can sorta see both sides to an argument.

The main difference in concealed carry out in the general public and concealed carry at gun shows is that out in the general public, you are not handling firearms and at gun shows you are.

There are probably a lot of people who legally carry concealed who are not the safest with their firearms.

I have been "swept" at guns shows more times than I can count. Who is to say some bozo won't pull his loaded gun to check it in a new holster.

Now. . . . . .having said that, I don't plan on going to gun shows or gun stores who aren't concerned for my safety. If I have to disarm, I will simply shop somewhere else.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I really hate it when I can sorta see both sides to an argument.

The main difference in concealed carry out in the general public and concealed carry at gun shows is that out in the general public, you are not handling firearms and at gun shows you are.

There is no justification for handling your CCW GUN at the gun show. If you plan to be showing it for sale, pack it in a box or case, unloaded, and CCW SOMETHING ELSE that day!

I have been "swept" at guns shows more times than I can count. Who is to say some bozo won't pull his loaded gun to check it in a new holster.
    Who is to say that that bozo would even comply with the rule in the first place?! That's my point. By the time he pulls his loaded gun and someone can say, "Hey, you have a CCW that's not allowed here," he's already swept you and endangered you.

And if he demurs from taking out that gun because he knows that to show he ignored the No-CCW rule would get him in trouble, then... problem solved. But then, you might as well allow CCW and post signs at the door and everywhere, including at tables, that say, "Your CCW gun MUST REMAIN CONCEALED or you will be ejected from the gun show."

How about that?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

It will not "inconvenience" decent gun handlers: it will ENDANGER them. Let's not softpedal the effects of this kind of rule. The funny thing is, it will endanger only those dumb enough to obey the rule and go along with it. The rest of us simply okey-doke the guy at the door and say, "Naw, I don't have a gun; that's what I'm a-goin' ta buy, hyuck hyuck," and we remain armed and safer than if we had obeyed the ill-conceived rule.
    So, are we free to disagree rules we consider silly? Not that they are truly silly and idiotic but it is your personal opinion that they are stupid. Will you do the same with Laws that you consider Silly?

Michael Bloomberg and that journalist from the Boston Herald broke established federal laws doing Straw Purchases and they also consider silly that anybody would dare taking them to jail. After all they want to make people safe, right?

There is a difference between them and us: We must play by the rules just to show how hypocrites the other side is and we do our changes within the law, with our grassroots efforts and our votes.

You do not like a gun show that does not allow you to carry? Fine do not go. It is that simple. There are always other options you can take and remain inside your principles.
    I hope I am making myself clear.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'm gonna have to recuse myself from this discussion. It's clear that I am not getting through to some people with what I consider to be a very easy message. Besides, all I'd be doing is restating the same thing again and again.

Obey the dumb rule if you want to, folks. Just don't pretend that your doing so means others are doing so, or that the rule is actually creating safety. Have fun on this one without me. I just don't want to get myself in trouble in this discussion, and that's exactly where I'd be headed. I find the intransigence of some people and their "logic" maddening.

Sponsor
    I don't go to many gun shows.
    They have turned into flea markets for crap and semi-captive audiences for the high priced dealers to mislead the generally uninformed new gun buyer who thinks he's getting a good deal because he is at a "Gun Show". Wheoo! that was a mouth full!
    That being said, there are a few larger shows in my area that I do attend a couple times a year to save the shipping cost on reloading supplies. I have never seen a sign that says I can't carry. I have seen signs that say "No outside transactions"and/or "No dealing in parking lot". I have seen stations for clearing and tieing out weapons and I have seen shows that have none of the above. No one has ever asked me if I was carrying or told me that I could not carry in the show. I would imagine that any Idiot who pulled a concealed weapon out try it in a holster would have a hard time making it out of the area without being pistol whipped by the vendor. Who, BTW is most definitely carrying.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    So, are we free to disagree rules we consider silly?
    Yes, of course everyone's free to disagree. There are plenty of unjust, silly rules and laws out there.

But the one assured ramification of being disarmed is the inability to effectively defend one's self in the event of an attack. Can't fix that, if not armed. There is no logic that can get around that, as it's that simple. So, decide accordingly.

Me: I choose to not go to gun shows. No need, as there are plenty of alternatives.

Previous discussion last year, with good/varying points all around: clickie.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes, of course everyone's free to disagree. There are plenty of unjust, silly rules and laws out there.
    I should have written Disobey instead of disagree. My bad.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Blah, blah, blah, it's all been said before. I will leave with this parting shot.

Owning a gun is a RIGHT. Carrying it in public is a different thing entirely and I think training/testing should be mandatory before you can carry in public.

Carrying a firearm in public is a tremendous responsibility. Make sure that you can handle it, for if not, the repercussions can be devastating.

Biker

I think it is bull crap too. Several shows I have gone to have posted, "No loaded guns". Fine, I pull the mag. and take the round out of the chamber then re-holster. It's not loaded just as they asked but I don't have their stupid wire tie through my gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links