Getting stopped while carrying w/clients in the car?

This is a discussion on Getting stopped while carrying w/clients in the car? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying on my current job since day one, i have never signed anything or found anything in the "employee handbook" saying i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting stopped while carrying w/clients in the car?

Getting stopped while carrying w/clients in the car?

I have been carrying on my current job since day one, i have never signed anything or found anything in the "employee handbook" saying i cant carry on the job, and there are not any signs posted either, so i don't ask, don't tell. I am a car salesman and every day i have potential customers in cars on test drives. i was just thinking if we ever got pulled over i would have to inform the officer... God knows what my customers would say or think

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I'd say - cross that bridge when and if it occurs.

Your personal safety comes first and if at worst you lost a customer because of being ''made'' - that is preferable to losing one's life. I say carry on, altho hoping it would not lead to loss of job of course.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    My take on the matter is, you are fully legal; and within company policies. Therefore if you lose a sale due to an ignorant customer, so be it.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Yea, that would be a stange deal.

I look at it as if you have to tell the officer in Arizona, you are a valid permit holder and that proves right there you are among that top 15% in the country.

I would look at it as an education opportunity but speak with great knowledge and even practice what you would/will say if this happens.

If you have never had professional training, get some and fall back on that too, letting them know you are not just carrying a gun cause you can or to be macho as the lib's all think that is our reasoning.

Promote self protection, protection of family, etc. As well as you don't know everyone and most if not all customers start out being strangers and you don't know who you are getting involved with on these test rides.

Maybe find (google) a case where a car salesman/woman or similar was held up at gun point and the car was stolen or even worse if they were shot or killed. If you do it right just about anybody with any sense can be educated enough to actually get at least part of what you are saying, maybe enough for them to be calm and not blow your cover and freak out to your boss.

It's all in how you present it. Your are a salesman, you shouldn't have any trouble selling what you believe.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

i was just thinking, we are a huge local dealership, the H.R. dept would not be pleased i wonder if i could ask the officer for a "word in private" and get out and explain to the officer that i am legally carrying and did not want to announce it in front of my customer.
    i just know i am bound to get pulled over sooner or later, especially the way some customer like to "test drive" i had a guy last week take a supercharged coupe to 100mph + in a 40mph zone...

Weired double post!
    Last edited by Ti Carry; August 5th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

VIP Member
    I think it's good to decide what you're going to do now and not later when you might wish you had thought about it more!

If I were with a car salesman and we got stopped, that in itself would tick me off! But if he announced he was carrying, I'd probably think he just didn't want to get hijacked and robbed.

As the saying goes, "it's easier to get forgiveness than permission". But there's also another saying that says, "I was looking for a job when I found this one".

I stand by my signature below...
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    i wonder if i could ask the officer for a "word in private" and get out and explain to the officer that i am legally carrying and did not want to announce it in front of my customer.
    Figure out exactly what you would say to the officer. Then print it on a small piece of paper or the back of a business card. Hand it to the officer if you get pulled over with a customer. You've now fulfilled your 'duty to inform' without opening your mouth.

Stories I googled of car salesman that had a bad day and didn't make it home.

Here is a good one!

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2007/07...hoots-two.html

A real good one here:

http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news...r_salesman.php

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/1205/284513.html

Yep, another one:

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bi...ase&no=9830324

Another one:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/04/13/gr...ren/index.html

Another one, but with a twist:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07152007...d_hamilton.htm

Another one:

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1479564/posts

Another one:

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturd...7/murder.shtml

Another one, read the full story!

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...0431/1004/NEWS

Good revenge:

http://www.feedsfarm.com/article/487...41020d495.html

It's getting good now:

http://www.wnep.com/global/story.asp?s=6811735

I'd print these out and do even more research, copy them, laminate them and put them in your office to pull out if you need somemore back up or proof that bad things happen to good people, even if you are a car salesman.

That took me about ten minutes to sift though, I am sure there is many more stories like them.

Stay armed.........

Ti

Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by 40S&WMAN View Post
    I have been carrying on my current job since day one, i have never signed anything or found anything in the "employee handbook" saying i cant carry on the job, and there are not any signs posted either, so i don't ask, don't tell. I am a car salesman and every day i have potential customers in cars on test drives. i was just thinking if we ever got pulled over i would have to inform the officer... God knows what my customers would say or think
    Hmmm. worlds best job(stand around, talk to people, go on car ride, ....worlds worst job, trapped in car with angry stranger). Ain't nothin a car deal can't fix!

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

No duty to inform in AZ

Arizona DPS letter that was sent with your permit states;
    "For safety reasons, if contacted by a law enforcement officer while carrying a concealed weapon, we suggest the following;
    1. keep hands in plain sight
    2.inform officer that you have a permit to carry and advise officer of the location of weapon
    3.If requested, produce the permit and weapon to the officer.

The key word here is suggested... If it were me, I would keep both hands in sight, with my permit and my DL between two fingers, present to officer upon request. In AZ we do not have to disclose that we are carrying, it's a good idea to disclose that you are, but I think it could be handeled discretly. I would not say anything until asked, remember, you are not doing anything wrong by carrying a firearm...JMO....hope I didn't just start a flame war!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member
    I recall about ten years ago that a car salesman was killed on a "test drive" near Shreveport Louisiana, I think another from Mansfield Louisiana about 20 years ago. This is just from my memory, sorry no links.
    I'd save all this info and have it ready to go if your HR decided to talk to you about this. These news stories could help you quite a bit in your discussion with them. I think from the HR standpoint that they are going to be concerned over "their liability" with salesmen ccw, and the potential affect on sales and their image if your ccw became widely known.
    Ultimately the very best situation is for you to be undetectable and discreet so that no one ever knows.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

As suggested above, I wondered if you had to inform. Especially if your just a passenger.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

+1 on no duty to inform in Arizona. Since I assume the agency you work for ensures that it does not sell stolen cars, if you're stopped it will probably be for a minor traffic incident. If anything, I would announce that you're a salesman doing a test drive and give him a business card, in which case the officer's alertness meter will probably drop a couple notches and he'll instead focus on the driver.

+1 on "No Duty to inform in AZ.

As far as the business card idea, +1. It's a great way to get a future client. You are a car salesman, you are even suppossed to pass them out at funerals.

Biker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links