Defensive Carry banner

Moving To Texas (Maybe)

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  AirForceShooter 
#1 ·
It seems my job may be taking me to Fort Worth, Texas. I currently have a Georgia CCW and believe it will be accepted until expiration. Does anyone know if this is correct, or am I going to have to obtain a Texas CCW as soon as I set up residency?

#2 ·
There is reciprocity. I live in Fort Worth and my dad lives in Powder Springs Ga. I would apply for a Texas permit as soon as possible because it takes about three months to receive it. Let's go shooting sometime.

#3 ·
I don't know if it is required, but it is convenient. With a Texas CHL the purchase process for handguns is very quick and easy. Normally you have to be a resident for six months before you can get a TX permit, but if you already have one from another state they waive that requirement.

#4 ·
RonWill: Welcome to Texas! Come on down....

#5 ·
I would contact Texas authorities immediatly and get the low down on this.
Since you will be a resident of Texas you will have to get the Texas CCW.
As a visitor to Texas, your Georgia CCW is recognized. But as a new resident, I'm not sure. They may recognize it if you have applied for the Texas permit. Give them a call to make sure.
Here's a link:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlsindex.htm

#6 ·
Welcome to Texas. Remember, Pico de Gallo is not the beak of the chicken no matter what they tell you.

You'll enjoy Fort Worth, if not, you're surrounded by other great towns such as Arlington, Dallas, Lubbock (I think), Grapevine, Lewisville, Denton, list goes on.

As far as the CCW, Texas is pretty flexible from what I hear. But like P7fanatic said, check with them immediately. Best time to call the state is on Wednesday mornings, less wait time from experience.

#7 ·
Let's see, might be moving from GA to Ft. Worth....sounds like Lockheed Martin to me. Anyway, you'll like Ft Worth. Everything WEST of there is great, toward dallas, it turns to crpa. Hope you enjoy it, it's not a bad place to live, people are friendly and there is a BASS Pro and Caballas close by, also a Cheaper than Dirt......property taxes are toooo high, but the crime rate isn't to bad. Fortunately, there are just enough gang shootings to keep the scum population down.

#9 ·
Bring moolah!

Moving to TX?

Bachman's, Cheaper than Dirt, BassPro, Cabelas, Beretta Gallery (flakes), TNG Hardware, Tulsa Gun Show (driveable).

Hah!:biggrin2:

#10 ·
#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies and welcomes, the move is not set in stone yet. I know that Georgia will continue to accept my current permit until it expires even moving out of state. I didn't know Texas law and will contact them concerning their acceptance. I've been to Texas on numerous occasions and think it's a great state. Their carry laws are a little more clear than Georgia's, they don't have the vague "Public Gathering" statute for one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.