Pulled Over

Pulled Over

This is a discussion on Pulled Over within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got pulled over today for doing 68 in a 55 and it was my first time since getting my Permit. I was carrying and ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulled Over

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Pulled Over

I got pulled over today for doing 68 in a 55 and it was my first time since getting my Permit. I was carrying and when the officer approached my window I was nervous even though I was legal. I had my hands in the air like i had just robbed a bank and was waitng on the cuffs. He asked do you know how fast you were doin? No sir . 68 in a 55 , why do you have your hands in the air. I have a weapon in my posession and I have a permit sir. He never asked for my license until i told him I was packin. Next he asked me if I would Mind exiting the vehicle and allowing him to disarm me for his safety. i said no sir that would be Ok. I get out of the vehicle and he ask me to put my hands on the vehicle so he could disarm me and remember I am a Pastor. I turn and realize I am in front of one of my members house with An Arkansas State trooper disarming me while my hands are on the vehicle. Great How Am I going to answer this one. Well I was speeding but I walked away with a warning and a slow down. He asked if I minded if he just laid my gun in the seat in stead of handing it back to me and I said that would be ok. Very nervous was I. My first time being approached by a officer while carrying. Overall I felt better after it was over. Maybe some of you would Share your first time and how it turned out good or bad.

Do you need to inform officers in Arkansas that you are carrying?

I'm glad the stop went okay for you. A warning is certainly better than a ticket! I could understand the nervousness. In the future, keeping your hands on the steering wheel looks less jumpy to the cops, might want to do that.

Oh, and I'm sure you'll be hearing about this come mass Sunday! Best of luck to you! :-p
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Assistant Administrator
    Good result Tim it'd seem - other than for your nervous system!! Oh and maybe your street cred' with the 'brothers'

I have yet to face a stop over the 7 years I have been here when carrying - oh, other than one in KS when I stopped at an intersection just over the line! Guy musta been bored but pulled me!

Checked me, the wife and just issued warning. Not carrying back then but in fact did have a truck full of guns. All secure I might add.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Glad it went well for you, and hope you are more comfortable now with the confirmation that when you are legal, there is nothing to be nervous about.

Of course, you could avoid this in the future by slowing down a little bit.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

From where I stand the cop does not find out I'm carrying unless its required by law or he asks if there are firearms in the vehicle. I am, after all, a law-abiding citizen and the last thing I'm gonna do is get a long stretch in the slammer for shooting or attempting to shoot an LEO. Its part of my KISS program.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    I got pulled over today for doing 68 in a 55 and it was my first time since getting my Permit. I was carrying and when the officer approached my window I was nervous even though I was legal. I had my hands in the air like i had just robbed a bank and was waitng on the cuffs. He asked do you know how fast you were doin? No sir . 68 in a 55 , why do you have your hands in the air. I have a weapon in my posession and I have a permit sir. He never asked for my license until i told him I was packin. Next he asked me if I would Mind exiting the vehicle and allowing him to disarm me for his safety. i said no sir that would be Ok. I get out of the vehicle and he ask me to put my hands on the vehicle so he could disarm me and remember I am a Pastor. I turn and realize I am in front of one of my members house with An Arkansas State trooper disarming me while my hands are on the vehicle. Great How Am I going to answer this one. Well I was speeding but I walked away with a warning and a slow down. He asked if I minded if he just laid my gun in the seat in stead of handing it back to me and I said that would be ok. Very nervous was I. My first time being approached by a officer while carrying. Overall I felt better after it was over. Maybe some of you would Share your first time and how it turned out good or bad.
    Sounds like you did fine.

What did he do with you weapon after he disarmed you? Did he unload it? Did he hold it during the entire stop? Did he go back to his unit to run your license?

Details, details...

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Sounds like you did fine.

What did he do with you weapon after he disarmed you? Did he unload it? Did he hold it during the entire stop? Did he go back to his unit to run your license?

Details, details...
    He checked it out ! Put it on his dash, Then wrote the warning in the vehicle while I waited. And I should say i deserved a ticket because I was not paying attention but I think he gave me a break because it was evident Something was goin on. He was cool about it.

Senior Moderator
    He actually made you disarm ?

Must have been a newbie. First time Ive ever heard of that happening.
    Where did this talke place ?

Do you need to inform officers in Arkansas that you are carrying?
    The LAW does not require you to inform but the ASP "asks" that the Instructors advise the students that it may be within their best intrests to inform the officer. In either case...its up to the individual.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    He actually made you disarm ?

Must have been a newbie. First time Ive ever heard of that happening.
    Where did this talke place ?

The LAW does not require you to inform but the ASP "asks" that the Instructors advise the students that it may be within their best intrests to inform the officer. In either case...its up to the individual.
    Yep . On Hwy 425 near Pine Bluff

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

In Texas if stopped by the DPS, most likely you will be asked if you are liscensed to carry and if you are carrying. If you are carrying it is up to the officer's discretion to disarm you or not.

I had seen a web site that had all of the states listed with whether or not it was a requirement to inform a patrol officer if you were carrying.
    Anybody else seen it?

You did well considering your nerves and all.

FWIW-My thoughts:
    I feel that it is a "firearm". It becomes a "weapon" when you use it as such (much like a car, a baseball bat, a steak/pocket knife, etc...becomes a "weapon" when a person uses it in such a manner)
    If I ever get pulled over and am carrying and am in a need-to "inform" area.... I plan on informing the officer that I am: "Legally carrying a licensed firearm".
    That's just me....

Senior Member Array kahrcarrier's Avatar
    Been stopped twice for relatively minor traffic infractions by state troopers, both times after dark.

I pull over and shut off my engine, quickly throw my wallet onto the dashboard, then turn on the dome light and place both of my hands on the top of the steering wheel where they can be plainly seen.

When the officer arrives at my window, I supply him with whatever info and paperwork he requests.

In both cases I said nothing about my concealed pistol, and neither was I asked. No problems.

VIP Member
    I'm thinking he disarmed you because you were obviously nervous. Maybe , maybe not. He may not have disarmed someone else.
    Glad all went well.

Thumbs down First off

You should know better and show a better example. You are a pastor and was caught speeding by a good margin....

If you were not speeding, you would not have been pulled over in the first place.

Rant mode now off.

steve

Assistant Administrator
    I think Tim has learned a lesson, without having to endure a "rant mode"! Pastors are fallible like everyone else.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links