Cross Country Road Trip

This is a discussion on Cross Country Road Trip within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi All, My oldest is heading to Rutgers to get her PhD and we are driving her car out there the end of this month. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Road Trip

Cross Country Road Trip

Hi All,

My oldest is heading to Rutgers to get her PhD and we are driving her car out there the end of this month. I have been researching the state laws for CCW and simple handgun ownership and transport. I opted to take I70 for most of the trip rather than I80 because the CCW laws in the states we would cross on the southerly route are much better. On I80 we would cross states that prohibit or severely restrict my Colorado CCW: NE, IA, and IL. The last few hundred miles we end up on I80 anyway.
    * Kansas: recognizes my Colorado CCW
    * Missouri: recognizes my Colorado CCW
    * Illinois: does not honor my Colorado CCW and does not have Peaceable Journey laws so my unloaded weapon gets locked in the trunk. Thanks goodness we’re not in Illinois for very long.
    * Kentucky: recognizes my Colorado CCW
    * Indiana: recognizes my Colorado CCW
    * Ohio: does not honor my Colorado CCW but honors my Florida non-resident; you can carry in a car if you Open carry only if you have a recognized CCW. Other wise the weapon must be locked in the glove compartment or in a locked case that is in plain sight
    * Pennsylvania: recognizes my Colorado CCW
    * New Jersey: does not honor my Colorado CCW and does not have Peaceable Journey laws so my unloaded weapon gets locked in the trunk. Under most circumstances it is unlawful to have in my possession hollow point ammunition. I decided against hardball to limit over penetration so I am making the trip with semi-wad cutters.

Anyone have any tips for these states or know of any gun related idiosyncrasies these states have?

Cheers,
    Mick

I say we take off, nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Cpl. Dwayne Hicks
    United States Colonial Marine Corps

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Ohio: does not honor my Colorado CCW but honors my Florida non-resident; you can carry in a car if you Open carry only if you have a recognized CCW. Other wise the weapon must be locked in the glove compartment or in a locked case that is in plain sight
    Check the OH deal - since a few months ago IIRC the mandated open carry in vehicle has been rescinded.

That's a long treck - one I did four years ago - before I had carry options in KS or OH.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Be aware that violating a prohibited or posted place in Kansas is it's own special crime, not leave else trespass. Since CC is new to us, there are plenty of signs about (most of them incorrect). You might see some posted parking lots, but those carry no legal weight.

All Kwik Shops are posted.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Ohio's car carry laws were changed as of March, 2007.

If you have a CHL recognized by the State of Ohio, you may carry a loaded pistol in a car in one of the following ways:

1. The loaded gun is in a holster secured on your person. (Ohio law previously required carrying a firearm in a holster in plain sight. This provision has been removed from the law)
    2. The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun( read purse, briefcase, fannypack that is zipped shut or latched), or
    3. The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed, locked glove compartment or in a case that is locked (no plain sight requirement)

We still have some work to do on car carry but this was an improvement.

One other caution: If stopped by law enforcement for a law enforcement, purpose you must keep you hands in plain sight, do not touch or attempt to touch your gun (felony), and immediately inform the officer that you are licensed and have handgun with you and its location. "Immediately" is not defined and some folks have found themselves at odds with selected law enforcement agencies, so inform right away even if you must interrupt the offficer when he/she approaches you.

The concealed carry publication is available from the AG website at www.ag.state.oh.us

Have a good trip.

VIP Member
    I think you can't legally do what you plan. The peaceable journey laws won't apply in NJ, because you will be stopping there and it is not a place where you are permitted to carry.

My understanding of the peaceable journey law is that you must be going from one place where you are legal to another where you will be legal.

Unless Jersey recognizes one of your licenses, you are out of luck.

Watch out for having extended magazines and hollow points in NJ. You might want to use the old 10 round mags with ball ammo just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by MickGIS View Post
    On I80 we would cross states that prohibit or severely restrict my Colorado CCW: NE, IA, and IL.
    Sorry about Nebraska..........we're working on that!

Until Nebraska adds reprocity, I can't carry in Colorado either, as they don't recognize Nebraska's permit or my Florida (non-resident) permit.

Hopefully we'll get that fixed soon as our corn is so much prettier than Kansas's............

Mike

1943 - 2009
    If you can get a copy before you begin your trip, the Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States, 2007 edition, will be a big help.

I recommend you take it with you.

http://www.gunlawguide.com/

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Not to hijack, but I love how CCW laws are changing. I recently made a trip from Oklahoma to Kentucky and then on to Florida. Illinois and South Carolina were the only two states that forced me to unarm. Luckily I wasn't in Illinois for long. South Carolina's law still surprise me, they are just so much different than the laws of other states in the region. Looking back, I should have gone back west and then south to avoid SC, but we were in a hurry so the gun just got locked in a safe in the trunk.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    You're going to have a major problem in New Jersey.
    You're not passing through. It's your destination State.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Get your daughter a Ruger for Rutger's?

VIP Member
    I've been driving back and forth between NoVA and KCMO all summer.

In KC take I-435 to the south/east. In the Overland Park area you will have traffic, but it is still better than going through town most of the time. You'll have a fair bit of traffic until you get east of KC about 15-20 miles then it thins out. MO is good with carry and you can car carry in MO without a permit. Troopers will give you 74-75, but I understand not more, I haven't tested more and run 74 in MO.

At St Louis take I-270 around the north side. There is an exit about mile 33 where you can get gas, fuel and disarm less than a mile from the IL border. You'll know you are close because of the MO welcome center signs. The area just across the state line in IL is a speed trap area for the local PD and there is some construction as well, so watch it. I have encountered back-ups for the construction zone as you come around the curve, you'll see what I mean when you get there.

If you fuel at that spot in MO then you will not need to stop in IL (takes me 2 hrs to cross IL). Just over the border into IN there is a rest area you can stop and re-arm. If you wait a few more miles there are plenty of places to stop for food and fuel in Terra Haute. IL is a 65 state and I run low 70s without issue so far. I have tested that.

Indy has been a mess all summer. There is a lot of construction around I-70 on the east side of Indy where it meets I-465, so watch that area. Indiana is 65 around Terra Haute and 70 except around Indy where it is 55. I run 74 in IN most of the time with no problem. Indy is a special case. When it is moving it is really moving.

Good to go through Ohio but all the rest stops are posted areas. Also around Dayton you will be in construction for awhile. Ohio is a 65 state but I run low 70s and have tested that without issue. At the last rest area you will want to stop again to dis-arm because WV doesn't recognize your permit. You will be in WV for about 18 miles (I take I-470 because I-70 through Wheeling is closed to through traffic) and can stop about 2-3 miles into PA at the rest area to re-arm. Now if you head up to I-80 while in Ohio (I-71?) you will miss WV.

Not sure why you listed Kentucky unless you are taking a side trip down there for some reason. You don't go through KY on I-70.

WV is a 70 state and PA is 55/65 depending. Run with traffic and no problem. There are usually so many cars on the road that I don't have a choice but to run with traffic. They will be averaging 10-15 over unless there is a problem. Troopers don't seem to mind it. I imagine there are enough folks doing 20+ for them to get. If you take the tollway at New Stanton where I-70 and I-76 merge there is usually a traffic jam due to construction at that exit. East of Somerset on the tollway they are working on the road east of the tunnel. That causes some traffic issues due barriers and trucks restricted to the left lane. It clears quickly so far.

From there our paths diverge and I have to dis-arm again for MD before hitting the Old Dominion. You 'll be good until you reach eastern PA. Since you cannot stay/stopover in NJ with a pistol you may want to get a hotel say in Easton, PA with a room safe or deposit box at the desk. A bit of a pain since it is an hour or so from Rutgers, but the alternative is to leave it at home.

As a side note, I'm not sure why you wouldn't stay on 70/76 until you reach I-81 about mid-PA and then head up to I-80. Or stay on the Tollway to Philly and head up that way. Just a suggestion. Some folks don't like toll roads so they avoid them. IIRC the bridge on I-80 is a toll at the PA/NJ line.

If you want to know about any potholes or such let me know. I am familiar with all of them because I seem to hit them all. If you haven't driven this route be ready for a sight when you come around the curve just after I-57 joins I-70 at Effingham, IL. Also driving by Vandalia, IL look to the south near the water tower, there's a big silver dragon someone made just in front of the tower. They can hook propane to it so it breaths fire, although I haven't seen that yet.

This travelogue brought to you by someone who has logged over 12K miles on I-70 since May. I'll be westbound again on Friday.

Safe travels.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    You're going to have a major problem in New Jersey.
    You're not passing through. It's your destination State.
    AFS
    Hi AFS,

Yes, I thought New Jersey would present special challenges. But strictly speaking I am just passing through NJ as I will be flying home to Colorado from the Newark airport. The NJ state police stated that the weapon must be unloaded and locked in a case which is in turn locked in the trunk. Is it against the law in NJ to merely have a weapon in your possession even if it is unloaded, locked in a case and out of reach?

Cheers,
    Mick

Cpl. Dwayne Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I've been driving back and forth between NoVA and KCMO all summer...

... You 'll be good until you reach eastern PA. Since you cannot stay/stopover in NJ with a pistol you may want to get a hotel say in Easton, PA with a room safe or deposit box at the desk. A bit of a pain since it is an hour or so from Rutgers, but the alternative is to leave it at home...
    Thanks Scott for all the information and advice.

So in NJ you cannot even have a pistol in your procession even if it is unloaded, locked in a case and locked in the trunk? Would the United Airline agent give me trouble when I declare the unloaded weapon in my checked luggage?

Man, what a pain.

Cpl. Dwayne Hicks

Handguns (all guns?) are actually outright banned in NJ. Ownership and possession is strictly through "exemptions" to the ban (FID cards). Really sad. I would call the NJSP and the airport that you plan to use and ask them about this.
    New York has been arresting people from out of state that attempt to declare a firearm at an airport because they are claiming that FOPA doesn't protect you since you are really making two seperate trips (one to NY and then from NY to your destination) which is BS if you ask me but that's how they are doing it here so I would at least contact the NJSP and ask what their stance is. Try sending them an email so that if the response is positive then you can at least have a printout of who you spoke with and what they had to say.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links