Can I Switch from VA Resident to Non-resident without a lot of red tape?

This is a discussion on Can I Switch from VA Resident to Non-resident without a lot of red tape? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently moved from VA to NM. I completed the necessary qualification shoot and will submit my application tomorrow. I have now found out that ...

Thread: Can I Switch from VA Resident to Non-resident without a lot of red tape?

Can I Switch from VA Resident to Non-resident without a lot of red tape?

I recently moved from VA to NM. I completed the necessary qualification shoot and will submit my application tomorrow. I have now found out that NM is incredibly backed up and some permits are taking up to 8 months.

I am wondering if I can convert my VA permit to a non-resident permit without a lot of red tape. Would this be easier than applying for FL non-resident? This would allow me to CC in NM until my NM permit comes through.

I have emailed the VSP and am waiting on a response.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

2. Remove Ads

Reciprocity

NM is reciprocal for licenses from these states...

AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI*, MO, MT, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA

So you're cool.

www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity

Always call your state police to verify that there is still reciprocity, and DO NOT CARRY until you clarify.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    NM is reciprocal for licenses from these states...

AK, AZ, ID, IN, KY, MI*, MO, MT, ND, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA

So you're cool.

www.ccrkba.org/reciprocity

Always call your state police to verify that there is still reciprocity, and DO NOT CARRY until you clarify.
    I think what he is saying is that he is no longer a valid VA resident, and therefore "Technically" his resident permit is not valid either? Therefore, he doesn't have a legal permit for anywhere yet. If the VSP would be nice and switch his old resident permit to a non-resident permit (should be doable), then he can use the reciprocity. Hard part is going to be finding the right person to talk with at VSP. However, I'm sure this is not the first time someone has moved out of VA and tried to do the same thing. Good luck.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

Quote Originally Posted by prawls View Post
    I think what he is saying is that he is no longer a valid VA resident, and therefore "Technically" his resident permit is not valid either? Therefore, he doesn't have a legal permit for anywhere yet. If the VSP would be nice and switch his old resident permit to a non-resident permit (should be doable), then he can use the reciprocity. Hard part is going to be finding the right person to talk with at VSP. However, I'm sure this is not the first time someone has moved out of VA and tried to do the same thing. Good luck.

Oh. Duh. Sorry. Excellent point.

A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

You do not need to do so.

I had this exact same question 2 yrs. ago upon moving to MA.
    I called to Richmond and spoke with the manager for the VA CHP program and she told me that a VA resident permit ids good for 5 years and is not stipulated by where a person lives. I specifically told her I moved out of state from Loudoun to MA and had recieved a MA LTC at that. She again stated I am good to go as by VA law once you are approved for the permit as a resident there is no stipulation toward you having to stay/reside in your town, county, or even state of initial approval (!).

This was again two years ago.
    I would encourage you to do the same as I did and contact the office in Richmond where they actually process and handle all VA state concealed carry permits.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You do not need to do so.

I had this exact same question 2 yrs. ago upon moving to MA.
    I called to Richmond and spoke with the manager for the VA CHP program and she told me that a VA resident permit ids good for 5 years and is not stipulated by where a person lives. I specifically told her I moved out of state from Loudoun to MA and had recieved a MA LTC at that. She again stated I am good to go as by VA law once you are approved for the permit as a resident there is no stipulation toward you having to stay/reside in your town, county, or even state of initial approval (!).

This was again two years ago.
    I would encourage you to do the same as I did and contact the office in Richmond where they actually process and handle all VA state concealed carry permits.

- Janq
    UMMM I don't know if that is true as of July 1st 2007. Check Virginia State Police Website, there are some very NEW stipulations IIRC on this topic.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

As I'd said it was two years ago.
    I would encourage dude to call down to Richmond and ask a human being in so many words what is the current rule.

Edit:
    I checked the VA State Police website and the rule has not changed...

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?

Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_nrcwp.htm.

Source - http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm
    He and I both are good to go and remain at 'resident' status toward the VA concealed handgun permit as issued.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

And...

After all of this, still call . And better, get it from someone on the Range at the State Police HQ (not the person who answers the phone).

Yep, and that is exactly what I did only I asked to specifically speak with the manager of the concealed handgun permit review office.
    It took me IIRC a week of repeated calls before I actually got through to her by voice and it was worth the effort.
    What she stated to me then is pretty much exactly what the VA State Police website states today.

It's best to be careful and sure now than sorry and wrong when pulled over.

- Janq

Thanks for the input. I will call and try to get email clarification. The main source of my question came from a little clause in the VA regs that states that the VA Resident Permit is valid with proper ID to include ID issued by Commonwealth of VA or select US Government Agencies listed on there website.

I have already changed my driver's license in effort to obtain a NM permit. Since I am not Military, I don't have other forms of ID listed on there website.

Again, I will call and probably try to get a non-resident permit from another state.

Thanks Again

Finally got an answer

This is an old thread but I wanted to share my answer.

I contacted Donna Tate with the the Commonwealth of Virginia. Thanks Savage for posting her contact info. She was a great help.

She clarified for me that resident permits can not be transferred to non-resident permits because they are issued by two different agencies.

However, she did say that the resident permit is valid for the life of the permit and does not have to be surrendered when you move out of the state. The permit clearly states that it must be carried with a "valid photo I.D." She stated that that is a photo ID issued by any government agency in the US, including a New Mexico driver's license.

Now I can go back to CCW while waiting on the NM permit.
    Last edited by gmitch40; August 28th, 2007 at 04:17 PM. Reason: More detail--contact was made 8/28/2007

Yep. ^^

Also keep in mind that at time of renewal (5 yrs.out) you then will be required to surrender the permit if you choose to not renew, as a resident.
    You then as a 'non-resident' would renew at that new status.
    IIRC from the conversation I'd had surrender can be done by mailing the permit to the licensing office in Richmond via carrier or signed receipt USPS or brought in in person if you happen to be in town.

- Janq

Links