NY state penalties for carry in a posted establishment?

This is a discussion on NY state penalties for carry in a posted establishment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My regal cinemas thread and the replies in it got me thinking.... What are the legal ramifications of carrying in a place that is legal ...

Thread: NY state penalties for carry in a posted establishment?

NY state penalties for carry in a posted establishment?

My regal cinemas thread and the replies in it got me thinking....

What are the legal ramifications of carrying in a place that is legal to carry but is posted here in NY state? I don't mean a court house or other government building. I mean a store or something like that.

If someone were to find out and the police were called is asking you to leave the most they can do? Criminal charges like arrest you on trespassing charges? Some sort of illegal possession of a weapon, the same as carrying in a gov't building? Revoke your permit?

Does anyone know or have a link to some info on it? When I see the sign I turn around and leave because 1) I'm not risking my permit that took 8 months to get and 2) I won't give my money to those places but I still wonder.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Not sure at all of the signage descriptions and legalities there but - for most places where a notice is not invoking a truly legal mandate to forbid carry - the initial response should be - asked to leave (if discovered).

Failure to aquiesce to this would lead to probably a trespass.

I have no specific source for info and hope someone from NY can assist with more detailed data.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    My regal cinemas thread and the replies in it got me thinking....

What are the legal ramifications of carrying in a place that is legal to carry but is posted here in NY state? I don't mean a court house or other government building. I mean a store or something like that.

If someone were to find out and the police were called is asking you to leave the most they can do? Criminal charges like arrest you on trespassing charges? Some sort of illegal possession of a weapon, the same as carrying in a gov't building? Revoke your permit?

Does anyone know or have a link to some info on it? When I see the sign I turn around and leave because 1) I'm not risking my permit that took 8 months to get and 2) I won't give my money to those places but I still wonder.
    Like many states there is no legal bearing of signage in NYS (so you would have to actually be asked to leave first) and you aren't breaking a law if you carry anywhere in the state except the following:
    NYC
    School or property of a school (including colleges and universities)
    Courthouses
    "some" local government buildings depending on county laws

nice simple list really and pretty easy to remember...stay out of gov. buildings, schools, and The City...other than that you can carry wherever you want and be within the law. Surprisingly some of the most restrictive CCW states such as NY and MA have a very small list of places off limits....it's just getting the permit that takes too long.

Those types of signs carry no weight. If the police are called, they may give you a hard time about it-- maybe they should since you weren't concealing properly to have been spotted. I don't bother to look for signs for that reason. The above list is pretty much it, though some parks are gray areas.
    If they ask you to leave and you don't, that's obviously a different story.

Off topic, it is funny how NY is so anti-gun, but many counties (such as Monroe) issue lifetime permits, and there are so few restrictions on carry. Not that I'm complaining!

Do any of you have a link to more detailed info about the legal bearing of signs posted on businesses?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    though some parks are gray areas.
    That annoys me to no end. Monroe county law forbids carry in any city, county or state park. Some parks don't have a sign that says they are a park like the little grassy area on main street with benches next to the river. The monroe county parks owns golf courses, what about them?

The park along Oatka Creek in Garbutt (south of Scottsville) has signs posted that say no hunting trapping or posession of firearms. And give the law number. It's monroe county law number 1980-7 or something like that. The signs look like the plastic "posted" signs and are the same orange plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Do any of you have a link to more detailed info about the legal bearing of signs posted on businesses?
    Nothing in NYS and city laws that I've read. I haven't looked at county really, but been meaning to, as that's the jurisdiction I fall under (Sheriff).

Links