Slight glitch in handgunlaw.us

This is a discussion on Slight glitch in handgunlaw.us within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a slight problem in using the "Create License Map" section of handgunlaw.us and thought I'd point it out in case it slipped by ...

Thread: Slight glitch in handgunlaw.us

There is a slight problem in using the "Create License Map" section of handgunlaw.us and thought I'd point it out in case it slipped by anyone when they were creating a map. I've sent an email to them and received a prompt reply and they are aware of it and are trying to come up with a fix, but I'm sure it's not an easy chore. They provide a great service to us, so I'm not going to pick on them for this one small thing, just wanted to make sure everyone was aware.

The hitch really is that when you are creating a license map, there is no way to indicate what is your home state. Using myself as an example, here's what can happen. I currently have a Kansas (resident) license and New Hampshire (non-resident) license. I'm also in the process of applying for a Florida non-resident license. If I go to the Create License Map page and check those three states, my map comes up. According to that map, I'm legal in West Virginia. BUT, West Virginia is one of the states who only recognize a license from the state you live in and they do NOT recognize a Kansas license SO, I'm actually NOT legal to carry in West Virginia. It's just something you may want to check carefully when your create a map from that site as the indicated states may not be ENTIRELY accurate.

I'd like to throw out a thanks to handgunlaw.us for all of their hard work. They do a great job of keeping the site up-to-date and it is a great asset to all of us.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Seems to me a quick fix would be to do what Packing.org does. When they list the states you are good in each state indicated says if they accept non-resident permits as I recall. I can't verify this as Packing has been down for days. Thanks for the heads-up on this glitch.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Seems to me a quick fix would be to do what Packing.org does. When they list the states you are good in each state indicated says if they accept non-resident permits as I recall.
    This is exactly what handgunlaw.us does if you click on the "Who Honors My Permit" link over on the left hand side. It takes you to a PDF that lists which permits each state honors. The states with the double asterisk next to them honor only resident permits.

On handgunlaw's text pages, they do indicate which states only accept resident licenses. If you haven't used their create license map function, it's a image result that is color coded for "Permit Honored" or "Permit Not Honored". There are other parts of their web site that indicate in graphical representation which states only honor resident permits, it's just there is no way to indicate your "home" state when creating a license map. The map created for me looks like this:

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Seems to me a quick fix would be to do what Packing.org does. When they list the states you are good in each state indicated says if they accept non-resident permits as I recall. I can't verify this as Packing has been down for days. Thanks for the heads-up on this glitch.
    packing.org doesn't do anything anymore. Anyone who would rely on their data is making a severe mistake. They've been down for two weeks and maybe have simply ceased to exist. Once a good site that's been run in to the ground with absentee management and the inmates running the asylum. handgunlaw.us is the only reliable single data site currently available.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    On handgunlaw's text pages, they do indicate which states only accept resident licenses. If you haven't used their create license map function, it's a image result that is color coded for "Permit Honored" or "Permit Not Honored". There are other parts of their web site that indicate in graphical representation which states only honor resident permits, it's just there is no way to indicate your "home" state when creating a license map. The map created for me looks like this:

Hoss
    How is it you don't know what your home state is? The system is not designed for someone to print out one map from the Create Map Application and pass it around. It's personalized to YOU.

Where I certainly appreciate your comments, I don't understand what the problem is.

The maps are clear - including the one you posted here - there are states which do not accept licenses where the holder is not a licensee in his or her home state. At the bottom of the map you posted you will find that information.

Are you trying to tell me that you are somehow unable to tell - knowing what state you are from - what information applies to you? I'm presuming you know what state you live in.

Sorry if this seems a bit terse but Gary and I work hard to provide this free service, which in no way generates any income, and when someone unfairly criticizes the site, it does not make me happy.

Steve Aikens
    Founder and Co-Owner
    www.handgunlaw.us

Wow Steve, maybe you should take a minute and actually read my posts in this thread. Or maybe you and Gary should communicate since he's the one that responded to my emails (most civilly, I should add). How about you just take the time to read the last line of my post that started this thread:

I'd like to throw out a thanks to handgunlaw.us for all of their hard work. They do a great job of keeping the site up-to-date and it is a great asset to all of us.
    Does that sound like criticism? The only reason I started this thread was because there is a glitch (yes it is a glitch) on the create a map page. Though I'm not sure your insult deserves an answer, yes I do know what state I'm from. But that doesn't change the fact that when I check the 3 licenses I have the map created says my permit will be honored in West Virginia, even though it isn't. Since handgunlaw.us has become the "go-to" site for information (and rightly so, as it is a very good source of information) I simply started this thread to try and prevent one of the 14,000+ members here from creating a map for themselves (and relying on that map) that may not be entirely accurate.

I've read back over my previous posts in this thread and if I had said something that might be considered insulting, I would be the first to offer an apology. I see nothing like that in my posts. However, I can't say the same for yours.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Wow Steve, maybe you should take a minute and actually read my posts in this thread. Or maybe you and Gary should communicate since he's the one that responded to my emails (most civilly, I should add). How about you just take the time to read the last line of my post that started this thread:

Does that sound like criticism? The only reason I started this thread was because there is a glitch (yes it is a glitch) on the create a map page. Though I'm not sure your insult deserves an answer, yes I do know what state I'm from. But that doesn't change the fact that when I check the 3 licenses I have the map created says my permit will be honored in West Virginia, even though it isn't. Since handgunlaw.us has become the "go-to" site for information (and rightly so, as it is a very good source of information) I simply started this thread to try and prevent one of the 14,000+ members here from creating a map for themselves (and relying on that map) that may not be entirely accurate.

I've read back over my previous posts in this thread and if I had said something that might be considered insulting, I would be the first to offer an apology. I see nothing like that in my posts. However, I can't say the same for yours.

Hoss
    I did read your post. I read it several times. I just read it again.

I do see you thank us for our work. And I do appreciate the thanks.

However, the criticism that the maps created don't tell you what state you are a resident of is not a valid criticism. Common sense tells you where you live.

The map created has the limitation on the bottom of it.
    Every map on the site states the limitation in the legend or in plain English.
    The information presented is accurate.

I don't apologize for telling you that you're picking unnecessary nits.

Maybe I'm a little oversensitive right now. I've been working on building maps [including those transparent maps in the Create Map Application] and adding links for the past 4 hours. Then I get notified of something like this. No, that doesn't make me happy.

If you consider straight answers to what you post insults - so be it. I consider a criticism like this an insult.

Steve,
    I'm not sure where you are coming from when you say:
    However, the criticism that the maps created don't tell you what state you are a resident of is not a valid criticism. Common sense tells you where you live.
    I never said anything about the map not telling me what state I'm from, only that there was no way for me to let the map (software) know what my home state was. Since there is no method for me to let the software know what my home state is, the map created from multiple state licenses cannot take into account that some of the states that the map now indicates I'm legal in actually would only recognize my home state license. And, as shown in my specific example, since West Virginia ONLY recognizes your home state license and they DON'T recognize Kansas, then the map as created in not completely accurate -- which it isn't. Despite the disclaimers, the map created for me is inaccurate and that's a fact.

I sent an email to the contact info on your web site when I first noticed this little problem. The content of that email was:

You may already be aware of this and there may be no way to fix it, but I thought I would point out a small problem with your "Create License Map" page.

When selecting the states that you hold licenses in, there is no way to designate your "home" state. As such, the map that is created is not entirely correct. As an example -- I live in Kansas and West Virginia does not recognize a Kansas license. If I select my 3 licenses (Kansas, New Hampshire & Florida), the map created indicates that my permit would be honored in West Virginia. BUT, since West Virginia only recognizes a license from your home state & does not recognize a Kansas license, I actually would not be legal in West Virginia.

Since in other areas on your web site you indicate which states only recognize a license from your "home" state, this isn't an insurmountable problem, but if the "create a map" section cannot be modified to take your home state into account, you may wish to at least post a disclaimer on that page to check for states that only recognize home state licenses.

Thanks for all of your hard work. Your site is greatly appreciated by many.

Randy E. Davis

Gary's response was:

We are working on just what you said. It is tougher than just saying it though. BUt we are trying. Stay safe, Gary Slider

Since it was obvious from Gary's courteous response that this wasn't going to be a quick fix, I created a thread here just to let folks know that there was a small problem with the map created (hence, the title to this thread "Slight glitch in handgunlaw.us") and that they should double check to make sure what their map indicated was entirely correct.

Check with a moderator if you wish, but nothing in my original posts has been edited since your post here. They say just what I originally wrote and there is nothing in them that I can interpret as being critical of handgunlaw.us.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsored Links