Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga

This is a discussion on Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga today. I spent some time on their web site and could find no information about concealed carry or ...

I visited the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga today. I spent some time on their web site and could find no information about concealed carry or firearms. I decided to call them and taking a cue from my telephone conversation with the Knoxville Zoo, I asked to speak to security straight away. The person I talked to was nice and informed me the Aquarium was not posted but it was their policy to ban firearms unless you are in some branch of law enforcement. I realized after I hung up I should have asked more questions including, “If that is your policy then why not obey the law and post the place?” But I was not very quick. After some thought, I decided the policy was really, “Don’t ask don’t tell.”

So that is what I did. Had a great time. Carried IWB the whole time with no troubles. One observation, there was no security presence at the park. Lots of nice employees pointing people in the right directions and answering their questions about fish and where the bathrooms are but not one security guard armed or not. I just do not understand what they could be thinking. In my mind considering the thousands of people there today, they did nothing to protect the safety of anyone.

Well mine were safe today and it was a safe trip. For your info, the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga is not posted. Atleast that is the official word from security and I could not find a sign anywhere. For that matter, I could not find any printed policy on firearms either. So go enjoy a trip to see the fishes.

OK I've got to ask. If you visited the web site and that did not tell you firearms are banned why press your luck? Do you really expect them to say hell yes we just love guns here, bring all you want? That's not going to happen. At worst you just showed them a loophole they forgot to close and signs are now being posted. If a place does not plainly tell me according to what is legally required to heck with them. I'm sure not going to be the one to let them know about their error.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    OK I've got to ask. If you visited the web site and that did not tell you firearms are banned why press your luck? Do you really expect them to say hell yes we just love guns here, bring all you want? That's not going to happen. At worst you just showed them a loophole they forgot to close and signs are now being posted. If a place does not plainly tell me according to what is legally required to heck with them. I'm sure not going to be the one to let them know about their error.
    Absolutely. No need to put any ideas in an ignorant person's head.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

+1

HKR
    We go to their at least once a year and the only security presence I've ever seen were a young lady (20ish) and a nice older gentleman who my grandfather made conversation with outside beside the little bridge looking thing. They had handheld radios, but I never heard any traffic on them. I know they have quite a few cameras, but I believe they are to keep people from messing with the fish. Lack of security is never a good thing, but you compare that with the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta where they wand you and don't even allow knives even though the only place "legally" off limits is the food court. Oh, and they don't like for you to bring pepper spray in either, but just ask them to show you where that is in their list of prohibited items (guns, gum, fishing pole) and they will leave you alone. They also didn't understand why I had a flashlight in my camera bag.

+1 again here. If the website doesn't say no guns allowed, I say carry and keep it concealed and just have a good time.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    +1

Especially when letting them know about their error will cause them to make sure to close the door on your carry rights.

I didn't need to talk to them to know I was bringing mine in last month.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

I would not have called if I had not found conflicting information on the web about the aquarium. There were a couple of "independent" sites listing places in Tennessee that are posted. I found the information out of date.

I just did not want to have to make a decision to carry at the door. The last thing I want to do is leave my gun in the car. That just makes me very uncomfortable. The safest place for it to be is in my possession. I know most of you feel the same because of what I have read on this forum.

Because the information online was so sketchy I decided to post here for anyone who might be looking for more up to date info.

Anyway, I am still amazed at how blind people want to be to the threats we face every day. To have that many people crammed into such a small space and not provide security is beyond me.

Granted I haven't been to TN much but I have found very few places even post, of those that do most don't post in a legal manner, and even fewer actually wand patrons. It is up to the establishment to be clear and legal. It is not up to us to point out their errors. I know on very rare occasions it is a pain to have to return to the car and lock the gun up. I have a lock box in my car and have yet to use it because of a legal posting. If I am unclear about a place I generally try to check them out in person before hand, or ask on a site like this in advance of my visit.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Links