ND's/AD's with revolvers

This is a discussion on ND's/AD's with revolvers within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other thread about negligent discharges made me realize that you rarely hear about an ND/AD with a revolver. Does not mean it hasn't happened ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ND's/AD's with revolvers

ND's/AD's with revolvers

The other thread about negligent discharges made me realize that you rarely hear about an ND/AD with a revolver. Does not mean it hasn't happened of course and I don't mean this as an auto vs. revolver issue. Part of it is probably related to the greater prevalence of autos in recent years.
    I'm curious as to ND's/AD's with revolvers that folks have seen/heard about/read about. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Well - I have to own up to one ND with a revo! 20 or more years ago.

I used to shoot comp's with my 686 and while on the line waiting for targets to turn ... I was premature on trigger in ready position and shot into ground! Egg on face and disqualified for that stage!

It was an ND but - as ND's go a pretty minor event - it still tho brought home the trigger discipline aspect of shooting.

Overall a revo is so much easier to clear anyways - swing out cyl - and it's empty or it ain't - no excuse for mistake. Of course if some maroon pics up a revo with no checks and starts pulling trigger, well - Russian roulette almost!

IMO there is much more potential for ND's in semi's - way too easy to drop mag and leave chambered round ... plus maybe too, poor safety use discipline. I am guessing but I'd suspect for every ten ND's with semi's - there just might be one with a revo .... probably not even that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post

I used to shoot comp's with my 686 and while on the line waiting for targets to turn ... I was premature on trigger in ready position and shot into ground! Egg on face and disqualified for that stage!
    Thats a light old trigger on those 686's in SA mode, isn't it?

I have been lined up on the target, starting to squeeze the trigger and had it go off before I thought it would. Not really an ND, as the intention was to fire, but it showed how easy it could be if the big four aren't followed.

Assistant Administrator
    Thats a light old trigger on those 686's in SA mode, isn't it?
    Yes it is!!

Same applies with my Smith N frames too. Back then I did keep revo cocked ready for SA first shot and then rest were DA - but after that episode I ceased SA entirely for dynamic comp use. The DA trigger was so sweet I kept to that mode from then on - only using SA for something like bullseye.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    I mostly agree with P95Carry, except to note that, I guess you'd call them cowboy style single action revolvers require a little more attention since the rounds come out one at a time through the loading gate. I found a rnd in one once that was unloaded and could have been a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I mostly agree with P95Carry, except to note that, I guess you'd call them cowboy style single action revolvers require a little more attention since the rounds come out one at a time through the loading gate. I found a rnd in one once that was unloaded and could have been a problem.
    Yeah. I found out the hard way about a decade ago why it's important to keep the cylinder in front of the firing pin empty on some of the older SA revos. Had the hammer snag and fall back forward walking down the hallway in my house. I didn't realize it had gone off until I heard the smoke detector....

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    IMO there is much more potential for ND's in semi's - way too easy to drop mag and leave chambered round ... plus maybe too, poor safety use discipline. I am guessing but I'd suspect for every ten ND's with semi's - there just might be one with a revo .... probably not even that.

Well, in my view, a person has either unloaded a gun or he has not. If he did something that goes part of the way toward unloading the gun, such as dropping the magazine but not opening the slide, but not all of the way, and thinks he's made the gun safe but it goes bang when he doesn't expect it to, then he is incompetent.

We can talk about whether that happened to him because he's incompetent and doesn't know his gun and how it works, or because he got lazy and forgot, or whatever. But I lump the lazy-to-the-point-of-forgetting-an-essential-part-of-unloading-a-gun to fall into the category of "incompetence."

It may be the sort of incompetence that actually gets rapidly cured after that unfortunate incident of an ND and then he might never do it again, but for that time, he was functioning incompetently.

I know of 2 ND's with revolvers in the last 15 years.... One was a LEO that shot himself in the calf while watching TV at home (.357) and the other was a jewelry store owner that shot off his index finger while holstering his .38......

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    the other was a jewelry store owner that shot off his index finger while holstering his .38......

Never let the muzzle cover any... wait, never cover the muzzle with anything you're not willing to shoot off.

I know of a few ND's with revolvers.
    One was a high ranking police officer that was "twirling" his six shooter in the elevator. He was instrumental in the local PD going to Glock and mandating no revolvers on or off duty.
    Another was a "county mounty" that put a 38 slug in his testicle. He claimed to be "cleaning it".
    Stupidity is as stupid does. You get some real winners in life and sometimes they are your co-workers and stupidvisors.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by mike28w View Post
    I know of 2 ND's with revolvers in the last 15 years.... One was a LEO that shot himself in the calf while watching TV at home (.357) and the other was a jewelry store owner that shot off his index finger while holstering his .38......
    Do you know if they had the hammers cocked in those 2 instances? I'd guess most ND's with wheelies would occur with folks forgetting to decock after shooting single action. A lot of people sing the praises of the DAO revolver for self defense purposes and this may just be another plus for that platform.

I have never believed a single claim that "cleaning" was the reason for an ND (unless maybe the guy was drunk or high, in which case the schmuck shouldn't even be touching his guns; and he wouldn't, if he wasn't suffering from the lapsed judgment of someone who's drunk or high, so that one's kinda circular).

I've always believed that the "cleaning" NDs are really people who were screwing around, playing with their "quick draw" in a mirror or whatnot, but who figured it was too much hassle to actually unload the gun to start playing.

Face it, anyone who knows how to even begin cleaning a gun knows how to EMPTY IT. Who can complete the process of taking down a handgun, but doesn't know how to clear it of ammunition?! That's why I think that all the "cleaning" claims are just transparent cover stories for what really was going on.

I'm also pretty skeptical of "S.I.D.S." I suspect that an awful lot of those "the baby just stopped breathing in his crib" stories are smotherings. But that's not quite the subject of this thread, so I'll leave that one there.

Quote Originally Posted by samtechlan View Post
    Do you know if they had the hammers cocked in those 2 instances? I'd guess most ND's with wheelies would occur with folks forgetting to decock after shooting single action. A lot of people sing the praises of the DAO revolver for self defense purposes and this may just be another plus for that platform.
    I'd guess that a fair number of NDs happen when someone's thumb slips while they're trying to decock a revolver. Another argument for the DAO revolver.

I wonder how many of the same occur with semi-autos that don't have decocking function.

It still boils down to having not learned the competent way of doing something, or having learned it but come to disregard it.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    I wonder how many of the same occur with semi-autos that don't have decocking function.
    I can't think of many DA/SA semi-autos that don't have decocking levers. SA autoloaders don't have a decocking function, but there's really no reason to lower the hammer on a chambered round with an SA autoloader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links