Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting - Page 2

Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting

This is a discussion on Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bet in situations like this, where one needs permission from the leaders to ccw, I bet permission would be gladly and quickly given. Of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I bet in situations like this, where one needs permission from the leaders to ccw, I bet permission would be gladly and quickly given. Of course, that goes back to "Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it."

How terrible, how sad.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    No, Z,

I think you are right on target. Where there used to SOME sense of propriety (i.e., not attacking elderly women with a hammer....
    Wow...two weeks ago at the hospital where I work we had a female with a GSW 'cuz she attacked her estranged husband's grandmother with a hammer... (Those details were published by the media...so no confidential info there...)

BTW, I got the low-down from the OR staff... I have a new respect for the .22LR!!!!!!!!!! Yup...she died.

Ya know...the only worry I have carrying in church is having a clear field of fire. (Yes...I have discussed the applicable law with our DA.) Well...that and how to draw while wearing a robe!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Church carry is illegal in Louisiana too. Incidents like this one make nervous about going to church, and I really don't like that. It's an amazing thing, but I'm much more mentally at ease when I go to church while visiting Texas, where I know that at the very least myself and my dad have steel on our hips, and I have suspicians that a couple of other parishioners do too. It sure beats having to go into my LA church with an empty holster.

I'll be praying for the families of the unarmed at this Missouri church.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I grew up in Neosho during my teens in the late 60's and early 70's. I went to school with the county coroner. A couple of schoolmates are also local law enforcement officers.

I plan to move back to the area when I retire and may buy property before then. I hope the laws in MO, become more "liberal" concerning concealed carry.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Just went to church this morning locally in upstate NY. I have always felt that it was a place of vulnerability. I was packing today and have always carried at church. This whole issue did cross my mind earlier. Reminds me of last Christmas evening mass when 3 strange guys entered the dark church late during service. They were acting very "suspicious". I had my hand right in my coat pocket on my gun ready for anything. Turned out they were just drunks off the street and nothing happened. It is a shame that something like this can happen. It is my personal responsibility to protect my family no matter where we go.

I carry in church and will continue to do so. I've heard of several wackos entering churches and opening fire, don't want to be caught of guard. I don't even notice it (my G23) now....I did at first.

Sad you have to but that's America now.

Since 9/11 I ALWAYS! carry in church.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    What the heck are these "semi-automatic machine pistols" I keep hearing about?
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

I can and always do carry in church. At first it was kinda weird when we stood up to sing, always checking my side to make sure it was not showing!!! But that is old news now. Jesus understands the pressures of life. In fact, he said always have a sword. He also said he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. So chose your straight and narrow path properly.
    God will forgive you if you save others lives in church by killing a BG.
    Good luck with the moral dilemma.
    Happiness is a warm 9mm

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I am going to have to revise my decision not to carry in church.
    Insane world we often live in.
    SIGH.
    For what reason did you ever have a personal policy of not carrying in church? Did you think it was "unholy," or that god would "frown upon" it?

At any rate, I hope that your new decision means "effective immediately," without any further doubt or ambivalence. Carrying is the right decision; especially if you were already carrying most everywhere else, but for ...some reason, you had held a reluctance to carry in church. Bad people can show up at a church just as easily as anyplace else. If no one is carrying at your church (imagine everyone else had the same compunctions you had), then your congregation will be about as safe and protected as the students at Virginia Tech were.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KahrGirl View Post
    Huh? What? What "moral dilemma?" "Forgive"??

Why would god need to "forgive" someone for defending life? I would think god would thank someone who saved lives. Since when do those who kill the wicked during the commission of evil acts even need "forgiveness"?

I just don't get religion. I really don't.

Here's the long and the short of it: If you don't want to be sheep to the slaughter, carry in church. If it's illegal where you are, and you decide to carry there anyway, I would personally respect that. Just don't get caught. If you end up needing the gun because someone's killing people in your church, won't you be happy to be illegally armed?

"Go ahead, officer, arrest me. I admit, I was carrying my gun illegally. But do me a favor: do it in front of the 150 people I just saved from that guy with the rifle, the 12 mags in the duffel bag, and the 10" hunting knife."

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KahrGirl View Post
    Jesus understands the pressures of life. In fact, he said always have a sword. He also said he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword. So chose your straight and narrow path properly.

I doubt that there would be any moral dilemma involved. I doubt that killing is more or less sinful because it was performed in church than the same killing under the same circumstances elsewhere.

I respect the law and normally would never advocate violating it. However, sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Mike...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293034,00.html

No place is safe.
    No place is safe.
    No place is safe.

I am going to have to revise my decision not to carry in church.
    Insane world we often live in.
    SIGH.
    Greetings...

I thought you already did?

I always have my Kimber Ultra IWB, every Sunday...too many bold BG's floating around...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    For what reason did you ever have a personal policy of not carrying in church? Did you think it was "unholy," or that god would "frown upon" it?
    Jeff,

Far less theological reason than that. I am the Senior Pastor, but am part of a denomination where the 'rules' are set at a national level. Those who get elected to the governing body tend to be very liberal about social issues. While there is no stated policy about carrying (that I am aware of), I strongly suspect that there is a huge emotional bias that would bite me in the keister. In other words, unfit to pastor a church in some people's eyes.

So, since I am up front so much (from playing guitar some Sundays to preachin' and prayin' and huggin'), I have been concerned about the wrong people noticing. (I have already been spotted once in a Bible Study-but by someone who is cool about it.)

Anyway, that's all I have to say 'bout that.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Huh? What? What "moral dilemma?" "Forgive"??

Why would god need to "forgive" someone for defending life? I would think god would thank someone who saved lives. Since when do those who kill the wicked during the commission of evil acts even need "forgiveness"?

I just don't get religion. I really don't.
    Actually, Jeff, I agree with you 100%. I think God doesn't have a problem with us defending ourselves or others. Religion may. But, then, IMO, religion is usually about rules, rituals and regulations.

I prefer to think about my faith as a relationship with a God who asks us to 'do our part,' while He does His.

YMMV.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links