Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting - Page 3

Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting

This is a discussion on Carry in Church-again? - Missouri Church Shooting within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by retsupt99 Greetings... I thought you already did? ret Hi, Ken. No, pretty much everywhere else. Just hadn't taken that step yet on ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Greetings...

I thought you already did?

ret
    Hi, Ken.

No, pretty much everywhere else. Just hadn't taken that step yet on Sunday mornings.

Did my first wedding while packing on Friday.

What? No honorarium?? Take that... BANG! BANG! LOL.

Actually, carrying while dealing with bridezillas, mothers of the bride and wedding coordinators...sounds good to me.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Carry in any church is illegal in Missouri.

Once again, proof that criminals don't obey laws.
    Can anyone in this crazy world tell me why someone would make such a dumbskull law? Can't carry in church? Because God would look down on it? God is going to protect everyone in there, no need for a gun? Unbelievable.

Not to hijack the thread, so I'll keep this short and if everone wants to know full details, I'll start a new post.

My wife teaches Aerobics at our church, she is certitied for that and has a carry permit. Her class was robbed durning the class. church is no safer than anwhere else.

If i have my pants on, I'm armed..... :)
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    For what reason did you ever have a personal policy of not carrying in church? Did you think it was "unholy," or that god would "frown upon" it?

At any rate, I hope that your new decision means "effective immediately," without any further doubt or ambivalence. Carrying is the right decision; especially if you were already carrying most everywhere else, but for ...some reason, you had held a reluctance to carry in church. Bad people can show up at a church just as easily as anyplace else. If no one is carrying at your church (imagine everyone else had the same compunctions you had), then your congregation will be about as safe and protected as the students at Virginia Tech were.

Absolutely... is this church building insured? Is their a security system installed? Almost certainly yes to both questions. Bad people and things can happen anywhere, even a church.

A church that insures the building and protects it via a security system but then doesn't allow CCW cares more about the building and its equipment than it's own parishioners.

Smart Carry is what I use in church...it's not the best way to carry necessarily, but it works well for me. Just unzip the choir robe and with slacks and a belt that's not too tight, the 9mm is pretty accessible. The spare magazine is in the hip pocket (weak side) with a handkerchief to prevent printing. Don't have to worry about the hugs, etc. as the the hugging nowadays is pretty much politically correct...if it's not a politically correct hug, my bride says it should be her, my daughter, or my mom. I can live with that...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    What the heck are these "semi-automatic machine pistols" I keep hearing about?
    Yeah I was wondering about that myself...typical media misinformation
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I Pastor a small country church in Missouri. I carry a Khar 9mm, with extra extended mag and two knives. The folks who passed the law in missouri about not carrying in church don't care what God thinks. Most people don't. I carry every Sunday. I have to be hyper careful about printing so small thin guns are critical for me. I'm careful about hugs already as I have no business hugging another man's wife or a single lady so it's children, old ladies and men that I really have to be careful with. And you have to be careful about hugging children now-a-days especially! I actually worry more about my own children (6) who hug me a lot. I hug low to force others to hug high. I believe when someone "feels" the bump, they assume it's a cell phone or my wireless mic.

I won't go into it but it's absolutely biblical to defend ones life or the life of another. I think most of of the folks in our church would support my decision to carry but it might cause some to be uncomfortable so the bottom line is that I NEVER discuss it, reveal it, etc. Not one word ever to anyone period. I hope/pray I'll never have to use it but it is a wicked world and you just never know. I've tried to help a lot of down and out folks who are extremely poor or caught up in alcohol or even meth; some of those folks love you for your efforts and would die for you; other's would just as soon rob you blind or find any other advantage over you. Another risky situation is when I try to help a woman who's in an abusive marriage. Those are some of the hardest situations and I believe some of the riskiest.

I'd encourage any church member in missouri to approach their pastor with a request to carry. How well he knows you and your character will be the determining factor. If you're in a church where the Pastor doesn't have the authority, then you should consider why some churchs set up political hierchys over local churches when theres no example or prescription for such in the bible and I say that with all due respect and love for all other Pastors on this forum.

In the 8 years I've pastored here in Missouri, I was only asked one time and then it wasn't a serious request and it wasn't even from a Member.

God Bless
    Gideon

Gonna be a pastor a year from now (finishing seminary this year). I carry in church always. I've tried to leave my gun at home some Sunday mornings...sometimes I just don't want to deal with it. It's a barrier and something I have to be constantly worried about people noticing. But those times I tried to leave it home conviction came swift & harsh. It's part of my call. Sometimes I wish it wasn't, but it is. Part of my cross...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Actually, carrying while dealing with bridezillas, mothers of the bride and wedding coordinators...sounds good to me.

LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon
    I won't go into it but it's absolutely biblical to defend ones life or the life of another. I think most of of the folks in our church would support my decision to carry but it might cause some to be uncomfortable so the bottom line is that I NEVER discuss it, reveal it, etc. Not one word ever to anyone period. I hope/pray I'll never have to use it but it is a wicked world and you just never know.

Gideon, +1

Spot-on, man.

The System Failed

Instead of saying 'Guns Prohibited' in 3 inch black letters, they need to pass a law where they are in 3.2 inch maroon colored italic Arial Black font.

Now ... THAT law will REALLY save lives!

IF you look at the missouri law, the act of carrying in a church can't be punished as a criminal act; therefore all they can do is ask you to leave or not allow you to enter. Not that Im a law breaker but when I visit my parents in Missouri, I carry to there church. As a matter of fact, the pastor carries as well. Thats still a SHAME about what happened in Neosho.

Not allowed to carry in church?? Doesn't it say that God helps those who help themselves?
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Not allowed to carry in church?? Doesn't it say that God helps those who help themselves?
    Actually, it doesn't, but as you can see from several other responses, it doesn't need to. People have a God-given right to protect themselves, and even a responsibility to protect others.

I organized a CCW class for about 10 people at the church where I preach. Several others couldn't make it and are putting together another class. If a BG were to pull a gun at our church, it would look like that scene from the old Chuck Norris movie where two guys try to rob a bar frequented by off-duty cops! Given the percentage of CCW's I know are present each week, I feel safer in church than about anywhere else!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I live in Neosho. Have since 1976. My father and I owned a business here for 20 years. My wife works at the local hospital which is 4 or 5 blocks from the Church were this terrible act occurred. Both of our Daughters own business's in town. So our roots are deep here. I hope this will be the needed wake up call to our law makers to revise our carry laws to allow us to protect our selfs no matter were we are. Please keep all those affected in your prayers.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links