Amtrak Concealed Carry Question

This is a discussion on Amtrak Concealed Carry Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of some more info on concealed carry as a passenger on Amtrak trains in the US? ...

Thread: Amtrak Concealed Carry Question

Amtrak Concealed Carry Question

Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of some more info on concealed carry as a passenger on Amtrak trains in the US? Is this a big no-no? Can I carry-on and rearm at my destination? My question is about CCW holders.

(Amtrak site has some disturbing verbage..."The following kinds of items are prohibited as both checked and carry-on baggage:

Any type of gun, firearm, ammunition, explosives, or weapon")
    Thanks in advance.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guvn3r View Post
    Hey guys, can anyone point me in the direction of some more info on concealed carry as a passenger on Amtrak trains in the US? Is this a big no-no? Can I carry-on and rearm at my destination? My question is about CCW holders.
    Thanks in advance.
    I travel Amtrak at least twice a year to Florida, and posed that question to the reservations assistant. They make no exceptions for CCW holders. While aboard, I also asked the Conductor and the Sleeping car Attendant. Same answer. Having said that, they don't have "security checks" like the airlines, but if you were discovered with a gun, they could rightfully put you off the train at the next stop.

Their policy is pretty straightforward, and pretty much the main reason why I refuse to take an Amtrak anywhere.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

The short answer is NO.

For non-LEO's there ain't no way around it and the only LEO exception is for On-Duty Federal/Amtrak Police, as far as I'm aware.

Biker

Distinguished Member

Guvn3r Amtrak carry

Looks like from the posts that they will not allow firearms, but maybe they have one of them "double your money back" policies that if you get killed, you are eligible for, only problem is you have to apply for it in person!!!

To bad that they claim to want us to take "public transportation" for all of there right reasons, but they are not very accommodating. Kind of a sad situation. I aways thought "someday" when I have the time it would be fun to take a train though the USA. Good Luck

SleepingZ

Thanks all.
    "...for all who draw the sword will die by the sword." Matthew 26:52

There are absolutely NO security checks on trains..at least the last time I got on one their weren't...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Looks like from the posts that they will not allow firearms, but maybe they have one of them "double your money back" policies that if you get killed, you are eligible for, only problem is you have to apply for it in person!!!

To bad that they claim to want us to take "public transportation" for all of there right reasons, but they are not very accommodating. Kind of a sad situation. I aways thought "someday" when I have the time it would be fun to take a train though the USA. Good Luck

SleepingZ
    About 6 years ago , I took a train from Kentucky to New York. Never want to do it again. I dreaded the ride back. Stop , start, delays, hit and killed an old woman, tree's on the track, 24 hours late getting to New York.
    This was before I carried or even thought about carrying. I've also gone from here to Chicago on Amtrak, a 5 hour ride and I liked it. But now that I carry, I wouldn't ride train for nutn.

Last time I rode Amtrack, about a year ago, I had to go through a metal detector before getting on the train and there were signs all around about no weapons.

As I understand it, TSA is going to be taking over the security for passenger trains and it will--at some point in the future--be pretty much identical to getting on an airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    About 6 years ago , I took a train from Kentucky to New York. Never want to do it again. I dreaded the ride back. Stop , start, delays, hit and killed an old woman, tree's on the track, 24 hours late getting to New York.
    This was before I carried or even thought about carrying. I've also gone from here to Chicago on Amtrak, a 5 hour ride and I liked it. But now that I carry, I wouldn't ride train for nutn.

Kentucky to NY... South West out of Louisville to Long Island Islip.
    Kentucky to Chicago... South West out of Louisville to Midway.

Seriously, ther eis no reason to take Amtrack as SW is normally less expensive, faster and better. They also let you check your gun!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    Kentucky to NY... South West out of Louisville to Long Island Islip.
    Kentucky to Chicago... South West out of Louisville to Midway.

Seriously, ther eis no reason to take Amtrack as SW is normally less expensive, faster and better. They also let you check your gun!
    My daughter and i wanted to do it because it sounded like it would be a fun way to travel. Like riding across country on a scooter sounds fun to some. It aint what it's cut out to be. I WILL fly or drive from now on.

Guess I'll just keep on driving where I want to go, since Amtrak, like other public tranportation, doesn't seem to want my business.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Gotta really watch the security on Amtrack.
    The passengers might hijack the train and drive it into a building.

More from the brilliant minds department.

BTW, I love the high speed train on the East coast. It beats flying for both comfort and convenience.

Links