Primary and BUG - or Primary and - another primary??

This is a discussion on Primary and BUG - or Primary and - another primary?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those of us who at times (or even always) reckon to have a BUG - do you make said BUG just a small pocket ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primary and BUG - or Primary and - another primary??

Assistant Administrator

For those of us who at times (or even always) reckon to have a BUG - do you make said BUG just a small pocket piece or - do you/can you carry another full size - so in effect you have two primary options.

I have not as yet managed this with any ease.

My left side belt is used by Leatherman Wave and E1e light - so right side is all I have for primary. A BUG might be R9 in pocket - and/or NAA mini - ''somewhwere'' in ''a pocket''! Can't really imagine 2 rigs on right side belt with any ease.

Only way I could manage a second primary would be to use a sho rig - did this once or twice as an experiment but for all practical purposes, it seems both unnecessary and awkward.

Anyone use two full size - if so how? If you instead just at times have BUG - what do you favor?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I'll tell ya P, I'm starting to rethink my carry options: I'm very seriously considering the purchase of another Kahr (k or e9) and wearing one strong side and one xdraw off side, instead of one gun and spare mag(s). The e9 I got a few weeks back has really become a favorite pistol. Small, but with enough wieght (steel frame, not poly) to make fast follow up shots, it doesnt take up a lot of room and is really quite thin. The fact it has no external 'safety' makes the gun quite ambi dextrious. The secondary gun worn xdraw off side would be available for draw with the strong hand, but could be accessed easily with the off side hand, if needed.

Up till now, its always been a 1911, with a S&W 342ti either ankle or pocket.

Just my thoughts,

Dan

I havnt pu much thought into it i just uauslly carry one gun was thinking on it though .. probley would carry a direct copy of what my primary gun is

Assistant Administrator
    probably would carry a direct copy of what my primary gun is
    Ahh but Bud - where do you put it? (polite answers only!!). This is the thing - location - where is there space??

I mentioned - my left side is Wave and E1e - I refuse to be without those so - per Dan's mention of xdraw for the secondary (primary #2) ..... I have a problem.

I very much like the xdraw option - I have done that years ago - don't mind it but as I say - ain't got no space! Plus - these days I have gotten bigger (it's the vitamins ya know!) - and prefer full size and heavy so that x 2 makes prob even harder.

I suppose one in the butt crack - but sitting will be hell!
    Chris - P95

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    In the event I carry a BUG, it is usually a small pocket pistol. I can see the plus side of carrying primary and BUG with the same manual of arms.

Once just for my own giggles I put two K frame 4"ers on a belt, but I wouldn't really go out and about like that.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Assistant Administrator
    two K frame 4"ers on a belt
    Lee - same side or opposites??
    Chris - P95

I almost always carry two guns...primary being the Kimber Ultra Elite, and BUG is an NAA .32ACP Guardian. BUG has had mucho customization from the NAA custom shop such as front/rear dovetailed Trijicons, front strap stippling, and complete melt package. I know...overkill for such a little pocket gun, but the previous owner apparently had money to burn. I picked it up several years ago at a gun show for a great price and it's been a good pistol...plus the adders make it a better than average shooter for it's diminutive size, even at some distance.

Both are loaded with Federal Hydrashok JHP. I carry the BUG in a Desantis Nemesis usually in strong-side rear pocket, but fits nicely into front as well. There is zero printing and looks like a wallet. This is a setup that you can carry in jeans, shorts, dress slacks, or at the beach...so I never have an excuse for not having a gun.

I've been thinking of either getting the .380ACP version which is only slightly bigger and would carry in the same Nemesis. What I would really like is a Rohrbaugh R9, but the price is too heafty right now.

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

sm
    Chris,
    You and I have shared this via phone, for the forum I will mention a few things...

In another life, and the concerns of kidnapping, armed robbery at business, travels, at home...etc.

I often carried two Primary guns. I believe in redundancy, in keeping it simple, "shoot one gun and know it", and Murphy always manages to show up at the wrong time - among other things.

I have stayed with the same basic platforms since I was a pup - the 1911, and the K frame.
    I also found the BHPs, J frames, very similar to and easy for me to CCW and shoot well.

Not that I have not, or do not shoot others, just I believe in having 4 replicas of CCWs. One off site, Primary, Back up to Primary, and One in the event I need to have one serviced, or the po-po decided they need to keep one until matters clear up.

Personally - I never cared for a 1911 smaller than the Commander Size. Reliability the main reason, and all mags for Commander and Full size are the same - the Officer's are not.

Two full size Gov't Models , IWB strong and weak side. OR One full size and one Commander OR Two Commander sized.

Two BHPs

Did the same thing with K frames, Model 19 snubbies and or Model 10. Or similar like 66, 64, 13...I still contend the 3" RB K frame is the most overlooked combat revolver.

Yes there may have been a J Frame used as both a Primary and BUG. Or J frame used as Bug with a 1911, BHP, or K frame.

Might have been a J frame in a Galco Belly band as the 3rd gun. NAA .22 mini revo in a holster designed for last ditch. If the balloon has gone up, and the BG would allow to me take a nature call...unzip and ...you get the idea.

I only shoot SA or DAO semis. The revos all work the same. I will NOT carry a DA/ SA, or a Decocker model. I'm hard- headed, and have trained too long on the MOA raised with. Under a serious situation - I want to use what I have been always using. Hence the reason I don't buy, other platforms. I can shoot them, I like them...not for MY CCW tho'.

Now I am not in that "other life" anymore, tho some folks still think I am - or suspect I may still have some input.

Now-a-days, most often I don't carry a BUG. State Stats says I cannot carry on College Campus. Being an older returning student - I don't park on campus.

Some other areas I have to frequent also do not allow me to CCW, more statues.

So one gun I use - a "niche" gun if you will is a Keltec P-11. Yes I have ways / places to secure it...and / or folks I can "leave" it with. Have been known to carry two of these, just a plastic DA revolver.

Just like a buddy I know that considers his pair of Glock 26s to be.

Just my thoughts from being in what I spent some years in, and some interesting life experiences.

Steve
    Use Enough Gun

I've been able on occasion to carry two full-sized guns - I carried a 1911 and my Sig 226 for a couple years, 1911 in left hand holster in a cross-draw pattern on the right side with the Sig riding behind it. It was a bit bulky but manageable, but I realized that I wasn't going to carry any guns with safeties period in the future.

I switched to a S&W 296 in left front pocket, Sig on right side. The Smith is big enough that it doesn't reposition itself in the pocket.

When I've needed more firepower, I have a shoulder holster for a second 226. It doesn't bother me.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

Lead Moderator
    usually my BUG will go onmy ankle. Either a NAA mini or my PT 140. depends on where I am headed. Sometimes the NAA goes in my front pocket and 3 guns go with me.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Lee - same side or opposites??

I had them on opposite sides. The support side was on the belt crossdraw, but I don't really like crossdraw. I was just in a goofy mood that day and was playing around with different stuff.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

P95Carry,

I always carry a BUG with my primary unless my BUG fills that role as in my office carry. My BUG is my Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro. I can hide it in most pant pockets and in my ankle holster when it wont fit in the pant pocket.
    Since all my primary CCW's are .45acp I want my BUG to be the same.

I previously carried my Kel-Tec P11 as a BUG but changed when the new Millennium Pro came out and found out that has the previous problems had been corrected.

I prefer having my BUG and Primary CCW the same caliber so that in the off chance the Primary goes down, I can use it's ammunition for the BUG, if need be or vice-versa. This was not possible with the P11...that is unless I chose to change my Primary CCW to 9mm......just dont see that happening!!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Thx for all the input fellas.
    Chris - P95

Always at least three guns, nothing less than 9MM/38SP.

Today, all lightweight...neck has been giving me fits. Commander strong side right, 296 cross draw on left, and 642 in left pocket holster. One reload or more for each.

Often carry a 1911, a commander, and revolver like 296 or 642.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Re: Primary and BUG - or Primary and - another primary??

I have in the past carried to full size weapons, and on occasion still do. However the times when this happens are far and few between. When I do carry this way, it is usually 1 on the hip and one in a shoulder rig.

These days, I maintain a full size primary and a small frame secondary (Walther PPK) in an ankle rig.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links