Simple question.

Simple question.

This is a discussion on Simple question. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is it pointless to carry without a round chambered? I'm not sure I feel confortable yet with a round in the chamber....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Simple question.

Simple question.

Is it pointless to carry without a round chambered? I'm not sure I feel confortable yet with a round in the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Care must be taken with a firearm at all times, regardless of whether or not there is a round chambered. Remember Rule #1: "Treat all guns as if they are loaded." Most gun accidents happen with allegedly empty firearms.

In fact, I think this is one of the real dangers with carrying in condition 3. Carrying with an empty chamber practically invites a person to think of an empty gun as being "safe" and guns with one in the pipe as being "unsafe". The problem with dividing guns into "safe" and "unsafe" categories is that it's all too easy to start ignoring Rule #1. It's like there's this insidious little voice that says, "Come on, you know it isn't loaded. Why go through all that trouble of keeping it pointed in a safe direction and keeping your ifnger off the trigger?" If you listen to this voice, then sooner or later you're going to get a "unsafe" gun mixed up with a "safe" one, with potentially tragic consequences.

Carry with a round in the chamber and treat your gun with the respect a potentially lethal instrument deserves.
    You are correct BlackEagle, I may have incorrectly stated my point. While a gun should always be considered loaded, I was only trying to enforce becoming familiar wih the gun in question. Comfort and familiarity with your carry weapon should be the prime consideration.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyCooper View Post
    I actually find this quite amazing, but I was talking with my dad the other day, and he was saying that when he was a prison guard MANY years ago, they all would carry revolvers with hammer down on an empty chamber. He said that way it couldn't drop on the ground and go off. Has anyone else heard of that?
    By the way, my Kahr ALWAYS has one in the chamber.
    Yep, very common method of carry for revolvers without transfer bar safeties. You may have heard the old saying, "five beans in the wheel."
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I'm not sure I feel confortable yet with a round in the chamber.
    Chances are you never will , unless and untill you start carrying properly . Once you become used to it its a non issue .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    This is a favorite ''dilemma'' question - one we have threads on from the past.

Depends what gun too. If a DA/SA then no reason at all to be other than one in the pipe. If you refer to 1911 platform and you are insufficiently familiar and confident then that is different.

There is tho everything to recommend condition one (cocked and locked with 1911) only - simply because of time in a crisis. Your life may depend on a fast draw and fire, without that need for racking.

Your experience and gun platform will affect your decision but I would urge you to familiarize to the max with your chosen platform and only carry condition one .... because as others might somewhat facetiously point out - until that puppy is fully loaded and ready to go - it's just about as useful as a rock!

So - ''pointless''? No - quite the contrary!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Get confortable with it first, then carry chambered

I carry an XD40SC so its a little different than a 1911. I'm new to concealed carry but here is my point of view having watched this YouTube video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sECV2MVYEWI

Notice that racking the slide here may have caused the male clerk to loose the element of surprise. Bad guys hate surprises.

I walked around the house with my XD for a week or more until I was comfortable with it and convinced myself that its not going to go off. Everyone is different. I find myself worrying more now about the situation and instead of 'can I ready my weapon quick enough to use it'.

I had a panhandler sneak up from behind me at a Wal-Mart before I got my carry permit. I realized in retrospect that if someone had come up from behind and I wasn't aware of them. I'd much rather have as much of the situation under my control as possible and to be ready.

I'm not trying to tell you to really do it this way or that way. I guess my point is that you should be comfortable with it first and try it out if you can convince yourself that its not going to go off.

VIP Member
    I would never carry without one in the chamber. But as far as answers go toward your question you can not get a better answer than what P95Carry just gave you.

Carry it without a round in the chamber until you are satisfied that the safety won't come off by itself, and that the trigger won't pull itself.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Pointless No, but it will take time to make the weapon usefull. The question is, Will you have that time?
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    Is it pointless to carry without a round chambered? I'm not sure I feel confortable yet with a round in the chamber.
    No, it is not pointless and don't carry chambered until you are comfortable that it will not "just go off". This will involve judicious trigger finger discipline and a quality holster set-up that FULLY covers the trigger. I suspect it won't take you too long until you're comfortable with chambered carry. I do it all the time with a Glock, Kel-Tec and a Kahr. All of those pistols do NOT have any kind of on/off external safety. You pull the trigger and they will fire...

After all, the first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun and you'd have that covered. You'll just be a little slower into action and you'll need two hands to rack the slide. Or, wear a sturdy belt and learn the "rear sight" hook maneuver to chamber a round. It's good to know that one because you never know when one of your arms/hands could be come disabled/injured in a confrontation.

Comfort with your weapon comes first. Get used to handling it, holster and unholster it. Remember that with a chambered round care must be taken at all times. There's nothing wrong with getting used to your gun before doing so.

You limit you options by not having a round chambered but it is not pointless.

The last thing you want to do is to carry the gun with a round chambered if you are not comfortable with it.

Go ahead and carry your way. Most likely you will quickly get comfortable with it.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash Dragoon View Post
    There are a few very good reasons for carrying with a round chambered, and I can't think of any benefit to carrying without one. If you want the absolute safety of not having a round go off inadvertently, don't carry a gun at all.

But violent altercations are known to go down so very quickly, it's almost a certainty that you would either not have time to chamber a round, or you'd end up pointing the gun and pulling the trigger on a chamber you forgot to load, in your combat-stress.

You also could end up not having a free hand with which to chamber a round.

You also could end up having a misfeed and the gun being useless for a number of seconds that could be your last.

If you are not yet comfortable carrying a gun with a round chambered, you are not yet ready to be carrying a gun. You should not have trepidation about being able to carry the gun safely if you are going to be carrying it at all. You should either know that you can do it, or you should not carry.

Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Remember that with a chambered round care must be taken at all times.
    Care must be taken with a firearm at all times, regardless of whether or not there is a round chambered. Remember Rule #1: "Treat all guns as if they are loaded." Most gun accidents happen with allegedly empty firearms.

In fact, I think this is one of the real dangers with carrying in condition 3. Carrying with an empty chamber practically invites a person to think of an empty gun as being "safe" and guns with one in the pipe as being "unsafe". The problem with dividing guns into "safe" and "unsafe" categories is that it's all too easy to start ignoring Rule #1. It's like there's this insidious little voice that says, "Come on, you know it isn't loaded. Why go through all that trouble of keeping it pointed in a safe direction and keeping your ifnger off the trigger?" If you listen to this voice, then sooner or later you're going to get a "unsafe" gun mixed up with a "safe" one, with potentially tragic consequences.

Carry with a round in the chamber and treat your gun with the respect a potentially lethal instrument deserves.

1911 carry

Some reassurance from a 1911 carrier:

There is no more safe gun to carry than a cocked and locked 1911. Compare carrying it cocked and locked to the Glocks most folks around here carry cocked and unlocked. Yes the Glock is only partially cocked, but it still has a light trigger.

The 1911, with its external safeties will never have an issue with a retention strap pulling the trigger and firing the gun when reholstering. Also, in a snug holster, you don't have to push it in by the slide to keep it from moving.

The 1911 won't fire until both the thumb safety and grip safety are deactivated. If damaged (think tumbling down concrete stairs) and the seer is broken by impact, the half cock notch will prevent a discharge. If that is broken too, most current 1911 designs will also block the firing pin by a safety disengaged by either the grip safety or trigger.

The 1911 is a masterpiece of form, function, safety and accuracy.

Empty your gun. Verify it is empty, then do it again. Then with it pointed in a safe direction, pull the trigger with the thumb safety on. Nothing happens. Then disengage the thumb safety and without depressing the grip safety do it again. Again, nothing happens.

Practice releasing the thumb safety after your gun clears leather and is pointed away from your body, coming up for aim. Once your sites are on target and you're going to shoot, then you put your finger on the trigger.

By the way, NEVER carry a 1911 condition 2 (hammer down on a chambered round). While the gun is perfectly safe in this condition, getting it there requires pulling the trigger on a chambered round with only your thumb on the hammer to keep the hammer from firing the gun.

You might also go to http://forums.1911forum.com/

Carry on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links