Fry's Electronics anti-gun

This is a discussion on Fry's Electronics anti-gun within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why apoligize for offending them? It is quite obvious that they have no concern for offending you or anyone else. How did this happen? This ...

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Why apoligize for offending them? It is quite obvious that they have no concern for offending you or anyone else.

How did this happen? This was a response to sea demon2003 written after 6:00 PM.

I thought I would post a little email that I sent off today. I spend quite a bit of money at this store but now that I carry I think i'll shop elsewhere...damn and I really like that store.

To whom it may concern:
    I frequent your store here in Houston, Texas quite often. You have tremendous prices and extremely good products and service. This email is to inquire why you have a sign on the front of your store stating that there are no firearms allowed in your store. As you may not know, it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Texas if you have the proper license, which I have. The sign is not a legal sign as per Texas law and I can choose to ignore the sign on your store because of this. I would rather inquire to why you would only limit the carrying of firearms in your store to criminals? I respect your decision to post such sign and I hope that you will respect my decision to not purchase items from your store as well as your website. I had really planned on purchasing a 46" LCD and a 32" LCD tv's from your store but I now plan to purchase these items elsewhere. I generally purchase all of my DVD's from your store and now that will stop. All in all, I spend approximately $100 a week in your store plus the future purchase, which was going to be today, of $3000. That is quite a bit of money for you to throw away just because of a sign on your front door that really doesn't apply to me legally. If this email offends you in any way, I would like to apologize but I thought that you would like to know the cause and effect of the placement of this sign on the front of your stores.
    Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXXXX

WHY apologize if they dont want your money someone else does!!

not sure if you sent it off yet or not, but you might not want to bring the non 30.06 compliant sign to their attention...

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    not sure if you sent it off yet or not, but you might not want to bring the non 30.06 compliant sign to their attention...
    Agreed.

Yes, please don't give them a free education!

I also am/was a frequent Fry's shopper, and have been for many years while I lived in California, which is where Fry's started. Their first store was/is near Stanford University, in Palo Alto.

That may say something about why they have the "No firearms or weapons allowed" sign in stick on letters on the door panels. I noticed it when I got my CHL and dropped by recently, but I simply ignore them, figure they can ask me to leave if they discover I'm carrying. Unlikely, considering the degree and quality of attention usually displayed by the bulk of the sales staff.

Fry's prices generaly are higher than a lot of places and certainly higher than shopping on-line, but they do have a very large selection and if one needs something "right now", they genereally can fill the bill.

So, I go there from time to time, and would hate to see them wise up and post enforcable 30.06 signs.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by raysheen View Post
    Is it Texas law that the sign has to be labeled a certain way or have a certain wording on it? Just curious as to why he would not want to bring that to their attention...

Break... If Fry's is going to be anti-legal-gunowner, then I will also send my money elsewhere when purchasing computer materials.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sea_demon2003 View Post
    To whom it may concern:
    I frequent your store here in Houston, Texas quite often. You have tremendous prices (makes it sound like the prices are large) and extremely good products and service. This email is to inquire why you have a sign on the front of your store stating that there are no firearms allowed in your store. As you may not know, it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in the state of Texas if you have the proper license, which I have. The sign is not a legal sign as per Texas law and I can choose to ignore the sign on your store because of this. I would rather inquire to why you would only limit the carrying of firearms in your store to criminals? (this needs to be explained) I respect your decision to post such sign (No, you don't respect the decision; you take issue with the decision. Perhaps you respect their right to make the decision. Not the same thing, though.) and I hope that you will respect my decision to not purchase items from your store [as well as] ("or") your website. I had really planned on purchasing a 46" LCD and a 32" LCD tv's from your store but I now plan to purchase these items elsewhere. I generally purchase all of my DVD's from your store and now that will stop. All in all, I spend approximately $100 a week in your store plus the future purchase, which was going to be today, of $3000. That is quite a bit of money for you to throw away just because of a sign on your front door that really doesn't apply to me legally. (You should explain that it is a sign that will do absolutely NOTHING to prevent any criminal activity involving someone bringing a gun into the store.) If this email offends you in any way, I would like to apologize but I thought that you would like to know the cause and effect of the placement of this sign on the front of your stores.
    Sincerely,
    XXXX XXXXXX
    I would recommend those modifications. Otherwise, I think it's admirable that you took the time to notify them of your feelings about their policy. They need to hear more from the GOOD PEOPLE who carry.

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    Is it Texas law that the sign has to be labeled a certain way or have a certain wording on it? Just curious as to why he would not want to bring that to their attention...
    Cuz if they correct it, then he cannot legally carry in their store if he still chooses to shop there.
    Last edited by Dihappy; August 13th, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

Break... If Fry's is going to be anti-legal-gunowner, then I will also send my money elsewhere when purchasing computer materials.
    Yes, wording and size of letters on signs making a place legally a "no carry" place is prescribed by the Texas CHL laws. It's called a "30.06 sign", referencing the applicable paragraph of the code.

The other sign we Texans watch for is called the "51% sign", also required and specified for establishments that derive at least 51% of their income from the sale of alcohol - differentiates restaurants from bars. Illegal to carry in bars.

Certain other places are "off-limits" by definition in the law, such as school buildings, without having to post a sign. Others, like churches and hospitals are mentioned in the law and illegal to carry in, IF there is a proper 30.06 sign posted. However, if a conforming 30.06 or 51% sign is posted at any location/store/building, they become a "no carry" place and failure to comply could result in one's CHL getting pulled.

Some businesses, like Fry's, post their own kind of signs, which simply reflects store policy. Carrying in these places is not illegal, but if asked to leave and one doesn't, one could be charged with trespass.

Get's a bit confusing, at first, but most places don't have the 30.06 or any signs.
    Chuck

I think that companies the size of Fry's have lawyers far more educated than you or I, and if their intention had been to put up a sign barring legal CHL, they would have done so.

I think it's there more as a 'feel good' factor for the sheep. Sort of a nudge, wink type of thing.

Who knows? But I am pretty sure that SOMEONE at Fry's knows it doesn't hold water. And still it isn't changed.

And WHY do people feel the need to show how much smarter they are by letting those establishments that post a non legally binding sign how to change it to one that is?

Man, I got a lot of feedback that I wasn't expecting. I was just trying to send a message out there about Fry's no firearm sign. I also see that I wrote some things in there that could lead them to post a legal sign. Regardless if they do or don't they wouldn't be getting any of my business from now on anyway. And as far as me trying to show how much smarter I am than they are...get real.

Humm I was in their Phoenix store a year back and I did not see any no gun sign.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

There are valid reasons to have "no unlicensed weapon" signs rather than "no weapon" signs. In Texas, all establishments that sells alcohol must have one of the two posted (it gives carry holders both "go" and "no go" signs - a good thing).

I also would not be surprised if the "no weapon" signs serve as notification that the laws prohibiting unlicensed carry on public property also apply to the private property of the establishment. I can can understand that an establishment would like to avoid the confrontation that verbal notification would cause.

Senior Moderator

Why train them to properly exclude lawful CCW?

This way, if one chooses to enter the store, there are no legal issues. Teaching them to fix their sign just means that lawfully armed citizens are actually barred from their store.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Links