CCW on the flight line

CCW on the flight line

This is a discussion on CCW on the flight line within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sure someone in this forum can give me insight into the regs pertaining to carrying a weapon on the flightline. Assuming a valid CCW ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW on the flight line

CCW on the flight line

I'm sure someone in this forum can give me insight into the regs pertaining to carrying a weapon on the flightline. Assuming a valid CCW for the state your in. I fly out of a small municipal airport and private strips. What I want to know is can I fly into a commercial airport carrying my weapon. What would happen at a FAA ramp check if I was armed, with a valid CCW permit? Do we have any FAA inspectors in this forum? I await your replies with mags on, prop clear, clearance issued.
    When the chips are down, only hits count

Train as you fight, fight as you train.
    Sig 220-45,Sig 225-9mm,Sig 226-.40,Bernelli M1,Bernelli Nova, SW 4340-.40
    Glock 19,Llama Mini .45,U-238 WMD, (so the anti's say),and others

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    That's... a darn good question, albeit one possibly best answered by another forum. I look forward to reading replies to this thread.

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Just my opinion but i would think that as long as you have a valid CCW from the state that you land in, or have the appropiate recip that you would be OK. You wouldn't be in a security area so there shouldn't be any attempt to search your person. I own a Cessna 152 and have wondered that also as i plan on trying to fly to Las Vegas next year.

The ramp as well as the sterile area are both a NO NO according to Federal law as well as most state laws unless ofcourse you are a LEO with a flying armed document.
    ~Teddy Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun!~

Ex Member Array HollowpointHank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    The ramp as well as the sterile area are both a NO NO according to Federal law as well as most state laws unless ofcourse you are a LEO with a flying armed document.
    I was thinking of an FBO. Aren't they privately owned?

Well, most FBOs are privately owned. But most of the airports are owned by a municipality. From the way I read the law here in Georgia, one could carry aboard general aviation aircraft at the pilot's sole descretion. Since I am the pilot I permit carry. I never pass through metal detectors or xray machines, so I don't worry too much. Although I fly out of Chattanooga most times - still the same. I would treat a ramp check in the same regards as I would a traffic stop. I would never volunteer any info. As long as it is concealed - who would ever know. Plus I don't consider the FAA LEOs - they can revoke your pilots license - but they would have to call law enforcement for anything further - that is my opinion. I feel a need to carry - more so at the smaller air strips - who knows when it's going to be your (un)lucky day. We live in a different world now. You are legal to carry in general aviation aircraft. It's your local /state laws that is your issue. Just make sure where you take off and where you land is legal to carry. There have been some instances where TSA attempts to regulate general aviation and firearms - it cannot! We are never in a secured area for commercial aircraft - infact, alarms would probably go off if your aircraft ventured into the secured areas of the ramp. Check out www.aopa.org - the forum section and do a search on firearms. Oh by the way - one of my favorite places to shop - Sporty's - recently posted a no firearms allowed sign at their facility for those flying & driving in. So you know who will be boycotting them - plus writing a letter.

VIP Member
    Good info FlyboyLDB
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I do some work for Atlantic Aviation, an FBO at Louisville's airport. They have the no firearms signs posted on their doors.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Flyboy has the best answer here. However, I have been to FBO's that have had metal detectors and x-ray machines. Coming off the ramp wouldn't be a problem, but getting to the aircraft could be. Not sure what their firearms policy was.

One thing I'd be afraid of is a multi-state cross country and having an emergency or otherwise needing to divert (weather) and land in a state with no reciprocity with whatever permit(s) a person had. You would not be legal to CCW or possibly even have a handgun at that point. I wonder what would happen. I'd just hide it somewhere VERY special during my, ahem, extended and detailed post flight inspection.

Good question. I wondered this myself and was only now triggered to read the literature for a ruling.

Just to clarify on flyboy's response:

While operating Part 91 you are allowed to carry where permitted. With regards to this specific topic, Part 135 and 121 regulations prevail over Part 91 while oparting under such regulations.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I believe if you are caught, no matter how, armed carrying in an airport flight line boundary, especially under the increased security and sensitivity of aircraft and weapons:

1) You will never carry again (legally)
    2) You will pay hefty fines (plus lawyer)
    3) You may do jail time

Not worth the chance that I can sneak one by them...not sure what is to be gained by carrying on one's own privately owned aircraft.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I believe if you are caught, no matter how, armed carrying in an airport flight line boundary, especially under the increased security and sensitivity of aircraft and weapons:

3) You may do jail time

Not worth the chance that I can sneak one by them...not sure what is to be gained by carrying on one's own privately owned aircraft.

Rick
    I know a guy flying part 135 freight that ended up landing in a farmers field. The big dogs got to the pilot and attacked, before the farmer had even woken up and made it out the door. Thats why he carries a gun now

Quote Originally Posted by JJEXP View Post
    I know a guy flying part 135 freight that ended up landing in a farmers field. The big dogs got to the pilot and attacked, before the farmer had even woken up and made it out the door. Thats why he carries a gun now
    As a CCW? Or as a Federally Authorized? Sounds like the dogs were doing their duty as technically, he was trespassing. Regardless...mace probably would of worked better or a nice steak.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post

3) You may do jail time

Rick
    Legislative proof...?

Or is this merely opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by zerouniform View Post
    Legislative proof...?

Or is this merely opinion?
    1) Research TSA
    2) I stated "I believe"

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links