universities not banning guns? - Page 2

universities not banning guns?

This is a discussion on universities not banning guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The AG of Virginia clarified that its NOT illegal to carry on campus with a CHP. (Except VCU). However, all Virginia colleges have some sort ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: universities not banning guns?

The AG of Virginia clarified that its NOT illegal to carry on campus with a CHP. (Except VCU).

However, all Virginia colleges have some sort of "gun free zone" policy. You can see how well that worked out for everyone at my school >:|

You would just be kicked out of school and your parents would be sent a note. No legal effect.His opinion is also WRONG. It is a state building (all buildings on CU campus) and therfoe every entrance of every building must have a metal detector to enfore the policy.
    Well you might want to tell this guy who was charged with two felony counts. And he wasn't even carrying, they were just in his dorm room.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2007/165.html

Though I cannot find any recent news on the case, not sure if its still pending or what.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    Well you might want to tell this guy who was charged with two felony counts. And he wasn't even carrying, they were just in his dorm room.

http://www.colorado.edu/news/releases/2007/165.html

Though I cannot find any recent news on the case, not sure if its still pending or what.
    I was going by what the Larimer County Sheriff said in person on the KHOW 630 Caplis and Silverman show. He said that the CU Regents policy was against CRS 12:18

Maybe dorms have a different rule. But won't there need to be a state law against it? Maybe that's a Boulder City Ordinance. I didn't realize that a school could make up felonies

I was under the impression that a school can only make and enforce policy. They aren't a state legislative body by any stretch of the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    I was going by what the Larimer County Sheriff said in person on the KHOW 630 Caplis and Silverman show. He said that the CU Regents policy was against CRS 12:18

Maybe dorms have a different rule. But won't there need to be a state law against it? Maybe that's a Boulder City Ordinance. I didn't realize that a school could make up felonies
    I don't think this guy hnd a CCW permit. It is a class 6 felony to possess a firearm on University property without a CCW. Unless it is locked in your automobile. So lession learned, leave in your car

Here is the oly DU policy I cand find. What do you think?

Possession of a Weapon
    The unlawful possession of a weapon, without justification or excuse. For a further discussion see CRS 18-12-101 through 18-12-110. See also DMC 38-116 through 38-145.

ACTION:
    If suspect is not a DU student, faculty or staff member:

1. Contact and request DPD assistance.

2. Protect scene, evidence, etc. from all people until DPD arrives.

3. Identify all victims, witnesses, suspects, etc.

4. Assist DPD in any manner requested.

5. Make necessary notifications to appropriate University Officials.

6. Complete Incident report.

If suspect is a DU student, faculty, or staff member:

1. Perform investigation.

2. Make necessary notifications to appropriate University Officials.

3. Complete incident report.

LexisNexis Legal Site - complicated, but full of answers

Here's the skinny on school grounds:
    LexisNexis is linked from the official state page referencing all Colorado (and other states) laws, statues, codes, etc, etc, etc.

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by ethereal View Post
    Here's the skinny on school grounds:
    LexisNexis is linked from the official state page referencing all Colorado (and other states) laws, statues, codes, etc, etc, etc.

18-12-105.5. Unlawfully carrying a weapon - unlawful possession of weapons - school, college, or university grounds.
    Okay so this part says it's OK.

(3) It shall not be an offense under this section if:

The person, at the time of carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or

(d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of section 18-12-214 (3); or

(e) The person is a peace officer, as described in section 16-2.5-101, C.R.S., when carrying a weapon in conformance with the policy of the employing agency as provided in section 16-2.5-101 (2), C.R.S.; or

Out here in the PRC you aren't even allowed to PASS GAS on campus!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Out here in the PRC you aren't even allowed to PASS GAS on campus!!
    I would sya you could just move, but most of Calif. already has moved to CO. LoL

In CA CCWers are exempt for the "gun free zone". However, if you are a student and signed your life away to the CSU, or whatever, you are to inform/ask the campus security about your CCW and request the privilege of packing on campus...Otherwise you may not "PASS GAS" on campus
    Happiness is a warm 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    The AG of Virginia clarified that its NOT illegal to carry on campus with a CHP. (Except VCU).

However, all Virginia colleges have some sort of "gun free zone" policy. You can see how well that worked out for everyone at my school >:|
    Like Kavity said, here in VA only VCU is actually stated in the law. The others have it written in their student handbook. Most of them state students/employees can not carry, which means parents or someone not affiliated with the school is ok. Others have it marked that no one shall carry or posses a firearm on campus grounds.

Mine is marked that nobody can carry. Fortunately for me, I do not live on campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Fastwaker View Post
    Like Kavity said, here in VA only VCU is actually stated in the law. The others have it written in their student handbook. Most of them state students/employees can not carry, which means parents or someone not affiliated with the school is ok. Others have it marked that no one shall carry or posses a firearm on campus grounds.

Mine is marked that nobody can carry. Fortunately for me, I do not live on campus.
    I don't live on campus either---I just spend most of my day there. I go to class from 8-3-ish then work from 4-8-ish(on campus).

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    The federal law you're thinking of is the Gun Free School Zones act. It only applies to K-12 schools, not colleges. Even then, it allows states to exempt people with CCW permits from that restriction (as Utah and several other states have done).
    Thanks.

No where that I know of in TX. State law says no carry in school facilities of any grade. Gov. Perry wants any CHL holder to be able to carry anywhere. We'll see.
    ...one jagged hole!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links