universities not banning guns?

This is a discussion on universities not banning guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know what universities out there DONT ban me from carrying?...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: universities not banning guns?

universities not banning guns?

Does anyone know what universities out there DONT ban me from carrying?

2. Remove Ads

The University of Utah (and other state universities in Utah) allow you to carry a firearm on campus. This is a policy I take full advantage of.

VIP Member
    If you're a criminal you can carry on any campus in this country. If you have a permit, you're limited to Utah.

Of course, you already know that you'll have to leave Michigan Fries- oops, I mean friesepferd.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

State law does not prohibit you from carrying on campus in Colorado, however there has been a ruling that the board of regents can still ban them, and it carries legal weight.

The only one I am aware of that does not ban carry is CSU in Fort Collins. The Larimer County sheriff is very pro 2A and carry.

I know CU has banned guns for sure. Any of the others you would have to call and ask. I would be surprised if there are more then one or two others that don't ban them.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

I thought it was a Federal Law stating that no firearms are to be carried on the promises of a school be it private or public.

Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    I thought it was a Federal Law stating that no firearms are to be carried on the promises of a school be it private or public.
    The federal law you're thinking of is the Gun Free School Zones act. It only applies to K-12 schools, not colleges. Even then, it allows states to exempt people with CCW permits from that restriction (as Utah and several other states have done).

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    If you're a criminal you can carry on any campus in this country. If you have a permit, you're limited to Utah.
    All too true...sigh!

me
    State Law does not preclude it in PA
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Not true. CSU Fort Collins allows permit holders to carry. The other state schools ban them by policy, but according to the letter of the law should allow licensed carry. This hasn't come to a court case yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeAngel View Post
    State law does not prohibit you from carrying on campus in Colorado, however there has been a ruling that the board of regents can still ban them, and it carries legal weight.
    Well, maybe. The "ruling" was a legal opinion written by then-Attorney General Salazar (now one of our Senators :( ) that the Regents had the same constitutional prerogatives as the legislature and that state laws did not apply to them unless specifically mentioned in the law. Salazar is no longer Attorney General, and a legal opinion is not the same as a court ruling.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Well, maybe. The "ruling" was a legal opinion written by then-Attorney General Salazar (now one of our Senators :( ) that the Regents had the same constitutional prerogatives as the legislature and that state laws did not apply to them unless specifically mentioned in the law. Salazar is no longer Attorney General, and a legal opinion is not the same as a court ruling.
    Ahhhh, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.

But while only a legal opinion you would be in for one expensive legal fight to prove it wrong... sad really.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

The only one I am aware of that does not ban carry is CSU in Fort Collins. The Larimer County sheriff is very pro 2A and carry.

I know CU has banned guns for sure. Any of the others you would have to call and ask. I would be surprised if there are more then one or two others that don't ban them.
    According to all the documentation I can find The University of Denver only bans illegal weapons. They will call DPD and report you for having an illegal weapon. SO since I have only legal weapons I am GTG.

Ahhhh, that's right. Thanks for clearing that up.

But while only a legal opinion you would be in for one expensive legal fight to prove it wrong... sad really.
    You would just be kicked out of school and your parents would be sent a note. No legal effect.His opinion is also WRONG. It is a state building (all buildings on CU campus) and therfoe every entrance of every building must have a metal detector to enfore the policy.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

So I'm curious. Does anybody know about Arizona campuses?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The Juco my daughter goes to here in colorado does not address weapons at all in any of the student handouts .. apparently not only ccw is ok there but so is keeping weapons in the dorms ( she does not do dorm so that is not an issue in any event , but she does ccw )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links