The ''trust'' factor - or lack of it. - Page 2

The ''trust'' factor - or lack of it.

This is a discussion on The ''trust'' factor - or lack of it. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not responding to anyone's post in particular, its about trusting someone with a firearm! Trust with a firearm-A state senatorís 20 year old(about) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This is not responding to anyone's post in particular, its about trusting someone with a firearm!

Trust with a firearm-A state senatorís 20 year old(about) is with his friend who enters the room with a shotgun and blows his head off. Guess how many stupid anti-gun bills we are faced with because of this. Trust-A father or step father is in the bathroom with his new shotgun and manages to blow the arm apart of the 3 year old daughter standing nearby.
    Trust- How many cops have an ND with glocks going on duty. Trust-Have you ever seen the video of the suspect in custody lying on the ground and a nearby female cop holsters her weapon and it fires.
    Trust-Street cops bring a weapon confiscated from a BG to the police armory, a firearms expert with 30 years experience is holding it and it auto fires right through his head.
    Sometimes trust is not enough. These are the events I know of think about how many others happen because of Trust.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    These are the events I know of think about how many others happen because of Trust.
    Small caveat FortyFive - ''Misplaced'' trust!! Or - if you like, trust based on inadequate/overly casual appraisal or assessment etc.

Not trying to be pedantic!! (honest!).
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Trust is a complicated issue in our world of be very careful or very dead!!!!
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Trust - A video of a DEA agent showing kids and parents firearms and makes the statement that he is the only one "professional" enough to hand said firearm (Glock 40) safely, just before shooting himself in the foot. :)
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    How we feel about someone else's lifestyle choices has a LOT to do with cultural conditioning. I believe carry is a right of every American but I wouldn't trust half of the people I've ever known to carry. In a moral responsible society, there is little need for weapons, however, in such a society everyone can carry without any problems. But when a country starts sliding off the deep end (and I believe we are in a big way), then there are going to be more and more I wouldn't trust with a gun, and there'll be more and more need for some to have guns! A pretty bad situation but it's the reality. What concerns me about all of this besides the trust issue is the cultural conditioning. Some people just can't grasp why I'd want to own a gun, much less walk around in the relative safety of my own home with one on my side. Another matter that gums the works up further is how perceptions are formed about different people and their lifestyles. I carry, love weapons, ride a bike and I'm a born again, ordained Baptist Preacher who is so concervative the "far right" would seem liberal in contrast, yet there are quite a few people who have a very negative perception about that combination. It's where that perception comes from that concerns me. You take a young child, raise them without guns, history of the US, or without truly knowing God and then show most bad guys as long haired, foul mouthed, jerks with guns who often drive motorcycles, and you've created a perception. Thank you very much Hollywood! Now, take a clean cut guy who loves the outdoors, enjoys riding anything (horses to bikes), who keeps his language clean and tries to act with character, honor, and integrity and most people think they're nerds, jerks, wimps, etc. Where'd that perception come from? Hollywood again? I'm not sure, but I know it's happening. I really appreciate it when I see folks on these forums reminding us that our example is important and I worry about the ones (not on this forum of course, ) who come off seeming like paranoide gun freaks who don't care about any law other than the law of their own personal survial.

I've spent a lot of time researching CCW, weapons, etc. and I've seen some attitudes on other forums that would greatly contribute to a negative perception of those who carry.

As for getting rid of friends over this, I think it would have to really depend on the circumstances. I think of the friends I have now and if they told me kindly not to carry in their house I can't imagine not being their friend over that issue. I wouldn't agree with them, but I'd respect them. If carrying a gun in their house is more important than the friendship, then I didn't really have much of a friendship with them. But I guess you're all talking about folks we meet and begin to know. In that case I guess I probably wouldn't have too much in common with them. Then again, being a Preacher, a lot of folks tend to shy away.

Well, just my two cents, but I think were heading for perilous times in this country and I wonder if my grandchildren will be able to CCW!

take care

Gideon

Assistant Administrator
    Now, take a clean cut guy who loves the outdoors, enjoys riding anything (horses to bikes), who keeps his language clean and tries to act with character, honor, and integrity and most people think they're nerds, jerks, wimps, etc. Where'd that perception come from?
    I am sure Gideon - I really don't know!! But anti gun folks do indeed seem to have some wierd perceptions - never helped I am sad to say by the macho, all camo - survivalist Aryan nation types they have in mind! Talk about painting with a broad brush!

I too respect friend's requests - but my overriding point is simply that - if they were to see me as a threat simply because I happen to tote a gun then - there is my mistrust deal! I try and understand this strange paranoia towards ''the gun'' as a dangerous entity in itself - when the danger only ever comes from the owner/user.

However - I have rambled long on this pet peeve - probably time to stop beating my head - it probably gets tiresome to all! Problem I guess is - I hold that rare thing, trust - as rather precious, whichever way it goes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links