Should I bring up Concealed Carry on Campus to the news media?

This is a discussion on Should I bring up Concealed Carry on Campus to the news media? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a Virginia Tech student I am in a unique situation. As most of you are aware there are tons of news media around campus ...

View Poll Results: Should I bring up Campus CCW with News media???

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

121 82.31%
  • No

7 4.76%
  • Maybe

19 12.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I bring up Concealed Carry on Campus to the news media?

Should I bring up Concealed Carry on Campus to the news media?

As a Virginia Tech student I am in a unique situation. As most of you are aware there are tons of news media around campus again for the start of the new semester. Most of these are frequently interviewing returning students about their thoughts, feelings, ect.

My question to you guys is: should I take advantage of this situation to (hopefully) bring CCW on campus into the national spotlight. I get the impression that the media would eat this up--especially coming from a returning VT student.

Yes
    No
    Maybe

(If the admins /mods would make this into a real poll I would appreciate it.)

I am open to any comments or suggestions.

2. Remove Ads

I think it would be great if you could get national attention on this issue. However, I don't recommend you breaking the law to do so - by carrying on campus or displaying your weapon in a manner that is illegal.

It would be nice, fantastic is probably a better word, to change things so that concealed carry people can carry on the campus of VT and other campuses in VA - and more than that nationwide.

Don't expect change quickly though. We will probably have to fight for every inch of the battle on this.

I praise you for being willing to pick up this task.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

Preparation

There are two points that were not covered in the media blitz back in April.

1. Cho knew of the rule against CCW, since it had been discussed for over a year in the media and on campus. Since his goal was to poke a stick in the eye of VT, this was the most obvious means to show his desire to settle his score with the VT administration.

2. Last fall a convict in the hospital in the area escaped, killing two LEO's in the process. The response was cornfused, to say the least. This event gave Cho insight into what would happen when he started pulling the trigger.

Have the details of these events clearly in hand when you talk to anybody.
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; August 19th, 2007 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling of VT
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Assistant Administrator
    I think a diplomatic approach could be useful - very polite, no ranting - just stating the case about gun-free zones and their disadvantage.

Stress the requirements for legal CCW's - clean record, responsible folks - plus they are folks very aware of the law and its ramifications. This making a case for the legitimate carrying of a firearm - which does not mean ''rivers of blood'' and gunfights every five minutes!!!

You must tread gently anyways - just making the point that maybe - just maybe - had someone been legally carrying that dreadful day in April - the body count might have been at least lower - or even a lot lower.

I will try and put this up for you as a poll - tho right now am not succeeding! Ok - we have lift off!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree, it would be great if you could get some media attention to the campus CCW issue. However, if the media does pick up the idea and run with it, this will be a time for the pro-CCW folks to be on their very best behavior as we know that antis (who are often found in the news media) will be looking for any excuse they can come up with to portray you as a 'nut,' 'redneck,' 'warmonger' or any other negative spin that they can come up with.

Brian

In Virginia it's not against the law to carry on campus, it's just against school policy. So this means, you will be suspended or expelled. I remember reading a VCDL newsletter that one of the members was at VA Tech and had a firearm but it was in his car. He didn't want to carry the firearm to class, because he was afraid of losing his diploma. In the article he said if I had died I would have lost my diploma anyway. It's hard and everyone will have to decide for themselves of what to do. I would bring awarness to this issue. I like what Andrew Dysart is doing on George Mason campus. He has been on Fox News, CNBC, CNN, MSNBC and getting nationwide attention on this very issue.

You can go to his website: http://www.gmustudentsforconcealedcarry.org/

You can also find out a lot of info on opencarry.org : http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum64/

One good thing is that at least Blue Ridge Community College allows CCW if you have your CHP.
    G19
    G26

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    This would be a great opportunity to begin the discussion. The reality is that the change is going to have to come from the rational and law-abiding students who will demonstrate the maturity that students can be trusted to carry.

I say go for it. In fact, get a concealed carry student group going and funded by your student government. They shouldn't be able to turn you down for some funding. Bring in a speaker for a debate. Lots of things you can do.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    I agree, it would be great if you could get some media attention to the campus CCW issue. However, if the media does pick up the idea and run with it, this will be a time for the pro-CCW folks to be on their very best behavior as we know that antis (who are often found in the news media) will be looking for any excuse they can come up with to portray you as a 'nut,' 'redneck,' 'warmonger' or any other negative spin that they can come up with.

Brian
    I would have to agree, the anti's in the media, would probably edit the daylights out of what you had to say and make you look like some kind of "gun fanatic". To be honest with you as soon as you started talking pro gun, they'd probably cut the camera off. As we all know "guns kill people".....Oh crap gotta go my .45 just went out front and shot my neighbor.
    If you want a battle of the wit's, please come armed.

Ron Paul Revolution 2008!!!

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    absolutely....just make sure you 'have done your homework' and are ready if the situation arises.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Up to you.

By pushing the issue, you're effectively divulging (by proxy) that you carry concealed. You also risk the wrath or at least minor displeasure of "anti" administrators who wish to burn your butt for forcing something down their throats. Nobody likes that, and their power over you is: education at "their" institution.

As well, there is no telling whether "the media" would in fact transmit your message intact. I agree with the doubting Thomases, above, that it would likely be twisted for agenda's sake ... and you can bet that the agendas won't be yours. Given that the media outlets aren't under your control, neither will the message be under your control. Something to think about, going down this path leaving the communication editing and transmission in their "good" hands.

So. Decide whether the risks are worth it. If crafted in conjunction with some good legal minds, you might well have the makings of a groundswell movement that could garner attention and action. Consider contacting one or more well-respected legal eagles, the NRA's legal team, or some "names" you're familiar with in the industry. You might be surprised at the assistance that would be forthcoming.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Optimisticly i say heck yes do it, but be calm cool and collected about it, so they don't think you are a right wing 2ahole. on a side note, you could be all danny zuko about it (he's real cool/slick) and they might still call you a right wing nut. Getting a message out via the meida is tough, unless that message will sell stuff.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Play it to the hilt, boy! Do some good!

As a returning student, you have a legitimacy to your comments and feelings on that subject that all but a few thousand people in the entire world do not have. Whose perspective on this is more germane and relevant than a student who was attending when the slaughter happened, and who is going back to school there?

The media might just listen to you. Any of us, even The Nuge, they don't give a rat's turd about because we're not toeing the party line of "ban guns, that'll make everyone safe!"

I vote YES! Speak up on what you believe. Be careful about citing a bunch of statistics as they will be picked apart in a effort to discredit you. Stick to what you "believe."

Unfortunately, it is only a matter of time before someone else takes advantage of a gun free zone to display their hate. Those of us who CCW must and do live to a high standard with the law and generally take a conservative philosophy toward our duty to help others.

We are statiscally a very small percentage of the population, but we are growing while the rate of violent crime in declining.

Speak up and we will all be proud.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    My concern is unless you have some media training to tackle a very controversial subject, you could be left out to dry and CCW take a blackeye in general. Especially if you go solo on the subject. Now if there was a group lets say that want to voice their opinion...power is in numbers.

Generally, I would advise against it...a lone voice can be labeled a fanatic by the uneducated. It is an emotional issue that can backfire if not prepared to answer questions you had not thought about. Passion is one thing...but facts do speak louder. Woulda, coulda, shoulda argument won't pass the litmus test.

Rick

I say yes the media should know that there are law-abiding and rational people who attend the school and would carry on-campus to defend themselves and everyone around them. It is easy to be labelled, especially if you are alone. The image of college students, especially male college students, as bear drinking, rowdy and irrisponsible is the current common perception. When the liberal sheeple think of putting guns in the hands of these people they are scared. If you could get a group together, especially a group with a large percentage of female CCW holders and approach the media, that would be better. Spending a little time talking among yourselves and doing some role playing to make sure you come off as level-headed and informed would be good too.

When the media have gone I think that an on-campus group that supports each other in the CCW effort would also be good, and might later garner some media attention too. Just make sure you have a minority woman go to the student government with the proposal. The liberals shouldn't be the only ones who can work the system. They would shoot down a white male in a heartbeat. Better yet, get someone in a wheelchair. They don't play fair, why should you?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links