Texas State Park Carry

Texas State Park Carry

This is a discussion on Texas State Park Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I are going to Paloduro Canyon in North Texas. This is a state park and I was just wondering if I can ...

Question Texas State Park Carry

My wife and I are going to Paloduro Canyon in North Texas. This is a state park and I was just wondering if I can carry there with my CHL. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Regulations don't mention carry with CHL at all. If anyone has an answer or knows where I can find a clear cut answer, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Eddie
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

See this posting with letter from State Parks Director.

Suggest you subscribe to the Texas CHL Forum -- lots of great information shared there.
    Chuck

Yes, you can. Take a look at the Texas section of the handgunlaw.us National Off Limits list.

I would suggest you make sure you keep it concealed and don't mention it to anyone. A lot of Texas state parks have postings saying no guns allowed. While the signs are not legal nor have any legal effect, many park rangers do not know that. So you could be hassled if one finds out. As was stated above, look at the TexasCHLforum for more information.

M2
    Thank you for your interest in the Texas State Parks.

A person can carry a loaded concealed handgun in Texas State Parks with a current and valid CHL license at anytime. Please remember that you must continue to follow all CHL rules while carrying in State Parks.

If you need further information, please contact the Law Enforcement Division.

We hope to see you at a Texas State Park soon!

Ana María Jarman
    Park Information
    Texas Parks and Wildlife
    Customer Service Center
    "Ask me about a State Parks Pass"
    Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    Texas Senate Bill 501 passed in 2005 prevents any state, county, or municipality from barring CHLs from carrying on any state, county or municipality owned or leased property (except the listed places barring weapons in the penal code)
    This means you're good in all state parks (the director of TPWD made his "proclomation after the law was passed, I guess to make him look good?)
    here's a pre-welcome to the panhandle.....and have fun at our grand canyon
    if you need any info or anything PM me
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I live in Amarillo and can comfortably say that yu should not expect any trouble what so ever. Don' worry about it. Just keep it concealed per the law and you shouldn't have any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    (the director of TPWD made his "proclomation after the law was passed, I guess to make him look good?)
    Actually, I always got the impression that it was more of a matter of ensuring his employees would all be on the same page, and that none of them would be trying to skirt the law by claiming their park is special. By having the policy state that the privilege of changing that rule is reserved to the Executive Director, he forces any ranger who wants to try it to ask permission, thus exposing the potential problem. AFAIK, it has never been exercised, and likely wouldn't stand up if challenged unless the park area in question became a prohibited place under some other section. (school event, court, site of an execution, polling place, etc.)

Glad to see this info here. I called Buffalo Lake, and the girl told me "guns are not allowed because hunting and shooting aren't allowed".

I could tell she didn't know, but pretty good reasoning on her part, I thought.

M2
    The TPWD letter was signed in 1998, and according to you, Bill 501 wasn't passed until 2005...

But this is good to know, as I was wondering what the policy was in the city parks in San Antonio.

Cheers! M2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kd5nrh View Post
    Actually, I always got the impression that it was more of a matter of ensuring his employees would all be on the same page, and that none of them would be trying to skirt the law by claiming their park is special. By having the policy state that the privilege of changing that rule is reserved to the Executive Director, he forces any ranger who wants to try it to ask permission, thus exposing the potential problem. AFAIK, it has never been exercised, and likely wouldn't stand up if challenged unless the park area in question became a prohibited place under some other section. (school event, court, site of an execution, polling place, etc.)
    very well may have been the reason for the letter, but I would hope (I know its wishful thinking) that park rangers would adhere to the laws, my bro is an Asst Park Mgr at a state park and he knew about the change in law when it became effective;
    In case anyone didn't know, it was policy at all state parks to not allow firearms period and this has caused great confusion, SB501 clears it all up for CHLs

quote from M2:
    The TPWD letter was signed in 1998, and according to you, Bill 501 wasn't passed until 2005...

But this is good to know, as I was wondering what the policy was in the city parks in San Antonio.

I was unaware of a letter from 1998, the letter I was talking about was sent out to parks after SB501 was passed, oh well...better to communicate too much rather than not enough!
    ...as for the city parks, etc.....some of them actually have 30.06 signs on them, which of course are un-enforcable, I've heard of various buildings around the state posted and its not enforcable,
    have fun at the park
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links