Cocked and locked or just cocked?

This is a discussion on Cocked and locked or just cocked? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying a 1911 for a long time. Started carrying it with the chamber empty and hammer down. Eventually started carrying it C&L. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cocked and locked or just cocked?

Cocked and locked or just cocked?

I have been carrying a 1911 for a long time. Started carrying it with the chamber empty and hammer down. Eventually started carrying it C&L. The thumb safety seems to be just one more thing that can succumb to Murphy's law in a shoot or get shot situation. Have considered leaving it off. Still have the grip safety and trigger to work through. If my thumb misses the safety when she is coming out it will cause some serious lag time. Would like some input.
    Thanks,
    Buck

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The gun has the safety for a very real reason. If you want to carry with one in the tube and no safety, get a gun that was desifned to be carried that way.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

NO NO NO

I can't say that any clearer. If you want a "point and shoot" type weapon do what I did. Sell the 1911 and carry something else.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    Sounds about as safe as carrying a SAA revo cocked. Not safe at all.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I concur....if a weapon has a safety it should be engaged, period.

Maybe a Glock is in your future? Hmmmm?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by whamonkey View Post
    I concur....if a weapon has a safety it should be engaged, period.

Maybe a Glock is in your future? Hmmmm?

+1, if the thumb safety worries you that much, get a Glock, Sig, S&W M&P, XD, Walther, or anything else that you can carry without ignoring a safety.

Gentlemen, I too felt it was probably a bad idea on its face. I was however hoping for some explaination other than "the safety is there for a reason". The inverse of that logic would dictate that before the advent of the grip safety or the hammer block "if it was needed it would be there". And the comparison with the SAA is not completely valid in that the firearm does not have the grip safety and the cocked position puts the trigger at a pull weight well below a save carry level.

Having said that, I thank you for your input and agree that it is unsafe to carry a 1911 without the safety on. Thanks again!
    Buck

I carry my HK USPs with one in the pipe, hammer locked to the rear, and on safe! I would never carry locked and cocked without the safety engaged. It just doesn't seem safe.

Quote Originally Posted by buckrod73 View Post
    I have been carrying a 1911 for a long time. Started carrying it with the chamber empty and hammer down. Eventually started carrying it C&L. The thumb safety seems to be just one more thing that can succumb to Murphy's law in a shoot or get shot situation. Have considered leaving it off. Still have the grip safety and trigger to work through. If my thumb misses the safety when she is coming out it will cause some serious lag time. Would like some input.
    Thanks,
    Buck
    I would seriously advise against doing what you're considering. It's unsafe.

The whole idea to carrying a concealed firewarm, IMHO, is to decrease the chances of you or yours getting seriously injured through the ability to defend yourself and them. What you're considering actually (dramatically) increases the chances of you or someone in close proximity to you getting hurt. Just give some though to just how light a SA trigger is. Now think about you manipulating a cocked and unlocked weapon into or out of a holster. Thinking about it makes me nervous. Just a thought.

Buy a glock. I own one and love it. No unintentional discharges are going to happen with a glock and unless I'm cleaning it there is always one in the chamber.

I'm not trying to be preachy. Just trying to give you some honest advice. Hey, that's why we're all here, right?

cw

Are you shooting with your thumb riding the safety? If not, IMHO that's the way the 1911 is supposed to be shot. Thumb goes down (safety off) as finger is approaching trigger, safety back on as finger is removed. Do it enough and it's muscle memory; you won't forget. A Glock makes a nice spare gun for 1911 shooters since it has no safety. On the other hand, something like a Five-SeVen that uses an index finger saftey would be a poor choice for a spare. All my opinions of course.

Lightbulb

an XD-45 has the same calibre and can be safely carried just as you'd like to have a 1911

And you have a choice of 3", 4" , or 5" barrel,
    short or long grip

It ain't as pretty, but just as mean -- and no thumb safety to worry about remembering

Don't worry about carrying cocked and locked....

that is the way the gun was designed to be carried. As for other posters who mentioned "point and shoot" weapons, don't worry. with practice, you can point and shoot a 1911 as fast as any other handgun. My average draw and shoot times are around 1.2 seconds out of a carry holster, hitting an IPSC target at 25 yards in the "A" zone. Practice will remove your apprehension with the thumb safety and you will be much more confident; hang in there.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I agree with madengr; both of my 1911's safeties are turned off by the way I grip the gun.

unless you're left handed like I am ... then it doesn't happen so smoothly.

VIP Member
    The 1911 was designed to be carried cocked and locked.

I think the answer is... Practice Practice Practice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links