Newbie Question: Can someone define "Printing"?

This is a discussion on Newbie Question: Can someone define "Printing"? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does this mean that no one can tell you have a firearm or that no one can tell you have anything? It seems to me ...

Thread: Newbie Question: Can someone define "Printing"?

Does this mean that no one can tell you have a firearm or that no one can tell you have anything? It seems to me that it is almost impossible, especially in pocket carry, to not look like you are carrying something. A 642/442 in a front pocket carry doesn't seem very concealed to me, so far. Maybe that's just my perception though.

Thoughts?

From my understanding 'printing' means that your weapon is showing its contours through your garment. I may be wrong though, carrying is forbidden here. Not even the police carry. At least that equalizes things, in an insane way..

[QUOTE=joffe;459583]From my understanding 'printing' means that your weapon is showing its contours through your garment. I may be wrong though, carrying is forbidden here. Not even the police carry. At least that equalizes things, in an insane way..[/QUOT

Aelbric, joffe's right about the weapon showing its form through the fabric. That's printing. Obvioulsy something to be avoided for CC.

He is absolutely inaccurate when he states that things are equalized. BGs (Bad Guys) will always have the upper hand because they don't care to obey the law. Yet even more importantly, the citizens are powerless to resist the (future, potential) tyrrany of the state.

BTW, welcome to the forum, both of you!
    "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is wholly inadequate for the government of any other." --- John Adams
    (1735-1826) Founding Father, 2nd US President
    Source: Oct. 11, 1798; Address to the military

I agree to the above 100% I left California 11 years ago and one of the reasons was because I was not allowed to protect my wife and children. Just glad I didn't have to move to a different continent.

Back On Topic, the first reply has it perfect, it is your weapons outline is visible through your cover garment. When I first started carrying 11 years ago I thought everyone knows I am carrying a gun. It didn't take long to realize the majority of the population is paying no attention whatsoever to mode of dress let alone what's under it. I have practiced OC in NC a few times and the majority of folks I came in contact with never noticed the firearm. After you carry awhile you learn ways of bending and reaching for objects to keep any possible printing to a minimum.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

there are two kinds of printing in my opinion.
    1. you can tell there is something there, but nobody would guess there is a gun (unless maybe they are a fellow ccw-er and know how to spot it well). This isnt something to worry about too much. your bound to print a little bit every once in a while
    2. there is a distinct 'gun' outline. If you move a certain way or bend over theres a print on your shirt that just scream 'HEY! im carrying a gun!'. Needless to say this must be avoided.

I carry a S&W mod 36 (j-frame) every day and have for over ten years. To carry every day you need more than one means to carry. Here's my "system": untucked loose fitting shirt, Fobus paddle holster, tucked shirt and dockers, pocket holster. Pocket holsters work great with not so tight jeans or pants. If you don't feel comfortable with pocket carry use a tuckable iwb holster. You can spend alot of money on cheap holsters that don't work, if a quality company makes it, chances are good it works. I don't have any problem with printing, if you use a owb holster be mindful not to raise your arms too high. Don't forget that you need some way to reload quickly, I carry the Bianchi speed strips. They hold up to six rounds and with a little practice you can reload quickly. The folks on this forum really know alot about ccw, there a great resource.
    Last edited by sourmash; August 20th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

VIP Member
    Another possible definition of printing might be:

A topic on CCW Forums that, because of their excessive concern, has the undesired effect of twisting some participants panties in a very tight knot!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Massad Ayoob was on a program on Outdoor TV the other day and showed that using a paddle holster in a loose fitting pants...like dockers...didn't show a imprint.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Aelbric View Post
    Does this mean that no one can tell you have a firearm or that no one can tell you have anything? It seems to me that it is almost impossible, especially in pocket carry, to not look like you are carrying something. A 642/442 in a front pocket carry doesn't seem very concealed to me, so far. Maybe that's just my perception though.

Thoughts?
    To me it means that people can tell you are carrying a firearm through your covering clothing.
    A lump in your pocket is different than a gunbutt poking out of your shirt at 3:30 when you bend over. I left this question alone for a while to seriously think and ponder before I answered and this is the best I could come up with. I purposely didn't read any of the answers to your post yet. Now I will.

Biker

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Printing, to me, means that someone of average observational skills would be able to know, or strongly suspect, that a bulge they see in your clothing is made by a handgun. And it does not refer to the handgun actually being revealed in part or in full. Printing refers to through the clothing.

In my view, now that it is so very common for people to carry cellular phones or other devices on their belts, it is less and less likely that someone who notices the grip of your gun making a bulge in your shirt is going to think it's a certainty that you have a gun there.

For printing to be bad, I would say that it would have to leave no question that the item making the print is a gun, by doing so in a way that seems to rule out phone or PDA or whatever.

Some laws about concealed carry do not adequately deal with what would constitute failure to keep the gun properly concealed. They often mention "conceal the gun from the 'ordinary sight' of a person." Does that mean the person can't be allowed to see the gun itself (that's what I think) or does it mean that the person can't be allowed to see a bulge made by the gun, even if it does not reveal that it is indeed a gun making the bulge?

I just try to take care to not even let the bulge show.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Some laws about concealed carry do not adequately deal with what would constitute failure to keep the gun properly concealed. They often mention "conceal the gun from the 'ordinary sight' of a person." Does that mean the person can't be allowed to see the gun itself (that's what I think) or does it mean that the person can't be allowed to see a bulge made by the gun, even if it does not reveal that it is indeed a gun making the bulge?

I just try to take care to not even let the bulge show.
    I guess this clarifies my question a little more.

It seems we all have been very careful to keep our noses clean and thus have been "granted" our permits. My biggest concern is getting in trouble because of ignorance on my part. I want to be sure I'm understanding what may be putting me at risk for discovery.

It would be nice if we didn't all have to jump through all these hoops to stay concealed.

Ron
    IMO the fact that someone can see that you have something(wallet, cell phone, etc.) in your pocket does not mean that you are "printing," provided that the outline of a gun is not clearly visible. I have carried a 642 revolver in a pocket holster for over a year without any problem whatsoever.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Sponsored Links