Kayak carry

This is a discussion on Kayak carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all: I am looking for a good way to carry while doing some flat water kayaking. I am probably going to carry my makorov ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak carry

Kayak carry

Hello all:
    I am looking for a good way to carry while doing some flat water kayaking. I am probably going to carry my makorov as it is my "beater gun". I bite my tongue as I say that, I reall do love that gun. My other thought is my S&W .22s. I was thinking of mounting a holster into the kayak. I typicall carry the Makarov iwb so this would not seem too comfortable. I also always wear a life jacket. so a shoulder holster seems to be out of the question. Any thoughts and direction are greatly appreciated.

Sherpa

2. Remove Ads

I would consider a Glock if you expect it to be submerged at times. At least find a stainless steel piece if possible. I would be afraid for my Makarov or any other blued gun.

If it were me, I would bring my S&W 642.

Good luck and have fun!
    FREEDOM MATTERS!

I do not expect it to be submerged. I will not carry while whitewater kayaking, only flat water. I have a 10 month old and Just bought my first home so a new gun purchace is not an option. I am just going to make due with what I have. Makarov, S&W .22s, S&W PPKs two tone .380. I do have a dry bag for phone, camera, ect... I was thinking about putting one of my firearms in it as well, put it would be hard to get at. My kayak also has a dry compartment behing the cockpit.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
    Even with a stainless steel gun the firing pin and all of the springs are carbon steel and will rust if you don't completely disassemble and oil it. No gun is made with the intention of submerging it. I recommend putting your gun in a quart ziplock bag and then into a loose holster with a retention strap. If you wear a shirt use one of the undercover shirts under it. If not, perhaps a fanny pack or some type of Thunderwear or belly band might work.
    funny where water ends up while boating, this is good advice.

If I was "playing in da' water" I would carry a Glock.
    I suggest you place your gun, preferably Glock, in a ziplock bag and then place that in a DriBag. You can get Dribags at most Kayaking shops.
    The reason I suggest a Glock is because of where water ends up when you are kayaking, not because I love "plastic pistols". I only own one Glock, just for reasons like this.

Biker

Getting back to the original question, you made a comment about a shoulder holster so I assume you have one. Is it possible to loosen your shoulder holster so as to put it on outside the life vest? Or can you maneuver it under the vest so it rides high and in a position that would allow you to get your hand on the gun? Hard to explain but I have this vision in my head of what I am trying to tell you. I don't kayak but what little I know I think you have a cover around your middle which would make anything on the waist hard to get at. Sorry I can't come up with anything else.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    For kayaking, unless you expect to need a quick-draw of your gun--in which case you'd better expect to deal with some corrosion if you carry the gun exposed--I recommend keeping the gun in either a Pelican Case or an Otter Box. They are mostly the same, and I have used both. Each company makes lots of different sizes, and you'd want one with foam inserts (egg-carton type, possibly).

Then, you want to never open the case when you're near the water except if you need to use the gun. Tether the gun to the kayak, too, using something sturdy.

I have used drybags too, and I would not trust my gun to them. Not that they have leaked for me, but that they have far greater potential to than the dry boxes do.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I think we also need to know what kind ow water. Salt or fresh?

I paddle a Seward Navigator in fresh water and carry my S&W 642 in the front pocket of my PFD.

I stuck the 642 into a Ziplock sandwich bad and tucked the whole thing into the PFD. I can draw and fire through the bag if necessary and the front pocket keeps it close.

Yellow and blue make green!

You also want to make sure you are rotating your ammunition. It shouldn't get wet, but you may see some condensation inside the bag. I don't want to trust my life to wet ammo. Maybe get some old dessicant packs and throw in the bag too.

Good luck
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

To havegunjoe: I have a one of those cloth shoulder holsters from kangaroo industries. I'm not sure if this would work with my life jacket.
    To BIG E: I kayak on fresh water.

My curren life jacket has only one small pocket in the front. Maybe I will buy a new one with a bigger pocket.

If it is a "just in case" and quick access is not required, the vacuum seal food savers do a good job of waterproof storage for smallish items (including handguns and/or ammo). Heck, with the cut to length bag material, you can even vacuum seal a .22 rifle. The bag material is pretty tough...

Nick

This would be a great time to have a lanyard.

Just oil the heck out of the inside parts before you go and put it in zip lock bag. Water won't stick to oiled parts and you can strip, dry and clean when you get home and you won't have any rust anywhere. If it's a blued revolver, light grease on exterior will also keep it from rusting.

Lead Moderator
    I carry in a OWB 3 slot for my HK USP while kayaking. It seems to ride more comfortably that way. I use a kayak life jacket so, it is cut high to fit a skirt . Also, as mentioned , I use a Blackhawk ind. lanyard to make sure the HK stays with me.
    I have found this the best way to carry for me. Often I will do a weekend camp/kayak trip, never had a problem with this combo yet.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I also flat water kayak, and there's 2 ways I carry. Either way, I keep the gun in Ziplock baggie. If it's an extended trip (camping) I have my internal frame pack tied down infront of me with my Glock in a side pouch. It is very easy reach if I need it in a hurry.

If Its a short trip I have a butt pack with water bottles on the sides. Inside I keep our first aid kit in bottom and gun on top. When I get in the kayak I place the pack on the floor of the boat between my knees.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

I use a fanny pack in my kayak...
    Used to have a Taurus revolver, but now take my Glock-36...got to be able to discourage those gators in mating season, don't ya' know...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links