Another alcohol and gun post

This is a discussion on Another alcohol and gun post within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Seems like guns and alcohol posts have been kinda popular so I have one. It may effect many of us. It is a popular opinion ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Seems like guns and alcohol posts have been kinda popular so I have one. It may effect many of us.
    It is a popular opinion that alcohol and guns don't necessarily mix. & alcohol and CCW definitely is illegal. But I propose this: I am home, I eat dinner, Remove CCW from myself and place it in "its place" for safe keeping as I consume a few adult beverages. Then, out of no fault of my own, a need for lethal force arises. Would you be leery of using your weapon in this situation? or Would you use it as any other 'bad' situation requires?
    Your opinions are what I am interested in.
    Personally my weapon will be applied as required drinking (not hammered) or not as long as i am on my property and especially inside my own home. Granted any alcohol induced mindset is not 'altering' reality. Like being too drunk to really understand the situation. This is pretty much never for me anymore but i do drink a few beers but not to the point of total intoxication.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I DO NOT lose the right to defend myself just because I had a few beers. Someone trying to harm me whether i'm drunk or sober doesn't make any difference to me...i'm going to defend myself.

At home I don't need a CCW and would defend my family at any time. Georgia now has a stand your ground law and a BG that enters my house with the capability of harming my wife or kids would be dealt with.

Senior Moderator
    There is a difference between someone breaking into your house and someone partying at your house.

If you are home have a few and some kicks in the door I don't think a few beers will matter in court that much

If you and your buds are drinking and someone gets shot, well get ready for a stay in the Iron Bar hotel.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Legal Pitfalls

Prior to our state adopting the "Castle Doctrine" it was fairly standard that any intoxicating substance present in the blood stream would or could be cause for strong civil suit success. The standard of deadly force continum had to be incredibly air tight. This was what the state of Kentucky CHL/CCDW instuctors were supposed to say.

Personally, I have to say that since I started carrying with a permit my drinking habits have practically subsided to almost nothing. I do have a few beers every now and then, however it's alway's at home. Guess those day's cruising the bar for ladies are just about over. After all I'm officially and old guy. At least my son say's so.

I believe that your question regarding your intoxication level during a deadly force threat encounter requires some interpretation of how air tight your decision was to counter with deadly force. Your guess is as good as mine.

Is it standard to test ones blood and or urine after a justified act of self defense with deadly force ? What if you had taken an opiate related pain medication just two days priors for a sprained ankle ? the opiate residue would show in the urine, but your not under the influence. How would one prove that they are not ?
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

You always have the right to defend yourself whether you are drunk, high, ect. However, you will have to prove that your use of deadly force was justified and if you were completely trashed/stoned that might be really hard to do. So just be aware of that.

IMHO any alcohol or drugs will cause your self-defense case to become much, much harder to defend in your favor in or out of your home, stand-your-ground law or no. A "few beers" is what? To a falling down drunk that could be 12. Honest officer, I only had a few beers before I emptied my .45 into this girl scout selling cookies. Why risk it? If you are drinking your firearm should not be in a position where you can bring it into play. If you don't feel safe doing that, don't drink. By the way, alcohol and CCW are not illegal here in MN. It is however stupid everywhere.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

[QUOTE=SOLOLUCKY;459917] It is a popular opinion that alcohol and guns don't necessarily mix. & alcohol and CCW definitely is illegal.

Not so fast. Depending on what state your in it may or may not be illegal.

If I am in my home, regardless of what state of mind I am in, if I need to use a gun or any other weapon to defend myself or my family, it will be used.

I don't see anywhere in Texas law that says you must be sober to defend your life or property at your home or on any other private property your are justified in using lethal force on.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Most states have "reasonable person" wording in their self defense laws. I think most lawyers could argue that someone whom is severely (or maybe even slighty) intoxicated isn't completely "reasonable". Just some more food for thought.

[QUOTE=SOLOLUCKY;459917]Seems like guns and alcohol posts have been kinda popular so I have one. It may effect many of us.
    It is a popular opinion that alcohol and guns don't necessarily mix. & alcohol and CCW definitely is illegal.

Depends on what state you are in. Utah, for instance, does not view the issue of alcohol and CCW as a problematic, unless you are legally drunk (.008). On the other hand, my state (MO) views the use of alcohol and possession of firearms (CCW or otherwise) with zero tolerance.

Bottom line, alcohol impairs judgment and tends to loosen inhibition. The two don't mix but the legal ramifications of intermingling the two vary from state to state.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    lets be honest, even if you were hammered and decided to grab your gun do you think you actually could hit what you were aiming at? I know i couldn't. I'd make it a point not to touch my gun if i had been drinking.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I fully comprehend that I will most likely be spending some time in jail if I ever have to shoot in self defence again. If I do have to shoot I'm going to pray that there is enough evidence to clearly establish a clean shoot. Having imbibed in an adult beverage will hopefully not be of any issue. Moderation helps here too.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kavity View Post
    Most states have "reasonable person" wording in their self defense laws. I think most lawyers could argue that someone whom is severely (or maybe even slighty) intoxicated isn't completely "reasonable". Just some more food for thought.
    The term "reasonable person" is the key. One beer I may say you are still "reasonable" After two beers in that same hour you are getting less "reasonable" and a third in that same hour, well hope I am not on your jury cause you are no longer a "reasonable person". By the way I am working this on my tolerance for beer; I weight 275-300 lbs so my Blood Alcohol Level is at DWI at three to four beers if I remember correctly. By the way, I would not draw after one beer at lest not in the first thirty minute after consumption assuming I am not simply sipping it along over a two or three hours. I guess my rule would be if you could LEGAL drive then you can legal use deadly force. BUT remember it does not matter what we think unless we are on the jury or are the judge!

FknRa, When you use the term"again" in your post does that mean you have been involved in a sd shooting?
    What you think you know.... Can kill you!

FWIW-----

Intresting. I would tend to go with the rest; If I am in my home and had a couple of drinks and suddenly a sittuation arises, game on- he looses!
    However, in public CCW + Alcohol (or other medicenes that may affect in such manner) = No Carry in my book. If I stop on the way home and have more then one beer, 'my little friend' stays locked up in the truck vault. Now that being said, I have noticed that I have not been stopping for a Happy Hour after work as much, and or drinking out at night because my 2 best friends are with me, (Mr Smith and Mrs Wesson) I found that it has given me a better reason to not drink, (now I am not saying I used to or like to drink alot), but in the CCW class we promised the instructeor, If your a partying you not packing! And I feel it's a good practice to do. Now on the other hand lately I have been bouncing for a nightclub, just around the corner from a club that has had 2 shootings recently. Luckily I wont drink while working, and I park the truck within 30 feet of the door and carry OC Stream Mark VI Spray.

http://home.rr.com/cableguy
    Favorite recent Quote:
    "As long as I'm prosecutor, if someone comes into a store with a gun – and I've said it before and I'll say it again – they have forfeited their right not to be shot,"
    Hamilton County, Ohio - prosecutor; Joe Deters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links