Defensive Carry banner

Traffic Stop

3K views 23 replies 23 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I have a simple question. This is not going to be another tell or not tell thread. :deadhorse:

I keep my registration and proof of insurance in my glove compartment. I keep my driver's license and CCW permit in my back right pocket. I carry my gun at 3:00-4:00.

Consider a routine traffic stop. You have been followed for a short time. What movements do you make? The end result is to have your hands on the steering wheel (and dome light on if at night) as the LEO approaches. Do you reach over to the glove compartment and fumble for you wallet while you are slowing? All of that movement will surely draw some attention.

Do you get the glove compartment stuff and then talk to the LEO? That means you tell him you are carrying and then you must reach back (near your gun) to get your permit and license.

Do you get your permit and license, tell the LEO you are armed and then go for the glove compartment?

Do you prepare before you start driving to have all that stuff readily accessible in the unlikely event you are stopped.

See less See more
#2 ·
When I started carrying I switched and put my wallet in my left hand rear pocket. I also put my registration and insurance in a holder on the driver’s sun visor.

#3 ·
I keep my reg' and insurance in one of those sunvisor wallet dealies. My DL and permit tho are rear left pocket.

My own personal priority will be not to be seen fidgeting around at all - but have hands visible on steering wheel and dome on, window down once stationary. I would declare my CCW status, where gun is and where wallet is - and request guidance on what is to be my next step.

My stuff is as ready as I think it need be any time - to prepare more would be inconvenient and risk losing/mislaying something. I'll leave it to LE to inform me of how to proceed.

#5 ·
I keep everything in my wallet. If you have multiple drivers on a car, pay the extra few $1.00's and get duplicate registrations so everyone can have their own documentation. Thias way, you don't need to keep anything in your glove box. Plus, if someone steals your car they don't know where you live. I carry my wallet in my left rear pocket and would probably get it out and put it on the dash so it's handy when I finally stop. I haven't been stopped in 20 years so I'm a little rusty.:smile: Not exceeding the speed limit by 10 MPH on the highway and 5 MPH in the city goes a long way in not being stopped in the first place.

#6 ·
have ever thing 0ut and ready befor the officer gets to your car, i keep my registration & insurance togather in my gove box in a small folder.ccw & drivers lic in my wallet, first thing i do is hand the nice officer my drivers lic & ccw togather, and have everthing else ready. you will make him very nervous fumbling around looking for things while he's looking at your ccw.

#10 ·
Thanks for the link, SIXTO. It took me two hours to get though the thread. Very good information and some good stories.

As in one of the stories in that thread I, too, was a recipient of LEO discretion when I was younger. I thank that LEO every day. He literally saved my life.

#11 ·
I just read EVERY post in http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=20958.

Excellent thread! I just have a couple of comments/questions:
1. Many years ago in this area there was a red light bandit that stopped a college student on her way home from a night class. He took her in the woods, raped her and killed her. There are a lot of people that still remember that and most of the younger people have heard the story at least once. Is it really that unreasonable for someone to want to be in a lighted area with people?

Several years ago, my wife worked across the river in Ohio and was driving through a small WV town on her way to work about 23:30. Apparently the town police officer clocked her exceeding the speed limit. Just as she was getting on the bridge to cross the river to Ohio, the cop lit her up. It was dark and nobody was around. She knew that just across the bridge was a lighted 24 hour grocery store, so she slowed, put on her emergency flashers and waved at the officer to indicate that she was aware that she needed to stop. About half way across the bridge, the officer sped up and passed her, turned the car across both lanes, jumped out of the car and pulled his pistol and pointed it at my wife. I would appreciate LEO comments. I understand that she could have waited with her doors locked, but just as people can buy lights and put them on a vehicle, can't they also buy uniforms and badges?

2. Like I said, the city in which I live is on the WV/Ohio border, so there were residents of both states in my CCL class. Our instructor indicated that it was against the law to directly handle a weapon in the presence of a LEO. He recommended that everyone have a case (Like a fanny pack) with a zippered closure so that before the officer approached the car, you could remove your firearm and place it in the case. That way, if the officer wanted you to disarm, you could hand him the case with the gun and not violate the law. He said that there might be a few cops who would ask for your weapon and if you handed it to him then arrest you for it. I have read the gun laws for WV and OH and I found it in the Ohio code. I would just like to have the views of any LEO's on this. Is this a realistic positive practice, or is it more dangerous? Is it better just to leave the weapon where it is and if asked to remove it (when in Ohio) offer to allow the officer to remove it himself?

Sorry to be so long winded and hope these seem reasonable questions?

Thanks,

Ken

#14 ·
+3 Chris...

My registration is in glove box... My DL & CCW on money clip in Left Front Pocket.

Pistol(s) will be in one or two of three different places either on my person or mounted below the dash by my right leg.

I usually inform when LEO greets me (though not required) and let him tell me how to proceed.

#15 ·
I keep my registration and proof of insurance in my glove compartment. I keep my driver's license and CCW permit in my back right pocket. I carry my gun at 3:00-4:00.

Consider a routine traffic stop. What movements do you make?
I assume the LEO following me knows I'm armed, or at least licensed to be armed. At minimum, any LEO worth his/her salt is assuming I'm armed, legally or not. Any unexpected movement could have ugly results. So, for me it's simple: await instructions patiently, while keeping hands in view and minimizing movement until he's got visibility and control of the situation. The last thing I want is a Glock in the ear.

I keep no identifying info in the car, unattended. It's on me. So, when asked, I'll open up the wallet and get the various items requested, all in plain view.

#17 ·
I carry my drivers license and permit in a credit card sized leather ID holder.

I was pulled over recently and had plenty of time to turn off the engine, and get my ID holder out before the LEO got to the door.

I didn't attempt to get the registration out until after I gave him my license and permit and let him know I was armed.

I used to be worried about getting this stuff out before the LEO approached but don't worry about it anymore.

I see no problem with pulling over, turning off the engine (depending on the weather), turning on the dome light, letting the LEO know I have a permit and am armed and simply following the his directions.

Like Sixto said in a previous thread, we are over thinking this problem.

#18 ·
The best thing to do is exactly what the officer says to do. Pull over at a good spot for the LEO to get out of his car and roll your window down and turn off your car. Keep both hands on the wheel. When he approaches the window tell him you are armed and have a permit. Then do what he says to do, if you are not sure whet he wants then ask him to repeat it.

Bottom line do as you are told and nothing more. Don't reach for your gun or the glove box. The officer wont know what you are doing. Just sit still and follow directions.

#20 ·
I remove any personal information from the vehicle. I carry id, permit, insurance, and cards in a thin carrier in front weak side pocket. When stopped, keep hands visible, make eye contact, smile, and follow instructions.

Well, OK, maybe the smile part would be hard.

#21 ·
I don't neccessarily think that the "Traffic Stops 101" thread should be reopened for discusion.

However, I do think that the full thread should be moved to this section and stickied since this topic is one of the regular recycles.

I would also nominate Sixto's original article to be submitted into the reference and how to library.

#22 ·
I drive a 4X4 E350 panel van with a 6 inch suspension lift, so I can't be seen until someone walks right up to the door. By then, I have the paperwork in my hands. Never had a problem.

#23 ·
And this is why I love using a photographer's vest. Wallet with DL and CCW inside left top front pocket. No need for twisting and reaching behind you. My truck has a compartment on the ceiling to keep the garage door opener but since I have no garage, that is where I keep the registration and insurance card.
And since I am such a good driver, I never had a ticket for a moving violation ever.

Adendum
South Florida Definition of Good Driver: One that does 80 mph on a 55 mph zone while everybody else is flying at 90 mph. Also the one that remembers to use the turning lights at least once a day and has memorized where all the speed traps are located in a 45 mile radius and renews his/her tag 12 hours before it expires.

#24 ·
I agree with some of the above...this is way overworked!

On my part, I wouldn't act any different being stopped with or without a weapon. Common sense says you should be polite and display the actions of a polite, and low-key individual.

On the LEO's part, he's is probably going to assume that every stop could involve a weapon, and your calm attitude and correct info will make things go more smoothly for all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.