entering posted buildings

This is a discussion on entering posted buildings within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I do not have my liscense to carry yet, class is in october. But I was wondering what you folks do when you need to ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: entering posted buildings

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar

entering posted buildings

I do not have my liscense to carry yet, class is in october. But I was wondering what you folks do when you need to enter a building that is not a school or gov't building and it is posted "no weapons"?

I've become quite aware of the signs on doors of businesses since my decision to go CCW. I know that most of you folks will not do business in a place where guns are not allowed.
    Just curious how many and how often folks just walk on in without disarming.

For example, I do not plan to open carry...but I had to drop off my daughter's library book this morning. They have a legal sign banning firearms. I was in there a total of 10 minutes. Would you disarm?

The only grocery store in town is posted with improper sign banning weapons. If you only need a few items would you disarm or just walk right on by the sign?

One more question...
    Our county fairgrounds is posted as well and listed on several sites as so. Can they legally post the ground I walk on or just the buildings?

The beauty with the conceal is just that...no one needs to know.

Thanks for your time.

2. Remove Ads

Do not disarm, period. As you alluded to--concealed means concealed, both from view and knowledge.

(disclaimer: Nothing in this post should be construed as an encouragement to break or disregard federal or state law.)

I ignore the signs on private buildings.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Senior Moderator
    One problem is it is breaking the law. I suspect in public but privately owned businesses, like Hardy's, which is posted in my area, some may feel that protection of ones self and loved ones is more important.

Another problem, if by some quirk of fate, the proverbial little ol lady caught a glimse of your gun and made a scene, you're caught. Then it comes down to the price you're gonna pay. It could be anything from being asked to leave to disturbing the peace charges. You could wind up loosing your carry permit.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

If it's posted, I don't go in or disarm before hand.
    Never criticize a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes...that way, when you criticize him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I ignore the signs on private buildings.

Ditto.....

I follow the laws of the state. Texas happens to be very specific and have specific penalties for offenses of this nature.

Ohio, does specifically address this issue in thier code. I suggest that you read what the laws of Ohio are on this issue, and make yourself very familiar with all the laws of you state regarding concealed carry.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Beautiful thing about Oregon..Signs don't mean JACK... However if you violate the sign and they ask you to leave then do it or you can be charged with criminal tresspass....
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

BGR
    just take down the sign. might take years for them to realize it is gone.
    Join the NRA no excuses!

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BGR View Post
    just take down the sign. might take years for them to realize it is gone.
    Hmmmm, what sign you talkin' about officer? LOL!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Unless the sign is legal, ignore it.
    To those that paid for my freedom,
    I WILL NEVER FORGET.

As with all statements I've made and All that I will make, please check your local laws to verify accuracy. (and if i'm wrong let me know as I like to be right in the future) After all I'm just some goofball posting on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    Beautiful thing about Oregon..Signs don't mean JACK... However if you violate the sign and they ask you to leave then do it or you can be charged with criminal tresspass....
    I didn't know this. Can you give me a reference on this? Seems like a good way to get in trouble if you can't back it up...

Check your state laws. In many states, it is a crime, often a felony to violate legally posted signs. In my state a simple "No Firearms" (red cirle over gun) is posted by a business owner and shows his desire that no one carry on his property. He has the right to do that. If you choose to disobey you are violating his rights. Generally though all they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse then you are trespassing.
    Know the law. I will not violate any state or federal law (such as carrying at a government office or a school), but I will not risk my safety or that of my family to observe some administrative rule.

If someone had been carrying at Va Tech, and had stopped the bad guy early in his spree, what would the result have been? What DA would have prosecuted?

If the sign is legally posted in accordance with the law I disarm or do not go in. Now notice I said "legally posted in accordance with the law". If it is not I ignore it and many are not posted properly according to MN law. If spotted and asked to leave I take my money elsewhere and let them know I won't be back until the sign comes down.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i do not encourage anyone to break the law. if it is posted I don't do business there. if it isn't a legal posted sign..(ie not the approved state sign)...I do ignore, as all they can do is ask you to leave.

CCW license holders need to live up to a higher lifestyle and lead by example...these laws will change and gun free zones will go away...hopefully
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links