Defensive Carry banner

Deadly Weapon at Arizona State University

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  A1C Lickey 
#1 ·
1. After what happened at VT, I came to the conclusion that I would atleast like to STAND A CHANCE vs a crazy guy & his gun.
2. I am not holding my breath until I can CCW at ASU
With those things being said I'd atleast like to have a good blade, preferably fixed that I can access in a time of crisis; however, ASU has a policy of NO DEADLY WEAPONS on campus. I've looked up the defenition of Deadly Weapon, and it pretty much says "anything that can be used to kill sombodey" which could be pretty much anything. Does anyone know where I can find more specific defentions of laws reguarding knives and sizes and the Deadly Weapon clause. Thank you very much.

#2 ·
I've looked up the defenition of Deadly Weapon, and it pretty much says "anything that can be used to kill sombodey" which could be pretty much anything.
So, they are banning pencils, pens, paper, paper clips, food, water, and body parts as well?

#8 ·
I would think that it's better to be tried by 12... than carried by 6. I would just carry concealed... and keep my mouth SHUT.

After VT is when I got my CWP. Here in Montana, you can carry anything you can strap on in full view. But... I wanted... concealed. I carry everywhere... except church.

#9 ·
#13 ·
You'd probably know it, too: I don't imagine that anyone puts up a metal detector at the entrance to a building and then doesn't have at least one employee manning the thing. I mean, what would be the point?

#14 ·
SilenceDoGood, the legal definition of a "deadly weapon" in Arizona is anything that is designed for lethal use (ARS 13-3101(A)(1)). As far as the exception to misconduct involving weapons (ARS 13-3102) -- the statute you will likely be charged with if they find a "deadly weapon" on you -- is actually a pocketknife. I don't have the exact citation for it, but the definition of a pocketknife in AZ comes from case law and it is a folding knife with a blade of 4" or less.

And here's the interesting part... Don't take this on to mean legal advise, though. I didn't notice it until just now as I read the statute. BUT, as far as AZ law is concerned (at least IMHO), you're in the clear to bring a deadly weapon onto a college campus. (Don't ask me why I didn't notice this earlier, I have no idea why.) The section that defines what a school is in AZ as far as the misconduct involving weapons statute is concerned is 13-3102(L)(3) & (4):

"13-3102.L.3. "School" means a public or nonpublic kindergarten program, common school or high school.
13-3102.L.4. "School grounds" means in, or on the grounds of, a school."

The specific statute that we all know (or at least now, thought) banned us from carry on a college campus was the school section:

"13-3102.A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:...
12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds;"

Additionally, 18 USC § 921 (aka the Gun-Free School Zones Act) defines a school as "a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under state law."

Now I'm completely confused... Someone (preferably a lawyer) correct me if I'm wrong here, but given the clear definitions of what is and is not a school, both state and federally, am I not wrong that this would specifically exclude colleges in the state from it being illegal to carry a deadly weapon on campus?

Cheers.

ARS 13-3102 (misconduct involving weapons)
ARS 13-3101 (definitions)
18 USC § 921 (gun-free zones act; PDF)

#15 ·
The question I would ask myself is this: How much is your life worth? not getting kicked out of school becasue you obeyed the rules only to have yourself shot full of holes by the next nutcase 2 months before you graduate? Or getting kicked out of school because you carried, and defended yourself and your fellow students from said nutcase, saving yourself and several of your classmates? If you can answer that question without blinking, then you know what to do.

Personally, my workplace has similar "deadly weapons" bans as well. they post $8 an hour unarmed rent-a-cops at the gates for "security". Even they will admit that if they hear gunfire, they are headed in the other direction. My co-workers, aware of my competition shooting background, secretly ask me from time to time "if I still carry". Usually this occurs whenever somebody that is perceived as being on the edge is going to get canned or written up.

So don't worry about the "deadly weapons" policies, because as we have seen already, Psychos and bad guys sure don't.

#16 ·
The way I see it is that most colleges and universities being the bastions of narrow minded left thinking that they are... I would think that unless your state has a preemption law banning colleges and universities from making laws prohibiting ccw like Utah and Oregon, I think you are going to get more than just a hard time if caught carrying on campus.

The mental midgets who administrate the asylums we affectionately call "institutions of higher learning" are gonna do their best, and everything within their power to expel, or at the very least press criminal charges against anyone who is caught carrying a weapon on campus, ccw or otherwise. They will go out of their way, and do their best to jack you up and place a negative label on you that will follow you around the rest of your life, because they are just those kinds of people. They tend to relish at squashing "those who will not conform."

For those who can not think outside the box and know how to earn a living without a college education that teaches you how to earn money for someone else, I say abide by the rules or violate them at your own risk.

You should be under no illusion that if caught carrying a pistol on campus, that anything less than jeopardizing your shingle at that institution and at worst adding a criminal record to your file to follow you around the rest of your life is not going to happen. The folks who administrate these institutions are absolute card carrying anti-gun zealots and trying to think otherwise or find a loophole to sidestep their policies is foolish in the extreme.

Either conform like good little sheeple or "cowboy up", throw caution to the wind, do what you need to do to protect yourself, and accept the consequences of what will likely happen if you are caught violating their short sided policies.

JMHO YMMV...

I got my college education in a time where campus shootings were a rarity and we really didn't think about ccw on campus.

#22 ·
I would think that unless your state has a preemption law banning colleges and universities from making laws prohibiting ccw like Utah and Oregon, I think you are going to get more than just a hard time if caught carrying on campus.
We do have state preemption which, I believe, includes colleges as well. From what I've read in the preemption statute (ARS13-3108) there is nothing exempting colleges or even schools from this statute.

yea i know there is a law, because under the big sign that says "ASU is a weapons free enviornment" it says ARS 13-xxx. I will find the exact law when I go today.
The only thing that I can figure is that they've posted it as ARS13-2911, interference with or disruption of an educational institution. There's a very narrow line that they can fit you into on this. Basically speaking, the law amounts to the same as CCW'ing at a private establishment... They can ask you to leave. That's it. The nice difference is, though, that because it has to fit into that narrow category of what constitutes violation of the statute (pretty much threatening assault or property damage, refusing to leave when told, or denying/interfering with lawful use of the property by others), you can appeal it and get it overturned.

Cheers.

#19 ·
yea i know there is a law, because under the big sign that says "ASU is a weapons free enviornment" it says ARS 13-xxx. I will find the exact law when I go today. I don't think main campus has ANY metal detectors, I went there all last year and ventured into pretty much every building (except the one labled Mars Exlporation Building).

#20 ·
Ah, well if there is a law, I wouldn't, I also wouldn't be going to that school. I believe you have a Citizens Defense League in Arizona, need to maybe get them to push to allow carry on campus. PennCDL will be working on that here to hopefully make it a law similar to Utah's as soon as all the anti-gun crap coming out of Philly slows up.

#26 ·
Okay, I'm stuck in class today so I've spent odd parts of this afternoon looking up AZ statutes. And I've come to the same exact conclusion that soundwave did. Everything that I can find only applies to elementary and secondary schools. Nothing that talks about college or university campuses.

Has the DPS website changed? I can't seem to find the list of prohibited places on there anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.