Deadly Weapon at Arizona State University

This is a discussion on Deadly Weapon at Arizona State University within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1. After what happened at VT, I came to the conclusion that I would atleast like to STAND A CHANCE vs a crazy guy & ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly Weapon at Arizona State University

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Deadly Weapon at Arizona State University

1. After what happened at VT, I came to the conclusion that I would atleast like to STAND A CHANCE vs a crazy guy & his gun.
    2. I am not holding my breath until I can CCW at ASU
    With those things being said I'd atleast like to have a good blade, preferably fixed that I can access in a time of crisis; however, ASU has a policy of NO DEADLY WEAPONS on campus. I've looked up the defenition of Deadly Weapon, and it pretty much says "anything that can be used to kill sombodey" which could be pretty much anything. Does anyone know where I can find more specific defentions of laws reguarding knives and sizes and the Deadly Weapon clause. Thank you very much.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    I've looked up the defenition of Deadly Weapon, and it pretty much says "anything that can be used to kill sombodey" which could be pretty much anything.
    So, they are banning pencils, pens, paper, paper clips, food, water, and body parts as well?
    "When a man attempts to deal with me by force, I answer himóby force.
    "... No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had the right to choose: his own." -John Galt, Atlas Shrugged

Knowing Tempe, they would probably try.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I believe most folding knives with a less than 3 inch blade are not considered "deadly weapons". My carry knife is a Spiderco Delica Wave (around $40 I think).

I'm not sure if your state has laws prohibiting carrying on a college campus. But if not I'd say what's worth more, your life or your degree? In this case Concealed means Concealed.
    SA XD-45 | Bersa Thunder 380 | Mossberg 935 Mag 12ga | WASR-10 - AK-47
    NRA | GoA | CLUB 1852 | PAFOA

Pennsylvania Citizens Defense League

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    I'm not sure if your state has laws prohibiting carrying on a college campus. But if not I'd say what's worth more, your life or your degree? In this case Concealed means Concealed.
    Point certainly made but, if and when they catch you with it, it's a felony and there goes your CCW for the rest of your life.

Scandium J frame in a cargo pocket.. no one needs to know.

They don't have metal detectors, do they?

I would think that it's better to be tried by 12... than carried by 6. I would just carry concealed... and keep my mouth SHUT.

After VT is when I got my CWP. Here in Montana, you can carry anything you can strap on in full view. But... I wanted... concealed. I carry everywhere... except church.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youthfulness and skill.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by merk_fmr8511 View Post
    I carry everywhere... except church.
    Didn't we just discuss a random shooting at a church in Missouri?
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I agree.. I don't understand the logic of carrying everywhere but church. As if whatever god you believe in would be offended that you don't care too much for dying at the hands of a madman in his house

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
    Scandium J frame in a cargo pocket.. no one needs to know.

They don't have metal detectors, do they?
    Actually if I recall correctlly, ASU Main does have metal detectors in some buildings.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Actually if I recall correctlly, ASU Main does have metal detectors in some buildings.
    What buildings would those be? I went to school there for six years and never ran into a metal detector on campus.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    You'd probably know it, too: I don't imagine that anyone puts up a metal detector at the entrance to a building and then doesn't have at least one employee manning the thing. I mean, what would be the point?

SilenceDoGood, the legal definition of a "deadly weapon" in Arizona is anything that is designed for lethal use (ARS 13-3101(A)(1)). As far as the exception to misconduct involving weapons (ARS 13-3102) -- the statute you will likely be charged with if they find a "deadly weapon" on you -- is actually a pocketknife. I don't have the exact citation for it, but the definition of a pocketknife in AZ comes from case law and it is a folding knife with a blade of 4" or less.

And here's the interesting part... Don't take this on to mean legal advise, though. I didn't notice it until just now as I read the statute. BUT, as far as AZ law is concerned (at least IMHO), you're in the clear to bring a deadly weapon onto a college campus. (Don't ask me why I didn't notice this earlier, I have no idea why.) The section that defines what a school is in AZ as far as the misconduct involving weapons statute is concerned is 13-3102(L)(3) & (4):

"13-3102.L.3. "School" means a public or nonpublic kindergarten program, common school or high school.
    13-3102.L.4. "School grounds" means in, or on the grounds of, a school."

The specific statute that we all know (or at least now, thought) banned us from carry on a college campus was the school section:

"13-3102.A. A person commits misconduct involving weapons by knowingly:...
    12. Possessing a deadly weapon on school grounds;"

Additionally, 18 USC § 921 (aka the Gun-Free School Zones Act) defines a school as "a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under state law."

Now I'm completely confused... Someone (preferably a lawyer) correct me if I'm wrong here, but given the clear definitions of what is and is not a school, both state and federally, am I not wrong that this would specifically exclude colleges in the state from it being illegal to carry a deadly weapon on campus?

Cheers.

ARS 13-3102 (misconduct involving weapons)
    ARS 13-3101 (definitions)
    18 USC § 921 (gun-free zones act; PDF)
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

The question I would ask myself is this: How much is your life worth? not getting kicked out of school becasue you obeyed the rules only to have yourself shot full of holes by the next nutcase 2 months before you graduate? Or getting kicked out of school because you carried, and defended yourself and your fellow students from said nutcase, saving yourself and several of your classmates? If you can answer that question without blinking, then you know what to do.

Personally, my workplace has similar "deadly weapons" bans as well. they post $8 an hour unarmed rent-a-cops at the gates for "security". Even they will admit that if they hear gunfire, they are headed in the other direction. My co-workers, aware of my competition shooting background, secretly ask me from time to time "if I still carry". Usually this occurs whenever somebody that is perceived as being on the edge is going to get canned or written up.

So don't worry about the "deadly weapons" policies, because as we have seen already, Psychos and bad guys sure don't.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links