THE CCW'ers "STEROTYPE" ?? - Page 2

THE CCW'ers "STEROTYPE" ??

This is a discussion on THE CCW'ers "STEROTYPE" ?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Mister, I ain't got a bigoted bone in my body--you don't drop that ax, I'll blast you to hell as quick as I would a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What John Wayne has to say about the issue

"Mister, I ain't got a bigoted bone in my body--you don't drop that ax, I'll blast you to hell as quick as I would a white man."

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    There's an odd twist that must be considered here. As I've stated before, the largest demographic of white people in prison are bikers. But also consider that 3/4's of that prison population is minority.

In a left-handed sort of way, many minority mothers know that the odds dictate their sons will be arrested when growing up. A few years ago I watched a TV program about +/-35 year old black women who were having trouble finding suitable black husbands. The biggest factor was that men their age were either in prison or dead.

That's the situation now. What is the projected outcome if a majority of American citizens are armed and retaliate against crime? All of a sudden a colored rag on their son isn't a simple designation of a gang affiliation, it's a target. And the tide is already turning, as history always plays out.

The Clantons ruled, and then the West was won. Tamanny Hall ruled, and then crumbled. The Mafia was feared, and then jailed. And then the Bloods and the Cripps applied their trade. Now you cannot even go to a music awards show without one coast killing another.

I don't think it's racist. I see scores of one confused mother after another watching their sons fall like duck pins. It will be a messy, highly debated era in history. Call it what you will, but my mother has sons, as well.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by RidemCowboy
    "Mister, I ain't got a bigoted bone in my body--you don't drop that ax, I'll blast you to hell as quick as I would a white man."
    That's a good one and applies very well to my way of thinking. Want to blame someone for the ills that minorities suffer? Blame their "leadership", who's job it is to garner support and special treatment of their particular racial group....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

The idea of people being able to shoot first, and claim threat later, is a scary one. Unfortunately, the people who are likely to do this under the color of law, are also the ones who were likely to do this, illegally. And this is how the expansion of the Castle Doctrine has been characterized by the anti-gunners - as a means for people to shoot first and ask questions later. There are people out there who do that. They are not usually the kind of person who files for and receives a CCW permit. Unfortunately, because the law applies to CCW's, anytime a thug decides to shoot someone under color of the new law because they felt dissed, the CCW permit holders will be associated with the stink.

I think the fear being expressed is that people of color who do not pose a threat will be shot without true cause, that black men will be shot because the implication is that whites fear black men (in itself an incredibly racist stereotype) and will shoot first and claim threat later.

Time will prove that CCW's are not the ones to fear, but I worry that the press is going to do its best to attach guilt by association in Florida.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Talking equal opportunity also includes..

Quote Originally Posted by craig45
    i'm not racist or sexist. if a person or persons are trying to harm me or mine, i don't care what race/sex they are. equal opportunity defense is spoken here.
    While we're at it, we need to revise the definitions of JUVENILE DELINQUENCY so as to preclude violent offenses from being automatically plea bargained away until the punk hits 18. I feel if you're old enough to commit a crime of violence, and old enough to use a gun to commit that crime then you're old enough to GET SHOT by your intended victim! Folks who do this need to be praised rather than vilified by society, assuming of course the shoot is deemed justifiable. But I am SO SICK of hearing about the perpetrator being a poor misunderstood child a victim of the streets...yada yada yada...
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357

I think the fear being expressed is that people of color who do not pose a threat will be shot without true cause, that black men will be shot because the implication is that whites fear black men (in itself an incredibly racist stereotype) and will shoot first and claim threat later.

Time will prove that CCW's are not the ones to fear, but I worry that the press is going to do its best to attach guilt by association in Florida.
    Hey Tom, not a racist sterotype at all, ever have to service accounts in a black area and have very large black men pull out in front you with their caddy and just dare you to say anything. Naw there is justification, they are large, ugly and will hurt you.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    Hey Tom, not a racist sterotype at all, ever have to service accounts in a black area and have very large black men pull out in front you with their caddy and just dare you to say anything. Naw there is justification, they are large, ugly and will hurt you.
    - Tom

One fact seems to be missed. One of the biggest victims of crime is the minority areas. It seems to be they will benefit more than anyone from the law.

The person carrying concealed has it pounded into him stay away from trouble, don't get involved, avoid getting into situations. I don't think the ccw guy is not going to change and become careless, there is to much to loose.
    For Tom357-sorry Tom in my clumsy way I was trying to say there are times places and situations where whites fear black men. Hell even in the bad places the blacks fear their own.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Wink Urban Myths

Quote Originally Posted by country85
    One fact seems to be missed. One of the biggest victims of crime is the minority areas. It seems to be they will benefit more than anyone from the law.
    The fact of the matter is (Charles Bronson and DEATH WISH notwithstanding) the majority of crime is black on black and white on white. However, while blacks comprise just about 12% of the total American population they also comprise about 70% of the total prison population. That doesn't mean more blacks are criminals, since the majority of prison inmates are repeat offenders....and of course there is usually a drug dynamic that plays into the personal schema of these offenders.

Evidence to the contrary usually rears it's head in extreme cases of predatory behavior taken upon a target of opportunity. Usually, an analysis of the perp's record will show a majority of victims in his own neighborhood.

Having said that let's briefly examine another of the gun control idiots favorite mottos: Let's BAN cheap small handguns! Why? Well obviously it must be because it's unfair that poor people have the means to protect themselves from predators, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    ...in my clumsy way I was trying to say there are times places and situations where whites fear black men. Hell even in the bad places the blacks fear their own.
    I was hoping you'd say something like that...perhaps it would be more accurate to say that there are times and places where men fear other men? Yes, as a volunteer EMT in the inner city, I responded to many insular neighborhoods dominated by various ethnic groups. A ghetto is a ghetto, regardless of who lives there. And I've been afraid. I'm not ashamed to admit it. But I've been afraid of men for who they were and what they were doing, not due to the color of their skin.

The statement I was referring to was that the expansion of the Castle Doctrine will lead to "open war on black males...It's almost a way to eliminate people...Black men will be under the ground more than ever." I expect people to discriminate against CCW's, so the "wild wild west" protests don't surprise me. But the way this is being turned into an issue of racism, and what that says about the state of race relations in this country... Pandering to this fear angers me. To realize that there are many people who actually believe this and feel this way is disheartening. There will always be Al Sharptons and Dorothy Tillmans to feed the fires of hatred.
    - Tom

I sometimes wonder if I'm alone in not giving 2 craps about a person's ethnicity.

I simply have better things to worry about.

When I can fill out a form and not have to check "White", that's when I'll be living in a bigotry free society.

I personally think all these groups that try to advance one color of people are part of the problem. If I'm a Mexican American and I join some Hispanic centered group, I'm embracing my cultural heritage. But if I'm White and I join some Anglo centered group, I'm a bigot.

I never wished so hard to be not white as I did when I was applying for college financial aid. As a matter of fact my Scotch forefathers were not allowed to vote in a lot of places.

The only comfort I have is that as a white male, I'm finally becoming the minority in this country. Once that reality sets in, the mentality of giving minorities special treatment will sunset and I can't wait for one. I hate any law that makes one group of people inherently more privileged than another, such as most gun control laws.

Talking And Another

Quote Originally Posted by Brian45
    +1.

+3 (also counting the wife here)

+1 for Tom357 and Euclidian

I am new to the forum and felt the need to leave my $.02.
    Here's a little background info on me... I am 21 years old and from Birmingham, AL. I graduated from Auburn University in a little over 3 years and work full time in sales. I am adamently progun and just got my carry permit.

The so called "black leadership" doesn't oppose the law because it gives one the right to defend oneself and property, but because of the threat of unwarranted violence against black males. What I'm basically trying to say is they aren't worried about people being shot while trying to break into someone's house or car, but that people will be shot for no reason other than being black. This may be because the shooter "feared for their safety" (for no real reason other than they saw a black male walking towards them) or some deep-seeded racism.

I fully understand the need for some concern though most of you do not. You see, I have been a black male for all 21 years of my life and don't see that changing. Though it's a shame, racism and racial profiling do still exist. Some of the responses on this forum show that. For instance saying that the black community is worried because a big part of their income will be eliminitated with the new FL law is just plain bigotry. People of all races rob and break into homes. The CHL holders that I respected used to believe that the only time that is was necessary to use deadly force was when they were in a life or death situation. I respected these individuals because they had the ability to stay level headed and truly assess their situations. Now, there is full legal protection for those that shoot (take a human life) first and ask questions later.

At times, I'm very inspired by the testimonies of individuals on this board, and at others, I'm disgusted. The funny thing is that I'm not at all surprised by some of my fellow posters responses. No wonder some people think that chl holders are all bigots and racists (the same way that some believe that all black men are uneducated good-for-nothings), it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch...right?
    Last edited by Bama1911; June 6th, 2006 at 02:47 AM.

Assistant Administrator
    Bama - let me say Welcome to you.

Sadly in life - much ''assessment'' - or even judgement if you will, gets based on the bad apple minorities - bit like the way cops sometimes get bashed because of the not-so-good few.

We do have to be careful not to paint with too broad of a brush and not condemn folks for the sins of the relative few. There will always be bigotry and distrust tho and that is a sad fact - but I do feel that overall we in the CCW community are pretty much on the same page, regardless of our origins.

Sometimes people do not express themselves with the subtlety they should but I hope you will ''stay the course'' and defend your corner. We do as best we can try here on CC tho keep things pretty much away from racial matters.

Congrat's on the permit - carry with pride and responsibility.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links