TN Off-limits

TN Off-limits

This is a discussion on TN Off-limits within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm planning a road trip to the Memphis Zoo. I'd like to know what the off-limits places are for TN. I followed the link from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TN Off-limits

TN Off-limits

I'm planning a road trip to the Memphis Zoo.

I'd like to know what the off-limits places are for TN. I followed the link from www.handgunlaw.us to the Tennessee Department of Public Safety, but it doesn't mention off-limits areas.

I found the TN laws 39-17-1350 to 39-17-1360, but it only states that the Department of Safety is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations. The DoS doesn't seem to list those anywhere.

maybe TNMike will chime in. He is from Tenn.

sent you a pm...
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Hey, welcome to Memphis. We have the 2nd highest Violent crime rate, per capita, in the whole USA! Hooray for us!

Anyway, off limits places are of course, any establishment that sells alcohol for on site consumption (bars or restaurants with liquor license) city or state or Federal parks, Hospitals for some reason. I believe that the Memphis Zoo is considered a City park and as such carry is not permitted. However, it is not posted at all. We have a family membership and go quite often and there are no signs at all prohibiting carry. I have not asked any employee about it either.

I am not telling you to carry there in any way. Just stating the facts.

As far as Zoos go, it is a very good Zoo. We enjoy it very much. And please, PM me and let me know when you will be in town. Maybe we can get together and have a cup of coffee.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

TN Mike Covered the main high points as to where not to carry. I would just like to add that Memphis has a high crime rate. Be aware of your surroundings and use good judgement where ever you go . Go armed everywhere where allowed , and you will be fine. Just avoid looking like a potential victimand you will be fine.
    Unfortunately,...Birmingham , Alabama has the same problem (my home town.)
    Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage.

HKR
    +1 on the Memphis Zoo. Went for the first time last year. +2 For watching your back in Memphis. Everytime we travel through there it seems to be in worse shape. Ditto on Birmingham on both subjects. Love both zoos, though. Both better than Atlanta's.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Hey, welcome to Memphis. We have the 2nd highest Violent crime rate, per capita, in the whole USA! Hooray for us!

Anyway, off limits places are of course, any establishment that sells alcohol for on site consumption (bars or restaurants with liquor license) city or state or Federal parks, Hospitals for some reason. I believe that the Memphis Zoo is considered a City park and as such carry is not permitted. However, it is not posted at all. We have a family membership and go quite often and there are no signs at all prohibiting carry. I have not asked any employee about it either.

As far as Zoos go, it is a very good Zoo. We enjoy it very much. And please, PM me and let me know when you will be in town. Maybe we can get together and have a cup of coffee.
    hey, mike.

i grew up in midtown. the zoo is part of overton park.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post

Been there , done that.

Also TN has the "Safe Harbor Law" that basically says if you carry where you should not and use your weapon in self defense, you will not be charged with illegal carry.

Also Welcome to Memphis. I grew up in Memphis, but now I live 3 miles across Fayette county line...
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankdriver View Post
    Also TN has the "Safe Harbor Law" that basically says if you carry where you should not and use your weapon in self defense, you will not be charged with illegal carry.
    Do you have a source for that? I know a good bit about TN gun laws and have never seen anything referencing such a thing. I am not doubting you, I just like to see a credible reference when I read something like that.

Are you refering to the Memphis felon who shot home invaders, and subsqeuntly wasn't charged by the DA for illegal firearm posession (at the DA's discretion)?

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
    Do you have a source for that? I know a good bit about TN gun laws and have never seen anything referencing such a thing. I am not doubting you, I just like to see a credible reference when I read something like that.

Are you refering to the Memphis felon who shot home invaders, and subsqeuntly wasn't charged by the DA for illegal firearm posession (at the DA's discretion)?

Thanks a lot.
    Yes, Posted it before......

TN's law is written with a "Safe Harbor" clause. If you carry where you should not, and you have to use your weapon, they will not go back and charge you with illegal carry.

39-17-1322. Defenses. —

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

[Acts 1994, ch. 943, § 1.]

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

Well that's awesome. Thanks.

I live just out of St Louis, ranked the #1 most dangerous city in the US. I feel more uneasy in Memphis than I do in STL. As for the Zoo, it's better than the STL Zoo. I grew up going there at least once a month when I was a kid. Enjoy.

Chad
    A violent crime happens every 23.1 seconds..... something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by ReefBlueCoupe View Post
    Well that's awesome. Thanks.
    No problem, I understand completely......

You mean you do not believe everything you read on the internet?

No I don't! AND I went so far as to look up the code on LexisNexis

:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links