CA CCW rules and regs??

This is a discussion on CA CCW rules and regs?? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im sure its probably been posted here before but Im new and still trying to find my way around the board. As I said in ...

Thread: CA CCW rules and regs??

Question CA CCW rules and regs??

Im sure its probably been posted here before but Im new and still trying to find my way around the board. As I said in the new-guy section, Im returning to California in November after spending two years stationed in Okinawa, Japan. Im a Marine so I was wondering if that would make ANY difference in the possibility getting a CCW permit when I get home. Also, Stanislaus county is my home but I will be stationed in San Diego, so will I need a seperate permit for each county or will one cover me for the whole state??

Thanks for any advice you may give. :)

Evan
    Semper FI

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    One covers the whole state, and some counties are more lenient than others. However, they ALL have to follow state law which in CA means that you have to demonstrate a need to carry a gun.

Check out: www.handgunlaw.us
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Carried in Calif. for 10yrs, myself. Check out the California CCW forum site. Lots of good information about which counties are stingy and which liberally spread the "love" of CHL's. According to that forum site, both are pathetic in the rate of issueance, but Stanislaus County much less so. If that's your home, I'd check with the sheriff there and see what he thinks. Seems to me you're a vet and perfectly acceptable ... assuming, of course, you have good "reason" to be armed. It's very much a "may" issue state. Pucker up.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

California CCW site has seen a drop off in traffic lately, give http://www.calccw.com/Forums/ a shot.

I grew up in CA and unless you are carrying large amounts of cash or diamonds or are related to the Sheriff forget it. Just wanting to protect your family from all the scumbags and illegals that live there isn't enough of a reason to be issued a permit. I wish you all the best, but I for one am darn happy I left that state 11 years ago!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    Just wanting to protect your family from all the scumbags and illegals that live there isn't enough of a reason to be issued a permit.
    Only in the backward areas of the state. Plenty of counties have sheriffs who are rational minded about concealed carry. Though, it depends on the sheriff, of course.

In my case, I could document a half dozen instances of criminal attack and other crimes against me, so I'm sure that helped. As did living in one of the reasonable rural counties, insofar as CHL issuance is concerned.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Carry law

The laws can be changed by the voters. Liberal Minnesota is a great example. We have must issue law and can carry open or concealed.

A lot of the rural counties up north hand'm out like candy on Holloween night. I moved from Stanislaus Co. a couple of years back into southern San Juaquin Co. and neither one is a good place if you want a ccw.

Useful map of CA by county

This map is found at:

California Concealed Carry.com

Hmmm.... San Diego and Stnislaus are both May Issue... but could I go next door to, say, Tuolumne or Mariposa and get one there, or do I have to be a resident???

Thank you guys for offoring so much helpful info. Now if only I can find a legit reason besides illegal immigrants, a high crime rate, and an obsessed exgirlfriend, since none seem to be good enough. :p (Can I claim to have been raped?? I cant see anybody wanting me THAT badly but you never know... ;) )

Evan
    Semper FI

I don't know how San Bernardino is a shall issue county. It is one of the largest counties in the country, but me and a few of my friends tried to get a permit and we were told unless we were carrying large amounts of cash, diamonds or other items that a criminal would target they saw no reason for the average citizen to have a CCW permit. Therefore my statement above. Why should you have to carry diamonds for a living in order to protect your family! I had a job where I hired and fired a lot of people, I have had my tires slashed, been jumped going to my truck, had death threats on me and my family, but according to the authorities I didn't deserve to protect myself. I did anyway and as soon as I could I moved to a gun friendly part of the country. It was easier for me to get my CCW permit here in NC than it was to get my hunting license in CA!! It has been 11 years since I have left, maybe somethings have changed since then, for the good citizens of CA I sure hope they have. FYI I lived in Lake Arrowhead, Fontana, and Santa Clarita - when it was still a desert!!
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by USMCEvan View Post
    Hmmm.... San Diego and Stnislaus are both May Issue...
    So far as I know, the state concealed-carry laws don't vary by county. All counties in California follow the same rules, including: issue at the discretion of the sheriff in the county where you reside. Which is why it's so painfully variable.

Rationale I used (in Calif.): to comply with the law ... plus a half dozen little incidents involving violence against me the preceding 6-7 yrs. I'm sure saying "just because" would have done it, given the open-minded nature of the sheriff where I lived.

Can I claim to have been raped??
    You can lay claim to a number of things and, given the reality of non-reporting, it's reasonably likely to be accepted as fact. Up to you, if that's the path you take.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links