All my questions finally answered.

This is a discussion on All my questions finally answered. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My roomate is a gun nut just like me, and we were having a conversation about the legality of carrying at the age of 18 ...

Thread: All my questions finally answered.

My roomate is a gun nut just like me, and we were having a conversation about the legality of carrying at the age of 18 in our state, he swore up and down that it was 21 and he just couldnt wait till he hit 21. This made me a bit nervous about how I had been carrying at age 19 for the last couple months.

Well, one of our suitemates overheard the conversation, (And instead of flipping out and calling the cops over a conversation about guns, like it seems far too many people would do) he said his dad was the chief of police in a town in Vermont and he would call him and ask him any questions we had. One thing I found funny is that the suitemate swore you needed a permit to carry concealed in Vermont and when he called his dad, he was proven wrong.

He eventually asked his dad my biggest questions which was if you could carry at age 18, and his dad said you could carry concealed at 16 if you wanted too, since Vermont has no restrictions on concealed carry and that age 16 was the age you could legally be in possession of a handgun.

I am so happy now. His dad is coming down on Tuesday and i'm going to ask him all sorts of questions. Anyone have any good ones I can ask him concerning concealed carry?
    (Maybe about when lethal force is justified.)

Try educating yourself with a bit more leg work (aka do your own research) before hitting up the Chief with a volley of questions...you might learn something along the way that you wouldn't have by just asking the Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigsauer View Post
    Try educating yourself with a bit more leg work (aka do your own research) before hitting up the Chief with a volley of questions...you might learn something along the way that you wouldn't have by just asking the Chief.
    Well see this is why I am so happy to have this oportunity. I have been doing my own research for the past few months, and I have gathered a large ammount of knowledge, but we all know the Internet is not always the most reliable source. Im just glad to finally be able to clarify anything I might have read with a reliable source.

1943 - 2009
    Just remember that not very many Chiefs of Police are lawyers.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I didnt mean search the internet. Go to the local library and actually crack open your state's law books. Look up recent lawsuits pertaining to justifiable use of force and cases where the outcome did NOT go in favor of the shooter who was "defending" themselves as claimed. There is a plethora of case law out there.

Not to be too down on cops but, a lot of the time some of the worst info you will get regarding the law, especially on ccw law, is by asking a police officer. And more times than not, the Chief knows less about it than the street cops.

I'd go ask an attorney who specializes in ccw matters or better yet, as SigSauer suggests, actually read the law books of your state.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

We regularly see Virginia citizens being harassed for legal carry, mostly due to LEO's not being familiar with the state's gunlaws, especially those that have changed in the last 4-5 years.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    And more times than not, the Chief knows less about it than the street cops.
    I will partially disagree on that. Chiefs of police/Sherrifs are often involved on local and state government levels in helping amend laws and putting new laws into effect. They are often times asked for their testimony to government bodies in order to get the viewpoint of law enforcement. Also Chiefs and Sherrifs are responsible for setting the tone of their entire department, and they also have a legal responsibility (through case law) that carries upwards from the actions of their lowest ranked officers. So more often, I have found that Chiefs and Sherrifs are often better versed in the law then some of their officers because they need to be and so often they are immersed in it because of their job.

Now all that being said, the OP needs to go and open up his state's lawbooks and read through it. Even go to the state's website and look up the state maintained records on that state's laws. You will be better off and farther ahead than doing your research through third party websites and off hand information. I have found errors before with even some of the best third party websites like handgunlaws.com. Your best bet is to go straight to the source for the area you live in.

Good luck on your upcoming meeting. That sound like it will be good and fun experience for you.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Are you currently a student? , if so you probably know that there are
    Always "unanswered questions"

Study up on the VT. gun laws...
    http://www.atg.state.vt.us/display.php?smod=21

And even though VT. requires no permit or training, you should consider
    getting some on your own.

Hunter Safety if you haven't taken it...
    http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/edu_hunter.cfm

And of course "real" firearms training......
    http://www.vttac.com/classes.asp

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Links