Printing of a handgun VIRGINIA

Printing of a handgun VIRGINIA

This is a discussion on Printing of a handgun VIRGINIA within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, and I can't find the post, someone posted something in regards to printing when carrying a concealed weapon. I wrote to my local State ...

Thread: Printing of a handgun VIRGINIA

Post Printing of a handgun VIRGINIA

Recently, and I can't find the post, someone posted something in regards to printing when carrying a concealed weapon. I wrote to my local State Police after reviewing all the rules listed on their CCW section once again.

This is Virginia only, I have no idea what the other States or even States with reciprocity allow.

Here is the reply I received after describing printing as the outline of your concealed weapon showing through clothing. Enough to notice that it is a handgun. I even asked "what if the grips were sticking out?" After sitting in the truck they have a tendency to ride up a but and get caught in my shirts.

Anyway, here it is.

"The “printing” of a handgun, as you describe, is not addressed in the Code of Virginia.

Donna K. Tate, Manager

Firearms Transaction Center

Virginia Department of State Police

Tel: (804) 674-2210

Fax: (804) 674-2791

Donna.Tate@vsp.virginia.gov"

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Virginia doesn't have any law regarding the printing or the accidental showing of a firearm. Thats why I'm glad I live here and not in a state that cares. I guess thats why I open carry and wear clothes that print some times and have never been stoped.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It basically comes down to "form." Do you want/need to be totally concealed?

Are you a "print" snob?

Go with what you are comfortable with.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Open Carry

Open carry is legal in my county as well but I never do unless I'm hunting in the woods. I would only suggest that if you have a CCW permit through VA that you keep it concealed. Reason? You are better off that know one except those you are protecting or with know that you are armed. You could be overpowered and loose your weapon and even worse your life.

I wouldn't have bothered to reply but I saw a father taking his two small children into a Wal-Mart this weekend with a Glock 21 strapped on a loose pocket of his shorts. He had both hands on his cart and as I passed him (with my P220 in my IWB) I thought how easy it would be to strip that weapon from him.

Just a thought....

Open carry is fully legal in the entire state of Va. Therefore there is no need for them to have a law about printing of a firearm. In fact if you go into an establishment that serves alcohol in the state of Va. you are required by law to "open carry" or go unarmed........................................... ..............DF1

NOT all counties/cities in VA!

Quote Originally Posted by DeerForce1 View Post
    Open carry is fully legal in the entire state of Va. Therefore there is no need for them to have a law about printing of a firearm. In fact if you go into an establishment that serves alcohol in the state of Va. you are required by law to "open carry" or go unarmed........................................... ..............DF1
    Hopefully you will come back and read this before you get jumped and cuffed. Open carry IS NOT fully legal in the entire state of VA. Please refer to the VSP website and read the quote below.

Virginia does not require firearm registration nor is it necessary to obtain a permit before carrying a firearm or other such weapon openly about the person except where prohibited by statute.

STATUTE being the keyword here.

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

FYI - Knowledge is power

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Hopefully you will come back and read this before you get jumped and cuffed. Open carry IS NOT fully legal in the entire state of VA. Please refer to the VSP website and read the quote below.

Virginia does not require firearm registration nor is it necessary to obtain a permit before carrying a firearm or other such weapon openly about the person except where prohibited by statute.

FYI - Knowledge is power
    You mention open carry is legal "in your county". Counties CANNOT set the rules about any type of carry (open or concealed). The Commonwealth of Virginia enacted complete pre-emption in this area.

So carrying a firearm (open or concealed with permit) is legal in ALL Virginia Counties.

You just have to be aware of the State regulations about places to avoid, i.e. courthouses, schools, etc.
    Last edited by PaulG; August 27th, 2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Error in factgs
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member
    OPEN CARRY IS LEGAL in Va in ALL the same places as concealed carry is legal. (with the one exception of where CONCEALED carry is illegal in places serving booze!)

Virginia passed 'Preemption' laws a couple of years back. Preemption makes ALL localities abide by state law, NOT THEIR OWN! That way, carry in one locality is just the same as other localities in the state.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Also, the nice thing about Virginia rules is that since open carry is legal, you won't be breaking the law if you accidently print.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

nanner

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    You mention open carry is legal "in your county". Counties CANNOT set the rules about any type of carry (open or concealed). The Commonwealth of Virginia enacted complete pre-emption in this area.

So carrying a firearm (open or concealed with permit) is legal in ALL Virginia Counties.

You just have to be aware of the State regulations about places to avoid, i.e. courthouses, schools, etc.
    I am fully aware of preemption that's why I stated, "STATUTE being the keyword here."

Regardless of preemption you will occasionally run into a LEO that thinks he or she is the law. Judge Dredd syndrome.

Just FYI

FYI - Knowledge is power

Yes you are correct. I was more refering to the statement "open carry is legal in my county to". I was also trying to provide some insight as to why printing "is not addressed in the code of Va".

I seriously doubt that i will be "jumped & cuffed" due to my lack of knowledge of the law. Possibly due to a lack of knowledge on the part of the leo but not mine.

I sometimes have a tendency to shorten my answers to avoid extra typing............................................ ...........DF1

Well then

We'll call this one closed. Printing can only be an issue if -

- You run into Roscoe P. Coltrain in Henrico County fresh out of the academy and he spots your weapon. This is the guy that will detain you.

- You're printing and you don't have a CCW permit!

I sometimes have a habit of speed reading dyslexically and replying off topic.

We'll call this one closed. Printing can only be an issue if -

- You run into Roscoe P. Coltrain in Henrico County fresh out of the academy and he spots your weapon. This is the guy that will detain you.
    ...and then you contact your atty and the VCDL, sue for damages because unless he has been living under a rock for the last couple of years, even the press has realized open carry without a permit is perfectly legal...

You're printing and you don't have a CCW permit!
    ...and then you are promptly and properly arrested for carrying a concealed weapon without a permit.

Assistant Administrator
    Let's please not let this become open vs concealed which it so easily can be and which we wish to avoid.

Printing? fine ........ can someone actually ID the gun, as a gun - and if so then IMO you need to have a CCW because it implies concealed but poorly, otherwise only choice it'd seem is open. Circumstantial choice plus of course alcohol places.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links