Defensive Carry banner

The Hypocrisy of Sylvester Stallone

6K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  ccw9mm 
#1 ·
http://blog.riflegear.com/articles/the-hypocrisy-of-sylvester-stallone.aspx

It seems Rambo has a CCW:
In early June of 2007, Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca was making headlines in the news because of his role in the sensational "Paris Hilton goes to jail" story that was all over the media. This incident started a flurry of allegations that Sheriff Baca gave special and preferential treatment to the stars and celebrities of Los Angeles County. In one article that was published on the web, it was alleged that Sheriff Baca had issued concealed carry weapons permits (CCW) to Hollywood stars such as Sylvester Stallone and Ben Affleck.

The rumor that Sylvester Stallone was issued a CCW permit struck my interest as I had recently been made aware that he had attended a Los Angeles event sponsored by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence. The "Brady Bunch", as they are commonly referred to by gun-rights advocates, are one of the most well known organizations that are lobbying to take away our rights as lawful gun owners. I was also learning that Stallone had been quoted in the past saying some very anti-gun statements, even advocating door to door gun confiscations! I found all of this terribly hypocritical.
Some of Rambo's anti-gun comments:
"Look at what's happening in America's inner-cities. If our hopeless legal system continues going the same liberal direction, there will be anarchy before long. We need one person in an influential position to stand up and tell the truth about gun control lobbies, the death penalty and that our criminal justice system basically stinks."
Sylvester Stallone, interview in Cinefantastique magazine, June 1995

"until America, door to door, takes every handgun, this is what you're gonna have... It really is pathetic... We're livin' in the Dark Ages over there."
Sylvester Stallone, March 28, 1998

"I know we use guns in films," but insisted the time has come "to be a little more accountable and realize that this is an escalating problem that’s eventually going to lead to, I think, urban warfare."
Sylvester Stallone on Access Hollywood, June 8, 1998

"It [2nd Amendment] has to be stopped, and someone really has to go on the line, a certain dauntless political figure, and say, ‘It’s ending, it’s over, all bets are off. It’s not 200 years ago, we don’t need this anymore, and the rest of the world doesn’t have it. Why should we?"
Sylvester Stallone on Access Hollywood, June 8, 1998

#2 ·
Normally I'd say who gives a care about a Hollyweird person as they are n't known for being smart muchless connected to reality outside of their own gated fences.
But, in this case with Sylvester he actually is a smart man in general as based on his record.

Oddly though his statements and assertions above conflict each other (statement 1), are ignorant of historical modern day fact (statement 2), hypocritical (statement 3), and is both un-American as well as short sighted (statement 4).

- Janq

#3 ·
I love how in one breath he can hammer the liberals for their court system, and praise them for advocating gun control.

Just goes to show that a friend can be an enemy as well.

#25 ·
I love how in one breath he can hammer the liberals for their court system, and praise them for advocating gun control.
That one struck me as well.

The funny thing is trying to read those quotes and "hear" Stallone's dumb lummox voice in my head, as he says those big 11th grade words like "dauntless" and stuff. Come on, Sly. Who you trying to kid. You're not intelligent: you proved it by saying that you think that gun confiscations will fix the crime problem.

With that statement, you also proved how un-American your thought processes are. I guess you care a lot more about inner city crime than you do about the larger issue of American liberty and Constitutional protection.

Congratulations on being hypocrite of the century, making tons of money showing people that they can solve any problem with guns, knives, fists and explosives, and then tsk-tsking society for following your example.

#4 ·
Stallone's attitude is about par for Hollywood folks...they'll make a ton of money with "gun movies", but don't want individuals to be able to defend themselves from those "characters" they seem to glamorize. Are they hypocrites or just leaning towards the world's oldest profession?

#5 ·
At least it seems that Ben Afleck doesn't agree with him.

He was on the tube a while back on a discussion type show when the topic of gun control came up. He was the lone voice who said that he had to disagree because he believed in the right of people to keep and bear arms.

He said that he thought the 2nd Amendment meant exactly what it said.

For me this was a Catch 22. I have never liked Afleck's movies much but after hearing this, I guess I need to re-watch some of 'em.

As for Stallone, he's just another Jody Foster, Tim Robbins elitest. Some things are good for him but us peasants can't be trusted.

#7 ·
As for Stallone, he's just another Jody Foster, Tim Robbins elitest. Some things are good for him but us peasants can't be trusted.
Robbins, Sarandon and Glover, among others, are already on my list of Hollywood actors that get no money from me. I don't go to see any of their movies. Looks like Stallone is added ot the list.

:urla9ub:

#6 ·
it was alleged that Sheriff Baca had issued concealed carry weapons permits (CCW) to Hollywood stars such as Sylvester Stallone .....
The rumor that Sylvester Stallone was issued a CCW permit...
I'm not a big Stallone fan, but before you tar & feather him for being a hypocrite..........allegations & rumors are just that. If he's an anti, so be it. The list is long.

#9 ·
You guys are missing the point here.

They need them because when their armed body guards are not around, what are they going to do..... Be like everyone else. THIS CANNOT HAPPEN... THEY ARE ON TV.

We need to keep ourselves in check. We are not famous and don't have the same rights as the 1st Class Citizens.... Now get back down below deck and shovel some more coal.

#10 ·
Yeah but Sly, OH! I'm sorry... Mr. Stallone, is famous and special ya know... if someone hurt or killed him why, it would be a blow to all of society! We're just ordinary expendable folks who nobody cares about... except at the box office! :rofl:

#11 ·
Special things for special people?

If Stallone has a rare LA County CCW from Sheriff Baca, he probably justified his "need" for it (required in California) on the basis of his celebrity status attracting attention and threats from strange people who don't even know him. And it is probably true that Stallone, like John Lennon, does face more risk from this than non-celebrities do.

It is unfortunate that the CA "may issue" CCW system and the required "statement of need" probably makes it easier for a celebrity to qualify for a permit than the ordinary citizen. This system is unfair and should be reformed.

But Stallone is indeed a hypocrite if he has a CCW and carries, while preaching the anti-gun party line.

#15 ·
...and add steroid user...fake.
Bovine growth hormone (bGH) is what he uses currently, to be specific and accurate.
But then so do a great many of people use GHB and anabolic steiroids too under legal prescription from doctors for any number of medical/health related reasons and to defeat the process of aging too.

I've got no issue personally with his use of whatever to maintain his physique which is requisite toward his body of work and profession.
Besides the juice doesn't just make you blow up and be strong, one still has to put in the time and work to develop and maintain the gains. Otherwise nothing would happen at all.
Physically he is not phony just scientifically enhanced & optimized, like his one time nemesis 'Ivan Drago' was. :p

- Janq

#20 ·
Amazing how good old human nature takes over when the cameras disappear.....

#21 ·
Sylvester Stallone was up here to do the Rambo movie `First blood`(arrgh my keyboard is stuck French accent mode) All the Trucks, tents, cam nets and soldiers came from my unit. Nobody that met him had anything good to say about him, in fact repeating it here would get me banned. Actually one of the nice movie stars I ever met was Jackie Chan (Rumble in the Bronx was filmed at my Hovercraft unit)

#23 ·
I am certainly no fan of " Hollywood types ". However, in defence of Mr. Stallone, many years ago a friend, a policeman, was horrible burned attempting to save two children whome were being held hostage by their father. The father had doused the room with gasoline, alot of it and as the officer attempted to recuse the children, he hit the lighter. 76% of his body was burned and he ended up in Jackson Memorials burn unit. This policemans nickname was " Rocky " as he looked similar to Mr. Stallone. Word was gotten to him and one night, he and his wife at that time came to the hospital to visit this man. There was no notice, no fanfare and he wanted none. I don't believe it was ever even reported in the media.
I realize this doesn't directly coralate to his stance on firearms, or if he even has one, one way or another but I do think it reflects on his character. Just my two cents.

#26 ·
What exactly are your two cents as regards this post? That because Stallone showed compassion for a cop nicknamed "Rocky," we should excuse the fact that he advocates the abolition of one of our precious Constitutional rights?! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't care if he gave my mother one of his kidneys -- what he does for ONE person here or there is nothing compared to the damage he advocates doing to ALL OF OUR RIGHTS.

He doesn't get a pass from me, no matter how "charitable" he is.

By the way, after that episode, did he advocate banning gasoline and cigarette lighters? I mean, if there were no guns (confiscated door-to-door), that father could still have done what he did, right?

#24 ·
There's an angel in us all. The devil is in the details. Does anyone have something good to say about Rosie? How about Ted K?

#27 ·
Hollywood stars are all about being popular and will say whatever they need to in any given situation,depending on their audiance...who knows what any of them really think,and who cares?They have as much right to their wrong opinion as anyone else......and BTW,most of Sly's movie's suck.Copland is one exception...just watched Get Carter last week...there's 2 hours I'll never get back.

#28 ·
Congratulations [Stallone] on being hypocrite of the century ...
He's not even the greatest hypocrite of the last 15mins, if modern times are any gauge. He's just another putz with defective vision and a microphone, which doesn't particularly distinguish him from the crowd ... other than the microphone.

Example: "Vick" who?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.