Wife's Carry Permit Rant

Wife's Carry Permit Rant

This is a discussion on Wife's Carry Permit Rant within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife went in today to get her concealed weapons permit. I dropped her off as I had some other errands to run. When I ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wife's Carry Permit Rant

Wife's Carry Permit Rant

My wife went in today to get her concealed weapons permit. I dropped her off as I had some other errands to run. When I came back to pick her up. She was livid in full on rant mode. Now you have to know this woman to appreciate the magnitude of her rant. She is a private quiet soft spoken gentle lady who rarely says anything to people she is unfamiliar with. Even with family and friends she thoughtful and rarely speaks out on any issue unless she has something to say.

A very kind person some mistake as submissive and passive only because they have never seen her pushed or backed into a corner. Than there is this whole other personality who has no problem telling a president of a 1% biker club whats what (whole other story). Anyway, she is ranting "they finger printed me. They took my finger prints like I was some kind of criminal. Now I am in their stupid data base. I never have been arrested not one traffic ticket not even a jaywalking ticket. Why are they finger printing me I AM NOT A CRIMINAL" OK I get it, I'm laughing of course they have to do that to do a background check to be sure she has no wants warrants or criminal record. She is over reacting. Or is she.

It got me to thinking about how intrusive the whole registering our guns and the carry permit process is. Makes me think of how complacent we or at least I am about all the intrusions into our privacy and freedoms. Makes me think I am a law abiding citizen so I have nothing to hide, so why do "They" need so much damn information into my private life. The conclusions get pretty scary or am I over reacting?

Actually? Yes...over reacting. If people were not finger printed...BG would be getting CCW under false name. People with criminal backgrounds would be lieing on forms and getting a CCW. They have to know you are who you say you are. I have been in the fingerprint file since the 70s when it was required for my job. Hasn't hurt me yet.
    I can't really see why any law abiding citizen would be offended. Being fingerprinted doesn't make you a criminal...doesn't put you in a class with criminals. Law Enforcement are....where I worked firefighters and paramedics are. The anti gunners would have a hay day if checks were not done. I don't see where it is a assualt on your civil libertys or rights as a law abiding citizen.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It does, on the other hand, make you a LOT more catchable if you ever do anything criminal, or even just questionable.

Plenty of people have stood wrongly accused of crimes throughout history. It's not so crazy to be worried that a screwup could occur that could point to you as a criminal perpetrator even when you were not the one.

I had to be finger printed before I could repair printers at a Census Bureau facility. I never thought much about it.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

One cannot get a job in many occupations today without the fingerprint and background check...try working in education!

At least they don't require a visit to the proctologist for employment yet...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    It's a reasonable requirement that you gun nuts should be subjected to. I don't know why you think you should have the right to privacy it's not like it's a "medical procedure" that there MUST be the absolute right to privacy.

Humor off.

I've tried to explain this to antis using terms they throw out on other issues (whatever they are and no DONOT want to discuss what they maybe). I've tried explaining that to get a class 3 it is more invasive than what they think the NSA phone captures are and it goes over their head.....the lack of consistency makes me
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Tell your wife, "Welcome to the club". Anyone who's ever been a LEO, been in the U.S. military or held a job requiring security clearance has been fingerprinted. For some of us, it's happened more than once. It's a BIG club!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    One cannot get a job in many occupations today without the fingerprint and background check...try working in education!

At least they don't require a visit to the proctologist for employment yet...
    Ken,

Don't give them any ideas. Might be hiding a 'drawing' of a weapon there.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Actually,

I had to be fingerprinted and background checked as a pastor.

ALL our Sunday School teachers, youth workers and staff are fingerprinted and background checked to try to protect children and youth from sexual predators.

Welcome to the club.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    I had to be finger printed before I could repair printers at a Census Bureau facility. I never thought much about it.
    At one Fed agency, they printed all 10 of my digits.

I only thought about it the first time it was done for another license.......a license as a CPA......<sheeesh>

That's nearly as silly as a Pastor, MiklColt!

Member Array carry for protection's Avatar
    I had to be fingerprinted to be a 4-H adviser. Working with kids is a touchy topic thing anymore. Bothered me a little bit, but I got over it.
    Good part is that they are taking precautions to protect my kids from the obvious predators.
    Another good thing was that I didn't get any ink on my hands!!! It was all modern tech like CSI...all computer generated.

Just for the record, even though we live in a tiny little town, I still say a prayer for my kids when they get on the bus. Their safety is not guaranteed even in our hick town full of farmers.

I can see why your wife was upset. But that is going to be a fact of life for everyone before too long...being in the "system" that is.

The fingerprinting thing is no biggie. In the last 15 years I have been fingerprinted 5 times just for Military/DoD purposes. Ever think how large a file the FBI has on everyone? It is just another piece of info to put in the file.

Your prints are put in the system and forgot about. Yes they are there to compare to if ever needed, but law abiding people don't have to worry about that. Actually my kids went to the police department to get fingerprints done for ID purposes and it was done with one of the new electronic machines. You can't tell me that they didn't store and upload those prints to a national database. It wouldn't bother me if they did because if something ever happened to my kids (disappear) I would want everyone in the country to have access to them.
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

Yes, it's intrusive. But, without it, there is only one method of determining who the "bad" folks are: awaiting the next crime and then determining their identity at that time. All in all, perhaps that would be better, given the real risks of an all-intrusive, uber-government out of control. (We're painfully close to that, now.) Still, it's what we've got at the moment. Suck it up, then have an direct and open discussion with your elected reps about your concerns, as little will change unless everyone is doing that.

I wonder: does Vermont require fingerprinting of its citizens, at some point, unrelated to firearms? Of course, Vermont doesn't require a permit, but I'm uncertain about prints as part of being a citizen (genrally) of Vermont. If none are required at any stage, then we've got our "petri dish" experiment going on, already.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm in the fingerprint club. Ran work in several Federal facilities, extensive background searches were the norm especially after 9/11.
    I've got nothing to hide yet understand your wifes dislike for the fingerprinting. Big brother will eventually end up in the wrong hands someday and it will probably be in our lifetime. Heck it may even be in 08.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links