Need some help in explaining things

This is a discussion on Need some help in explaining things within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; shonts why dont you explain to us in your own words why betty doesnt want to go to victim zones such as chicago, dc, new ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need some help in explaining things

shonts why dont you explain to us in your own words why betty doesnt want to go to victim zones such as chicago, dc, new york, etc?

p.s. if you are running out of places to visit, come on up here. you can open carry from the moment you step outside the airport. and betty can conceal the other 5 guns she carries like normal.

hehehe....

edit - since i dont know whats in bettys head, all i can say is this: i enjoy being responsible for my own safety, and being armed at all times wherever it is lawful to do such does offer a layer of security. come on now. we all know betty has more medieval weapons than an army of the knights templar. she doesn't need a big man to protect her.

2. Remove Ads

mrshonts (and Betty),

Thank you for the thought-provoking thread. I will try not to repeat what others have contributed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrshonts
    ...My whole thing is wanting her to understand that she can feel safe in places that we go and she not carry, I want to take her to places like D.C, New York, even travelling overseas someday...I will have to admit that guns still scare me...I understand that she wants to feel safe and also protect those around her but I want to also enjoy life without having to look over my shoulder every few minutes just in case something might happen...it still leaves an unanswered question, why miss out on things in your life you can enjoy just so you can carry?...this problem will get in the way of my dream...I suppose I still don't quite understand why some folks are willing to miss out on life for the sake of carrying a gun 24/7...Part of this to might be the fact that I'm a 6' 250 pound guy who has had nothing happen to that I could not use my hands for...
    Two of the places you mentioned have among the highest rates of violent crime in the entire country. Ask yourself why you want so badly for her to travel to places like that disarmed. Ask yourself why you want so badly for her to travel to places that do not respect her human right to defend herself. Ask yourself why you want to go places that actively prosecute those who dare to fight back, places where the government is so afraid of its lalw-abiding citizens and tourists, has so little regard for them, that it would rather have them disarmed than able to defend themselves. Ask yourself why you want her to go places and do things you know she would prefer not to do and that you know she feels uncomfortable doing. Ask yourself why you want to go places that have so little respect for you.

I take it you would walk through parts of southside Chicago, or the Bronx, or Harlem, or Oakland, in the middle of the night, in order to live life to the fullest. Or let's bring it a little closer to home: some neighborhoods just off Music Row, or off Thompson Lane, or in on Murfreesboro Road. I'm sure you can think of other dangerous places. You wouldn't? Truth is, you make decisions about where you are willing to go, where it is safe for you to go, and what you are willing to do, everyday, without feeling deprived and without feeling like you are missing out on anything. Because it seems prudent to you. You make decisions about your safety and welfare, and are comfortable with those decisions. Ask yourself why you feel like you shouldn't go some of those places you would prefer not to go. Ask yourself why you can't feel safe walking free and unprepared in those places.

You say you don't want to feel like you have to look over your shoulder every few minutes just because something might happen. Well, if you go to Chicago, New York, or DC, and you aren't paying attention, you will be made for an easy mark. Call it street smarts or what you will, the fact of the matter is that people who live in those places are aware of their surroundings and are on guard, all the time. They walk with purpose, and don't let themselves get stopped on the sidewalk. They don't give strangers the time of day and they don't make eye contact. They have extra locks on their steel security doors and bars on their windows. Why? Because if you don't do those things, you just might find yourself being robbed or worse. But they don't walk around in fear - it is just part of being alert and responsible. It is what you do if you work and live there.

Carry isn't a lifestyle for me. I don't live to carry. I carry to live. For me, it is about being as prepared as I can be for the unexpected, like knowing first aid, or carrying a pocketknife. My handgun is a tool that allows me to defend myself at a distance, so I don't have to wait until someone is close enough for hand-to-hand combat.

In the end, you must answer your own questions. We can't answer them for you. If you love this girl as much as you say, then set aside your dream of taking her places she doesn't want to go and that make her uncomfortable. It doesn't sound like a worthy dream. Choose instead a dream you two can share.

This problem is getting in the way of YOUR dream. Your dream is not necessarily HER dream.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Lead Moderator
    As a former LEO I have seen enough bad in the world to know it can happen any time. I value my life more than temorary enjoyment of a place. I will travel to some out of bounds destination , but I need to have a good reason for it. Unless you have experienced trouble I feel you cannot understand fully why we carry. My girlfiend doesn't mind that i carry, guess I am lucky.

I'm gonna get in so much trouble for this............
    I know what you mean mrshonts..........Life isn't worth living, unless you are living it the way you want. Then again, I have no one to protect but myself.
    And its a Yamaha
    .44 Smith & Wesson Model 29-2
    .45 Springfield GI
    .45 Springfield Champion
    .44 Special Taurus

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

DC Founder
    In another thread, HotGuns said:

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Eighty percent of the people out there are nothing more than cannon fodder. Thats all they have ever been and thats all they'll ever be.

Ten percent of the people are absolutley evil .

The other ten percent are good...and aware of the evil.

Its been that way through out history, it never really changes.

Life is about the 10 percent of evil people constantly fighting the rest of the world while the 80 percent that gets caught in the crossfire die with out ever knowing why or the purpose for their lives.

Its the 10 percent of the good folks with a clue that stand in the way of evil.Life is basically simple. Its about good vs. evil. Thats it, plain and simple.

Once you figure it out (most never do) its just a matter of choosing sides and living it out.

Ever notice how people of like values and interests somehow migrate to each other ?

Surround yourself with good folks that have a clue. You'll have to learn to tolerate the 80 percent because they are everywhere.Watch the evil 10 percent, never take your eyes off of them, never let your guard down.

In the long run, you'll be glad you did.
    No offense intended, mrshonts, but it sounds like you may be in the process of making it out of the 80% group, but aren't quite there yet. Betty is clearly at the top already. I'm not sure any of us can say anything that will move you the rest of the way. It's up to you and Betty now, or a BG out there lurking ready to make you a victim.

As Tom357 said, "Carry isn't a lifestyle for me. I don't live to carry. I carry to live. For me, it is about being as prepared as I can be for the unexpected, like knowing first aid, or carrying a pocketknife."
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Bumper and Hotguns,

That was excellent! Thank you.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

Senior Moderator
    Its not about carrying a gun.

It all about awareness.

Heres an analogy..
    Remember the movie 'The Matrix" ?
    Neo gets the choice of a blue pill where he becomes aware of everything or the red pill...where he forgets everything and goes back to a safe little mundane existance.

He takes the blue pill...and becomes aware of reality...but knowing that once he becomes "aware"' he can never go back.

So mrshonts...

Its not about the guns.
    Its about becoming aware,becoming responsible and being able to fend for ones self. Asking someone that is "aware" to become helpless is like asking
    a combat vet to enter a combat zone without a weapon.

Its asking alot of someone that you care for. Bettys awareness appears to be much more encompassing of reality than your own at the moment. That is why she takes the stand that she does.

If you are fortunate enough to ever become "aware" you'll understand exactly where she is coming from. I have hope for you though. Educating yourself about the issues is the first step towards taking the "blue pill".

Once you do it...you'll never look back...

VIP Member
    Thank you everybody for the comments - keep them coming!

We were at the local gun show today, scouting around for places for mrshonts to take his carry permit class. He'll be shooting the K40, and we stocked up on ammo.

He's not convinced an IWB holster is going to work, and I didn't have one for him to try. I have a really nice black leather Aker paddle holster, but that's not going to work, especially in the summer months.

One vendor was selling concealed carry button-up dress shirts that had velcro on the side/bottom of the front left pocket; you easily rip that open and you can access a shoulder rig or belly band. Mrshonts purchased one of those and a belly band, and it seems to be pretty decent. It's somewhere to start, anyway.

I believe (and hope) the mindset will start kicking in when he does have his carry permit. You start seeing things from a whole new perspective when you start exercising your right to self-defense.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Thank you everybody for the comments - keep them coming!

We were at the local gun show today, scouting around for places for mrshonts to take his carry permit class. He'll be shooting the K40, and we stocked up on ammo.

He's not convinced an IWB holster is going to work, and I didn't have one for him to try. I have a really nice black leather Aker paddle holster, but that's not going to work, especially in the summer months.

One vendor was selling concealed carry button-up dress shirts that had velcro on the side/bottom of the front left pocket; you easily rip that open and you can access a shoulder rig or belly band. Mrshonts purchased one of those and a belly band, and it seems to be pretty decent. It's somewhere to start, anyway.

I believe (and hope) the mindset will start kicking in when he does have his carry permit. You start seeing things from a whole new perspective when you start exercising your right to self-defense.
    I am glad that I have been able to get opinions from everyone here and I do understand the need to defend yourself which is why I am going to be getting my carry permit soon. There is still the fact that I don't completely see eye to eye with everyone when it comes to carrying 24/7 but I am trying my best to understand, so just give me some more time

Assistant Administrator
    mrshonts - kudos to you sir for reading all our offerings. Many folks would not even bother at all, whereas you have shown your willingness to hear us - even if right now you are still in the ''learning phase''.

I applaud you for at least feeling able to move ahead re the carry angle and do think that over time and with further thought, you may well see that some at least of what we have mentioned - can be quite valid.

One step at a time
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

but I am a blonde and a guy....so I've already got those two things riding against me in understanding things!!

just kidding

Assistant Administrator
    but I am a blonde and a guy
    Excuses, excuses!!!
    Chris - P95

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    P95Carry,

Now, now, my long lost brother. Blonde fathers give birth to blonde girls.

Look at life in the big picture. Our Corsican cousin Bobbie sends his regards and wants to borrow some money.

sm
    I have dirty blonde hair, a dirty blonde long moustache ( some gray has snuck into the 'stache somehow) and I'm a guy.

The way it was 'plained to me ( by a brown-eyed brunette) hair color ain't got nothing to with not understanding. The fact we are guys is the problem. Standing up to tinkle messes up the oxygen getting to the brain.

She said this before she was a nurse. I paid real good attention in Anat/Phys many years later - not once was this subject discussed. Granted we had a male Dr teaching us...maybe he didn't understand either.

I'm waiting for the day when Betty mentions she has a errand to run, and "No that is a bad area, I'll go instead" -mrshonts replies and dons CCW.

mrshonts, - two rules, put the lid down and take out the trash...supposed to help with the oxygen flow to the brain...somehow.
    Use Enough Gun

Assistant Administrator
    Steve -
    Chris - P95

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links