Need some help in explaining things

This is a discussion on Need some help in explaining things within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by sm mrshonts, - two rules, put the lid down and take out the trash...supposed to help with the oxygen flow to the ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Need some help in explaining things

Quote Originally Posted by sm
    mrshonts, - two rules, put the lid down and take out the trash...supposed to help with the oxygen flow to the brain...somehow.

don't worry, I already do that as much as possible......I get plenty of practice of cleaning up since my roommate thinks he still doesn't need pick up after himself....hmmmm and he wonders why women don't like him?!?!?!?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mrshonts
    There is still the fact that I don't completely see eye to eye with everyone when it comes to carrying 24/7 but I am trying my best to understand, so just give me some more time
    No need to agree with everyone (or even anyone). We are all very fortunate to live in a free country, and get to make our own decisions. I suspect a few of our European-born citizens have some opinions on this.

You should also bear in mind that you don't have to carry 24/7/365. If you decide to carry only on Mondays, for example, you have still improved your odds. Most of us think, though, that the day we leave it home will be the day we need it, thanks to Mr. Murphy.

Welcome to the Brother/sisterhood.

SSKC

sm

Chris

What?
    You talking to me?

I'll share something many folks don't think about. Ladies of any age , and older folks of either gender at home when having to deal with home repairs.

Now I think one of the dumbest ideas are these Corporate logo shirts. I hate badges too.

It is no big deal to go to the Goodwill, Thrift stores, or the Internet and get a logo shirt for a local utility company, Service Company to repair a washing machine, plumber...you name it. And do most folks actually read a ID badge?

Yes I am at mom's when the folks show up to do whatever they are supposed to be doing. Mom is 75, her area is not what it used to be...

Yes I have gone to single ladies homes, or even married ones if the hubby cannot be there and played the role of the male BF, hubby, or another elderly lady/ couples "son".

Forget Chicago...just having the normal upkeep at the home can be a serious threat.

Ladies: Please Please make sure when you "borrow" a guy like yours truly, that happens to have a pickup truck to -say for instance to bring home a Laz-Boy chair as a surprise for your Really BIG Husband...have the big bow in the house already.

Guys: do not under any circumstance answer the durn phone when the lady of the house runs outside to the car to get the big bow for the chair...

BIG husbands can drive home really fast. BIG husbands get their surprise B-day Laz-Boy chair at 10 am instead of when they get home at 6 pm normally.

Don't ask me how I know...
    Use Enough Gun

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Now I think one of the dumbest ideas are these Corporate logo shirts. I hate badges too.
    Well, that just hurts my feelings. I mean, a decorative, artistic and colorful embroidered patch worn proudly on the back of a sleeveless denim waistcoat seems a harmless evocation that one has for his fraternity. And it seems like jolly good, harmless fun to gather at a local pub to share in the celebration of this fraternity. Of course, some type of transportation might be required for these excursions, and who could take umbrage at that?

SM, I fail to see your displeasure in this joy of fraternity. Perhaps a member of this electorate has uttered some pithy remise to you at one of these pubs?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I believe (and hope) the mindset will start kicking in when he does have his carry permit. You start seeing things from a whole new perspective when you start exercising your right to self-defense.
    We're rooting for both of you!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

sm
    The Tourist-

Once again I have proven my inability to express myself.
    Chris , Betty and a few others were supposed to warn you folks.

My ex was / is a Nurse in a Children's Hospital. So it was mandatory for her to wear a Nurse's scrub and top, Like most hospitals there are colors unique to hospitals temselves and within the hospital colors represent various Job Descriptions.

I at one time worked in the main OR of a Hospital, We in the OR didn't have to abide by the dumb dress code [example: no jeans] because as soon as we arrived we HAD to / changed into Scrubs. Sterile area and all. Granted being the rebel I am - well I wore scrubs from other hospitals. We would have folks come in from all over to retrieve Organs for example - Not uncommon to " hey since your are flying down, bring me ...I'll trade ya..." Or often they brought extras...that is how come in the OR I / others had Mayo Clinic scrubs and such. Rules "said" I had to wear scrubs...didn't 'say' I couldn't wear a scrub from another Childrens hosptial with Scooby-Do, RoadRunner ( my favorite) "Beep to Live - Live to Beep" What? You didn't know RR rode a Harley? Tobasco Hot sauce Head covering were popular too.

I didn't wear my badge showing / exposed, got in the way, didn't need that getting inside someone. I kept mine in my inside pocket.

MY gripe is the Employee Mandated Shirt with logo and Mandatory Dress Code. I have this problem with "Control" . I am old enough to remember when folks dressed nice, even with clean jeans, and just wore a name badge while at work. You recall going into a Store, employees dressed nice, Name badge had Store name and employee name.

This logo shirt seems like the STATE wants all the "citizens" to be indoctrinated , not think for themselves, and all act and ape the State Doctrine.

Hey - I have buds with motorcycle vests, folks in bowling leagues, sponsored by a Firearm or Fishing mfg. This is different, this is a "brotherhood" , folks having fun doing something THEY want, THEY choose. NOT a "doctrine of control".

Here is the difference as I see it. Folks today do not think, and many folks have a condition white mentality. Many Companies do NOT want their employees to think.

In the "old days" a new employee in street clothes would go past a bookeeper area, a maintenance area and be stopped for ID. "Oh you are the new employee?"

Today they see a logo shirt go out the place , ask no questions with the new " I feel safer with everyone in uniform".

One of the things I have been known to do is access security for folks. Had a friend "argue" I was wrong. So I went to a Thrift store, got a shirt similar to what his company used. I went in thru the warehouse unnoticed, grabbed a laptop off a desk, the keys off the pegboard, and drove off with a van loaded with medical supplies. I called him from Wendy's to have lunch.

He shows up down the street 30 minutes later, and boy was he surprised. Not yet has 40 minutes passed and no body noticed anything missing...not the laptop with customer acct info, or $100K in medical supplies.

Now -his employees can wear nice street clothes, clean jeans the logo shirt if want, but boy did the lessons on Security Start. He uses the video of me stealing to press points of false security, condition white, and such.

Flip side was how employees / the public can be duped into a false sense of security by others doing what I did.

True story: I have been in AA since 1984. We had a noted speaker one night and we didn't finish until 10 pm . This meeting place is in a bad area. So between the bankers, lawyers, doctors ( some older guys riding bikes clean cut) and the couple of other AA Biker "gangs" - no problem getting folks out to the parking lot. Even the wheelchair bound folks.

Fire up the Harleys and such and you hear from the bad guy gang bangers " them are Bikers, they are nuts, they'll run over you and knife you". Gang bangers left.

Bunch of us went to Denny's and these "young men" pulled into the parking lot <expletive> - "man them crazy folks are everywhere tonight" .

Perception : Can work for or against. Thinking and awareness is the key.
    Use Enough Gun

Quote Originally Posted by mrshonts
    I am glad that I have been able to get opinions from everyone here and I do understand the need to defend yourself which is why I am going to be getting my carry permit soon. There is still the fact that I don't completely see eye to eye with everyone when it comes to carrying 24/7 but I am trying my best to understand, so just give me some more time
    Little late to the party, here, but: Most of my life, I've worked healthcare/EMS,and most of these industries/facilities are fairly restrictive on weapons, and your physical ability to carry them. So, I've delved more into alternative force/improvised tools. FYI: I lived in Murfreesboro, about 10 years ago, and worked at the Middle Tennessee Reception Center- long enough to know my a** probably needed to work someplace else; too much de-escalation/non-confrontational residue from EMS

Anyhoo, my thinking has always been, "What are you missing?" I've worked the Wichita River Festival and seen a 16 yo girl dead-drunk with a group of 8 20-something-yo's saying, "oh, she's my cousin, we'll take her home...", each "cousin" with a slightly different version of where "home" is; a 30 yo male, walking in the street, a stranger walks up to him, and breaks a 20 oz Bud bottle across his face- yes, it was a stranger, we saw the interaction as it happened; lot's more, clubs, parks, malls, etc.. If you go to "group-areas", these days, each time you do, you increase the odds of getting terminally smacked-on. No concert, street party, or anything else is worth the DUI's on the road, the fights, rapes, etc., etc..

I compromise: we've taken trips to MD and Cancun. My wife doesn't understand why I treat this like going into a free-fire zone. You basically have to admit to yourself that, heightened awareness or not, you are assuming an increased risk. As long as you do it eyes-open, you're as prepared as you can be.... Never forget: your mind is your primary weapon- keep it sharp!

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Betty,

I thought of something last night as the seroquel was kicking in.

I'm sure that your association with Mrshonts is a very important aspect to your life. And you identify your core beliefs with an independent attitude towards firearms and your rights as defined by The Framers. Most of us do, as well, or we would be members of some paracord collectors' forum.

However, my wife has a smattering of knowledge about firearms and almost nil fascination with motorcycles. In turn, her gardening makes me sneeze. Her favorite pastime is cutting brush, and there's not a lick of chrome on her axe.

My point here is "so what"? Is Mrshonts initial lack of participation a deal breaker that must 'be fixed'? In your eyes, do all real men pack heat? If the day comes when he finally gets his license and turns to you and says, "Now that this is over with, can I start to sew dolls' dresses again?" will you abandone him? The love of firearms seems to be more on your side of the line.

I have an art degree, I wrote a book, I play bridge, I do most of the house cleaning, I do all of the dishes and some grocery shopping. If you took that sentence, separate of what you know about me in general, and asked Joe Blow on a street corner how I define my core beliefs, the guy most likely would say "interior decorator."

Ask anyone on a motorcycle why they have invest +$30K in a chrome toy and they instantly say "freedom." Freedom to come and go, freedom to think independently and live outside of the box. Now granted, most guys and their bikes are 'black on chrome,' but I am referring to choices and ideals. I do not think as an outlaw (now).

The old joke about relationships is that as the relationship grows, then slowly the guy's little red sports car goes, along with his favorite jeans and his furniture. I think it's a good joke, but a lousy strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    I compromise: we've taken trips to MD and Cancun. My wife doesn't understand why I treat this like going into a free-fire zone. You basically have to admit to yourself that, heightened awareness or not, you are assuming an increased risk. As long as you do it eyes-open, you're as prepared as you can be.... Never forget: your mind is your primary weapon- keep it sharp!

I definitely see where you’re coming from and it seems that ever since Betty and I first talked about this that I am more understanding of it as each day passes. I might not ever see completely eye to eye with her on this or some other things but I know that every relationship has its differences.

My brother was 6 feet 1 and 250 pounds and had blonde hair. He was at a friends house who was having a party, when the door opened up and a guy came in drunk and yelling.

[The guy had been at a party down stairs in the same house got thrown out went home got a gun came back and went in to the wrong apt.]

My brother Jimmy stood up and the guy pulled the gun out of his pocket and shot him 8 times.

That's a story I don't like to tell because it ruined not only his life but every ones who loved him. Bad memories are carried with you your whole life.

Size has nothing to do with your safety. Every one bleeds.

Assistant Administrator
    bugs - that is quite simply - devastating.

I guess too it happened so quick. I can only imagine a solution to that sorta deal being someone present with acute observational and awareness skills, carrying - who just might have dropped the perp before harm came to your bro.

You have a heavy burden to carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Is Mrshonts initial lack of participation a deal breaker that must 'be fixed'? In your eyes, do all real men pack heat? If the day comes when he finally gets his license and turns to you and says, "Now that this is over with, can I start to sew dolls' dresses again?" will you abandone him?
    Now I'll be blunt.

I will say that the man who puts a size 4 ring on my left hand needs to meet certain qualifications.

Anyone who does not see the sense in taking simple precautions is a liability. I'm tired of the seatbelt analogies that get ignored because "it's an unfair comparison." Fine, then. Go to Chicago and don't wear your seatbelt. Take the fire extinguishers out of your house, cancel your insurance, don't turn your alarm system on, and leave your doors unlocked, because all those things are "inconvenient" things that get in the way of your convenient fun.

Anyone who does not have even unarmed fighting skills and asks that I, as a smaller, easier target, go about unarmed with him is reckless. He is a liability.

I do not demand that my significant other be armed or even a gun owner. I do demand that he honor my desire to be armed and that I do not appreciate going to places where I cannot carry, and will do my best to avoid those places. As I've said, there's plenty of other places to go that are just as fun, and I can be armed. That is the compromise that I offer.

I've dated men who were more armed than me, and one who turned out to be anti-gun. None of those men were good matches for me, because it takes more than being a gun owner to be a good match. I will not, however, be permanently attached to a man who is unable and unwilling to ensure that he and his loved ones are safe, especially when the means are already in place and he willingly offers to remove them. I will not have a man who unlocks the door as soon as I lock it.

mrshonts, I know it sounds harsh, but this is my reality. After you obtain your permit and begin to carry, I hope you'll understand better. I don't want anything between us, but there are lines in the sand, and my safety is one of them.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Betty, Noticed in your post(#40) that you mentioned Velcro. I would reccommend that you not use ANY products(holster,mag holders,knife holders,light holders,fanny packs,or clothing, that makes you "tear"apart Velcro to get at your weapon/gear. Think of all the sanerieo's that this would say to the BG,"here I am,and I'm grabbing for something to fight with." Had an instructor many years ago that taught"the loudest sound that you should have to make before a fight or during a fight,is the safety being disengauged." Visualize yourself sneekin' and peekin' in a darkened house and now you got to retrieve a new mag that is in a pouch with the flap held closed with massive amounts of VELCRO. Try it sometimes. It is sooooo loud it will deaffen you. ------

sm
    Betty-

I agree with your post.

I take this "line in the sand" serious. You and a few others know of me and "past life".

I am a 6', 175# male. I am also hard-headed, stubborn as a mule when it comes to some matters, and especially "lines the sand".

There are folks I was raised with, with same last name. I dis owned them. First they walked away, then 'tried' to change me. I , in NO uncertain terms and language - disowned them. I did this with what I thought were friends also.

These folks have by stupidity put themselves in danger. That is there "right". Putting ME in danger, and having shots fired at ME. NOPE, not gonna happen again.

I made it clear, they end up dead, do not call me for a funeral. I do not have time for stupid people.

My little nieces ,nephews, well they get books and letters from Uncle Steve. When they get older they can drive to see me, or meet me somewhere. I get a phone call from one niece, " I had to hide that book you sent, had to hide some other stuff too". She knows, she has to be responsible, she is under 'house rules" being only 12.

I have folks I trust and don't mind being with. I met our buddy Preacherman for dinner, I felt so comfortable. I have met another Forum buddy...same deal. Granted the sign said no CCW...about 15 min after being in the place...which I didn't see. "Just what the hell and where are you carrying?"
    I was legal in that state - he was not with recipricosity.

'Oh well...we'll be finished in about 10 more minutes..." oops.

Well, they shoulda had a bigger sign or told the fat couple to not stand in front of it as one enters

There are some rules that don't bend with me. I assure you if you and I meet, well first I'd be honored. Second, we will not go to any areas YOU do not feel safe ,nor will we go anywhere I don't feel safe. We agree to disagree, we can fuss and such. WE ain't going anywhere either one of us is NOT comfortable.

I clean up real well for a old Southern guy in a truck. I can do fancy eating joints, attend Live Theatre, even Country Clubs. I can have a ball watching folks at IHOP or Cracker Barrel. I dunno pull into a small town grocery store, loaf of bread, RC s, moonpies and BBQ and have a great picnic in the rain.

Wander around a small town gun shop, hardware store ...gawk at the town square..

Sometime just feeding a date's dog marshmellows is all the fun I can stand.

MY safety and concerns WILL be respected. Or I walk away. And I am a guy.

Chris and I ...if we ever met safety is #1 . #2 is his wife is gonna know for sure we are both nuts.
    Use Enough Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    Now I'll be blunt.

I will say that the man who puts a size 4 ring on my left hand needs to meet certain qualifications.

Anyone who does not see the sense in taking simple precautions is a liability. I'm tired of the seatbelt analogies that get ignored because "it's an unfair comparison." Fine, then. Go to Chicago and don't wear your seatbelt. Take the fire extinguishers out of your house, cancel your insurance, don't turn your alarm system on, and leave your doors unlocked, because all those things are "inconvenient" things that get in the way of your convenient fun.

Anyone who does not have even unarmed fighting skills and asks that I, as a smaller, easier target, go about unarmed with him is reckless. He is a liability.

I do not demand that my significant other be armed or even a gun owner. I do demand that he honor my desire to be armed and that I do not appreciate going to places where I cannot carry, and will do my best to avoid those places. As I've said, there's plenty of other places to go that are just as fun, and I can be armed. That is the compromise that I offer.

I've dated men who were more armed than me, and one who turned out to be anti-gun. None of those men were good matches for me, because it takes more than being a gun owner to be a good match. I will not, however, be permanently attached to a man who is unable and unwilling to ensure that he and his loved ones are safe, especially when the means are already in place and he willingly offers to remove them. I will not have a man who unlocks the door as soon as I lock it.

mrshonts, I know it sounds harsh, but this is my reality. After you obtain your permit and begin to carry, I hope you'll understand better. I don't want anything between us, but there are lines in the sand, and my safety is one of them.
    I understand what you are saying and I am glad we have been able to get others advice on this forum which has helped me see what you are talking about. I realize now that I will never ask you to do anything that goes against your belief system and your own desires. It was hard for me to understand your viewpoints when I first started dating you but now I know it is important to you and it is becoming important to me as well. I don't expect for you to ask for me to do something that goes against my beliefs and therefore I will never ask that of you again. The only thing that I ask of you is to give me time to become more understanding of your position which is something that I have been better able to grasp over this past week.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links