I know I'll get laughed at for this......

This is a discussion on I know I'll get laughed at for this...... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you legally carry while driving a TRACTOR? Yes, as in John Deere. I have to drive our tractor a few miles to do ...

Thread: I know I'll get laughed at for this......

How do you legally carry while driving a TRACTOR? Yes, as in John Deere.
    I have to drive our tractor a few miles to do some mowing at another property. I'm not sure if I should carry open or concealed, since a tractor is not technically a motor vehicle. I prefer concealed.
    Silly question, huh?

I'd answer your question with a counter question:

If instead of mowing a field, your job was to load things in a warehouse, would you have to carry openly while operating a forklift?

And by the way, in my class, there are no stupid questions or stupid answers.

Well that would first depend on whether or not the warehouse owner allowed CCW on the premises, BUT I will be on a public road with the tractor, which is my main concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I'd answer your question with a counter question:

If instead of mowing a field, your job was to load things in a warehouse, would you have to carry openly while operating a forklift?

And by the way, in my class, there are no stupid questions or stupid answers.

Well in that case, it's better to err on the side of caution I feel. I know a lot of modern tractors actually have a cab. Surely it would not be too hard to find a place to situate your gun? I don't think anyone's going to see it anyway.

Just to play the devil's advocate with you, I'm not an agricultural person, but where I come from it's not unheard of for a rancher or farmer to go about their daily business with a rifle handy to kill pests and take care of any rabid animals that might attack, etc. As a matter of fact my SKS was someone's former "Coyote Gun".

Indeed the last time I was on a ranch, the owner approached us with a Smith and Wesson .357 openly carried on his hip and a .30-06 in his hands. A police officer arrived soon thereafter and the two of them went on about some local nonsense.

Assistant Administrator
    Mrs B - yet to discover your favored carry piece and mode but - here? concealed I think would be ideal - assuming you have a rig with which you are comfortable most places.

For me on a tractor - business as usual - SIG belt slide OWB 3 - to 3.30.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Thumbs up Hi Mrs Bakeryman

Oh...you are in Ohio.
    The State of Ohio is so mixed up & confused these days with respect to their carry laws & special "in vehicle" carry requirements.
    That's a very good question that you posed.
    Do you have your Ohio concealed carry license?
    I think somebody living in Ohio is going to have to chime in on this one.
    You could call your local police department & ask them for an opinion.

Here Is One book You Might want To Buy.
    OHIO Carry Laws ~ Click Here
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Assistant Administrator
    Oops - forgot the OHIO deal - hmmm - that does complicate things a wee bit. Sooner they get that stoopid proviso off the books the better - what a crock!!

I'd say a a tractor was by definition tho still a motor vehicle (proveable in court in my book) - so, keep piece visible on legs. That is of course if anyone was willing to climb up and take a peek anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

ALSO.....Check Out This Page

Ohio Vehicle Carry ~ LINK CLICK HERE

Going by The Info On The above Link...If you have an Ohio Concealed Carry License then you should be fine if you carry your firearm holstered in plain sight while on your tractor.
    But I don't want to say for sure...I don't like to give legal advice to people that I like.

VIP Member
    Write a letter to your local/county prosecutor so they will write you a letter back clarifying your situation. Seal it in a zip lock baggie and have it with you when you drive the tractor on the road. That way should you be stopped you will have the letter to show the officer. That should hopefully avoid any unpleasant situations.

-Scott-

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I don't know about ohio, but just south of you in Ky a horse is considered a motor vehicle if you have it on a public road. Golf carts, lawn tractors, and yes John Deere is considered a motor vehicle. We recently had a semi local incident where a guy got Dui in a project car being pushed by a couple of his buddies from one driveway to another. It seems that they wen't a few hundred yards on a public road and got caught. The funny part is the car's engine was hanging from a hoist in driveway they had just left. LOL

In your situation, I would be very careful if you carry on a tractor.

I carry a Taurus PT111 with a hip holster or a Bersa .380 in a fanny pack.
    Since in a motor vehicle I have to have it in plain sight and because in Ohio it is legal to carry open and I do have a CCW license, I will carry my Taurus today (open). No cab on the tractor so everyone will be able to see it. I don't care that it'll be visable so much as being legal.
    Well better get rollin'. Thanks for the replies!!

Sponsored Links