When you need a lawyer FAST!!

This is a discussion on When you need a lawyer FAST!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good thread Team.....thanks to Erich for his post, most helpful! We may have to open up other threads....hmmm.....any doctors out there specializing in gunshot wounds!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When you need a lawyer FAST!!

Good thread Team.....thanks to Erich for his post, most helpful! We may have to open up other threads....hmmm.....any doctors out there specializing in gunshot wounds!
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

2. Remove Ads

hmmm.....any doctors out there specializing in gunshot wounds!
    I spent 8 years working as an ER Tech in Detroit, does that count?

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA

Smile

Glad my post was of some use folks!

You may also want to check with the NRA. I know they have a list of proven PRO 2A lawyers. I don't know where to access it, but I have seen it before.

It's also a good idea to keep your chosen laywer on speed dial, and maybe keep his business card in your wallet.

When I was at the Riddle of Steel last year one of the guys there was criminal defense lawyer. He had this great quote that stuck in my head:

Fish only get caught when they open their f'ing mouths!
    /***********
    Phill
    ************/

"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
    William of Ockham (ca. 1285-1349)

ERICH tells you the real deal. Even when I was in LE the first thing I would say when I was involed in a shooting was I want my lawyer. I will say this, and it may piss off some LEOs but it is truth but they don't like it whe you lawyer up and they don't like being told no. but they will get over it. You have rights and exercise them. The bad guys do it all they time. I myself have a close personal friend who is my lawyer(criminal) and his partner(civil) so I got both ends covered. But I hope I never have to call them but if I have to I will.

Re: When you need a lawyer FAST!!

Iwould reccomend you start by contacting local pro-gun groups in your area and ask for a referral.

Here in CT. we have several attornies who are affiliated with some clubs and other organizations.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

David Kenik, in his book Armed Response, also points out to make sure your lawyer uses an "affirmative defense" - that is, the shooting is presented to the judge/jury as a deliberate action which was taken for justifiable reasons. You shot the guy because you were in fear of your (or someone else's) life, because you concluded that the BG meant to kill you (or them).

In other words, Kenik is saying, don't let the lawyer convince you that you'd be better off if you used the defense of "The gun just went off by itself when I pointed it at him." That's a good way to get convicted of negligent homicide, because it will look like you didn't have control of your firearm, and had no good reason to shoot the poor BG.

LibertyGal
    Requiring a license makes it illegal to do something that was lawful before the license was required.

Great advice... I'm shuttering with the urge to STFU now...lol

::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Having the business card of a good attorney in your wallet sounds like it should be standard equipment for a CCW'er....
    That's sound wisdom! We arm ourselves with the best weapons ammo and knowledge we can get but forget to cover our butts in the event we ever have to use them!

+1 Good heads up! Thank you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

it is said that when the air clears from the shooting... It truly is ONLY the begining...
    ::: NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, Military Veteran, Public Safety Professional :::

Thank you Erich, your few paragraphs of wisdom that I read sure made it a no-brainer food for thought... and I feel less uptight about wondering what would be the correct steps to take...just in-case.

Arthur

While scouting and talking to your lawyer it would be a good idea to let him tell you about his experience with the personal aftermath of a shooting and the toll it has taken on his clients' lives. We've heard it before from some non-lawyer authors but there's nothing like your own lawyer telling you what's at stake before you decide to pull the trigger.

Recently Arizona had a high profile self-defense shooting trial that resulted in a second degree murder conviction. If that guy had a heart to heart with his lawyer first he may have been able to avoid a situation causing him to face 10 to 15 years in prison.

Right after I got my permit I started checking around. Got pointed to a good lawyer by other lawyers who said they'ed want him defending them in a self defense case. He carries himself. Gave me an excellent run down on the realities of FL Castle doctrine in light of my situation, which involves a wheelchair bound wife, for free. He has no big adverts, just a standard single line in the yellow pages but seems highly thought of in criminal defense circles. I also got the strong STFU lesson. He made the interesting remark that he prefers defending people he believes to be innocent of wrongdoing! A criminal defense lawyer? Imagine that...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    thanks for an excellent post Erich...
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links