When you need a lawyer FAST!! - Page 3

When you need a lawyer FAST!!

This is a discussion on When you need a lawyer FAST!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ERICH -- thanks for the good information! Team -- excellent thread! whitestone -- do you have a link for that case in Arizona? It sould ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When you need a lawyer FAST!!

ERICH -- thanks for the good information!
    Team -- excellent thread!
    whitestone -- do you have a link for that case in Arizona? It sould be informative to learn what mistakes to avoid from the proceedings which landed the guy in jail. ---Jeff

Thank you, Erich, for the information. One question, though. Isn't requesting an attorney from the police the same as requesting one from the Bar Association? You're just getting the next public defender. Again, appreciate the information.
    Ken

xercise2nd,

Here's a link to a news report on the Arizona shooting case. I was wrong. He is facing 10-22 years, not 10-15.

http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=5034336&nav=HMO6HMaY

You'll read that the defendant shot a man on a hiking trail who came at him threatening the defendant with harm or death. This was after the defendant gave warnings to the threatening man. The jury decided that the defendant had other options besides shooting the man in the chest. Though I do not know what the other options were or how close the man was to the defendant, it appears at first glance to be an unfair result. At the very least it makes me wonder how much of the Hollywood-induced "instant handgun stopping power" fallacy the jury relied on in reaching its verdict.

After the shooting, Arizona changed its law so that the prosecution has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant did not act in self-defense. Before that, the burden was on the defendant to show he acted in self-defense. Big change. Due to the timing of the new law, however, the defendant did not get the benefit of the changed law at his trial. That will surely be appealed all the way to the top court in Arizona.

Interestingly, the NRA helped bankroll his defense in this test of the new law. Membership has its privileges.

Thanks, whitestone.

Here's more from a Yahoo search:

http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/...no&fr2=tab-web

To return to the point within this thread, it would be informative to see how Mr. Fish handled his contact with the authorities. Trial transcripts might reveal this.

Hoo-ray for Arizona legislature and the governor. While it will be interesting to see if the new law is finally determined to be applied retroactively, note the difference mid-article (http://www.azcentral.com/abgnews/art...fense0622.html) where it summarizes the legaleze central to the issue.

---Jeff

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    "McDonald said jurors were not allowed to hear evidence such as Kuenzli's history of violence and aggression, and the fact that he was armed with a screwdriver at the time of the shooting."

I cannot fathom how or why evidence like that would be excluded in this case. What a crock! Sounds like he needs to appeal with a better lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    But that still doesn't answer how to select a good and honest lawyer.:
    I am sure there is a Joke waiting to be inserted here. ~

Erich,
    Fantastic post. I have been looking for that exact information. Now the question would be. I have CCW in other states. What if you are in another state and something happens. How would you choose a Lawyer? Thanks again for that great advice..

Quote Originally Posted by Billie40
    What if you are in another state and something happens. How would you choose a Lawyer?
    Contact your chosen lawyer in your home state and let him do the legwork in finding a lawyer for you in the state you're currently in.

At least, that's what I would do, off the top of my head and not being a lawyer myself. I'll be interested in Erich's response to this one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links