Defensive Carry banner

Your personal perceived risk rating?

4K views 31 replies 30 participants last post by  tex45acp 
#1 ·
I am interested to see amongst the CC members, just what spread of risk we individually perceive (actual or imagined).... and therefore also, the degree of counter -measures employed.

This is primarily to do with carry choices, frequency of same - and maybe too the required and used level of security (house, vehicle etc).

I consider myself fortunate - I live in a semi rural environment - in fact my county population is IIRC not much more than 50,000. I'd say risk on a scale of 1 thru 10 was possibly no worse than a 1 or 2 overall. That said, now and again quite significant events occur and so we are hardly Nirvana! I would be #6 in the poll.

Make your closest suitable pole vote and if you can, expand on your reasons for your perception and the rationale behind any and all defensive plans.

Darn it - the poll didn't take!!!

OK - here are your choices -

1) City dweller - high risk

2) City dweller - low risk

3) Suburban dwelling - high risk

4) Suburban dwelling - low risk

5) Semi rural dwelling - high risk

6) Semi rural dwelling - low risk

7) Rural dwelling - high risk

8) Rural dwelling - low risk

See less See more
#2 ·
My risk level 6 months ago, when I lived in the PRK was probably about a 9, due to jobs I had held over the last decade, as well as my neighborhood, ethnicity, etc.
My current risk level, probably no greater than a 1.
I still live as though I am at a 7 or 8. Because I could be wrong, and there are many unknown factors.

#3 ·
I would say I'm a suburb dweller with a relatively low risk. I live in a place where the police and the teachers are the lowest people on the social/income spectrum. :tongue:

But seriously I live in a nice town of about 30,000 people (and growing like wild fire) with tough as nails city and county law enforcement. Most of the county is rural.

It's about as safe as a place can be. I don't kid myself that this community is ripe for predators, and I also don't kid myself about the urban warzones that are within 30 miles of me. But I'm out of the fryer and in the frying pan instead.

I think the odds of me being attacked at home are actually very, very slim. What I see as most realistic is being accosted on the street. I do walk around town a lot.

I did just learn this past week about a plan that was discovered in a neighboring town with a similar demographic to go on a killing spree at a local middle school. That rattled my cage a little.

In light of the stories posted on this and other forums, I believe that violent predators are irrational and unpredictable. No one is 100% safe.

#6 ·
Good start - need more input.

But - if you can expand on your methods/choices that you find suit your choice it would help to further flesh out the survey. Reason is - to see what folks feel is enough to suit their perceived risk.

#7 ·
I live on the coast of CA 45 miles south of LA in a town of about 200,000. We have a safe city with spotty things that happen. I keep the house secure and watch when I go outdoors. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say we are about a 3 or 4 for anything to happen. Its maybe lower but we have millions of people around here.
Driving is another matter I would say your at a 8 or 9 for something to happen.

#8 ·
Situational Awareness

Euclidean said:
I would say I'm a suburb dweller with a relatively low risk. I live in a place where the police and the teachers are the lowest people on the social/income spectrum. :tongue:

But seriously I live in a nice town of about 30,000 people (and growing like wild fire) with tough as nails city and county law enforcement. Most of the county is rural.

It's about as safe as a place can be. I don't kid myself that this community is ripe for predators, and I also don't kid myself about the urban warzones that are within 30 miles of me. But I'm out of the fryer and in the frying pan instead.

I think the odds of me being attacked at home are actually very, very slim. What I see as most realistic is being accosted on the street. I do walk around town a lot. No one is 100% safe.
I'm about 95% in tune with Euc. However living in a big county like Miami-Dade, there are areas I refer to as Indian Country. These require a heightened level of awareness and preparation. If I'm staying close to home, I might go out with just a knife (spyderco) and a SureFire 6P flashlight. But if I'm going outside my comfort zone I'll carry the Glock M27 and one sp mag (Hi-Cap M22) and if I'm going to say the Florida Keys or to Naples....any place that is considered "the sticks" any place where I can't whistle up a legion of cops for assistance, then I'm carrying a .45 and 2 sp mags minimum.

#10 ·
Community pop under 20K, county under 40K. Major city with 500K 65 miles away.

I figure 6, low risk.

To me that means normal carry is three handguns, with long gun in vehicle.

When I get to the point that I can predict the future with 100% accuracy, I might back off to two guns.

#11 ·
Rural dwelling - low risk. The town I live in is around 800 people....and I think they're all related to each other. Most common crime here is domestic violence, followed by a few home break-ins. I keep deadbolts locked. My neighbor has 5 German Sheperds that can be noisy if anyone (thing) comes around at night. Sleep with my 1911 nearby, cocked and locked. Until I hauled all my other stuff out to Bumper, I kept the Winchester Defender loaded, but not chambered...(I just love the sound of a pump action). I only carry one gun when I go to work or anywhere else...I work in another small city about 18 miles away. Crime there isn't grand either. The whole area is full of "farmer" types....pretty simple and non-threatening. My alert and risk goes up when I have to go to/thru Dallas though. :redface:

#13 ·
I'm small town/low risk most of the time. However, I moonlight at the gun shop and it's known I open and close it from time to time. That puts me at a little more risk than the average bear.

I also unfortunately by biology have a nocturnal schedule - so I'm out at times that the worst things happen.

#14 ·
I'd have to say suburban moderate risk. I know it isn't one of your poll choices, but the risk isn't high and it isn't low, either. The job takes me into high-risk urban areas. I usually carry my handgun, a spare mag, my folder, and sometimes I slip my old Gerber Mark I into the SOB slot. Depending on the situation, I may also have my ASP in pocket.

#15 ·
City Dweller - High Risk

Hey Chris-

Southern Boy here living in the Big City. I have the concerns of what I did in a past life- and folks remembering such.

I am an older returning student. I do not park on Campus 'cause you ain't supposed to have firearms on campus. One way commute is ~20 miles. Often times I have night classes. Where I currently reside is not very nice.

So I have to get from point A to B. May have to get to C, D and such whilst out and about.

I therefore Adapt, Overcome and Improvise for my safety. I have assisted other classmates that CCW. I/ We have a right to take care of ourselves in the event we have a flat, one needs to get something from the store after class, if we decide to get something to eat afterwards, or one has to leave for night shift.

We have to leave a bad area getting to and fro the campus, so we leave together and watch out for one another at stop signs and lights.

Like myself, we don't always CCW our preferred choice of firearm - we do use what we call our "Niche" guns. Yes we do practice with these.

That'll be us with the glass bottles of soda, leaving as a group, at least one knife clipped to jeans, skirt or somewhere. We have some kind of light, and one girl has the nastiest smelling cheap perfume that she carries as a defensive spray. Seems we all have "brake" problems...all of seem to have a can brakecleaner spray on the front seat. Ya know - in case we need to "squirt" some at a stop sign or stoplight...ya know how brakes are? :wink:

#16 ·
I knew you had to be pretty on the alert Steve but - sounds like it is more than I imagined. Watching six must be second nature to you!

I am indeed most fortunate.

#17 ·
Suburban dweller, high risk area. Metro area of about 3 million people, high crime rates, increasing violent gang activity.

Wife and I both carry and our home has 3 levels of defense. We've taken a proactive stand to provide for our own secuirty, as the cops priorities around here seem to be dictated by the County's desire to increase revenue rather than patrol the streets.

Just this week we walked out of the movie theater at 12:15 in the afternoon right into the middle of a drug bust and police shoot out. Fortunately our car was not one of the 6 or 7 the BG rammed trying to get away, befor the cops shot him!

#18 ·
My wife and I live in an urban area with low risk in the immediate neighborhood, but high rates of burglery and theft all around us. My primary concern is the risk from drug users stealing to feed their habit, plus the fact that there are lots of scum bags all around who will kill or injure without batting an eye. Our local papers are full of crime stories every day. We keep loaded firearms in the house, in the car, and I carry wherever I go, except that I teach part time at a private school and have to leave my pistol outside the building when I work. However, it goes back on my person as soon as I'm out of the building. I always carry one pistol with one extra magazine plus two knives, one a folder in my pocket and one quick opener clipped to my belt.

#19 ·
Rural/Low risk

I live in a rural community and I would classify it as low risk. However, when my house was still under construction (several years ago) someone broke in and swiped some tools and such. This incident is what prompted my first gun purchase. Several years later, Ohio passed their CCW law. I got my license and carry whenever I leave the house, except at work (more on this later). Depending on my mood, either my Glock 19 or my PT-145 are along for the ride. I avoid CPZ's whenever possible. I can always find another place to meet my needs. I installed an alarm system in my home and my car has an alarm system as well. I am a Security Officer (local college campus) and we are unarmed. Of course, universities are a CPZ so I am unable to carry at work. However, I always have my department issue Pepper Spray and at least 2 folders on my person. In a pinch, I always have my maglight as well. There is a bill in the Ohio House at present, that will exempt universities as CPZ's. Sounds good to me! Hopefully, it will pass someday.

Are my security measures overly paranoid? To some, maybe. For me, no. I guess having been a Security Officer for 10+ years, I am "paranoid" by nature. Oh well, I refuse to go through life in condition white like one of the sheeple. BTW, I also carry at home quite frequently. When I'm not, I am never too far away from a loaded firearm (fast access gun safe).

#20 ·
We live in a fairly low crime suburban area, so realistically we are probably around 3 or 4 for risk. I usually assume a much higher level of risk because I know that bad stuff can happen anywhere. We have a monitored alarm system, good door locks and deadbolts, a 7' block wall around the back yard with locked gates, lots of lights in the front yard on a timer, IR perimeter floodlights, exterior door locks on my bedroom and office doors, a large dog (friendly, but alert and loud) and, of course, an assortment of guns ready to use. I stay in yellow most of the time, although usually pale yellow while secure in my house. It's a big house and even if someone kicked in the front door, I would have time to react.

#21 ·
Where I live is technically rural. I live just outside the town limits population 346. The county is growing like nobody's business, 160K at last count. So I'm moving. Crime in my part of the county is almost non-existent. Crime where I'm moving is non-existent. So the risk factor is low. Doesn't mean I'm not prepared however.

Most of my risk factor comes because I do most of my work traveling and at military installations. So I fly to a strange city, no reciprocity usually, and I work on a military installation. So I don't bring a gun.

So I make do with items that aren't classified as weapons. :wink:

Most I can carry on the plane as well, which is nice.

-Scott-

#23 ·
I live and work in a suburb south of Denver. Englewood used to be a quiet community with a lot of retired folks, but like most of the front range of Colorado, things are growing fast.

I'm living in an apartment building about 1/2 block from the major hospital where I work. My main concern is probably burglary...some shady characters move in and out of this building. There is also some gang type activity here, but not as much as in other parts of Denver.

As far as your rating poll goes, usually a 4, but when I get off of work at 11:30 PM and walk home in the dark, condition is a strong yellow and I would say poll rating #3, as I'm not allowed to carry any weapons at work. I really need to look into an unobtrusive belt type folding knife that may pass muster at work :wink:

#24 ·
Polling doesn't make any difference, when was the last time you saw a tree, wind or rain cause any crime? Any place where you have a population, you are eventually going to be subject to some law bending/breakers. If insisting on living with others; better to be prepared.

#25 ·
I live in a small bedroom community that is very close to The Dane County Airport.

This airport has many frequent and low cost fares to and from Tennessee, where Betty lives.

I would classify my exposure to danger as 'very high risk,' in a possible, plausible and very likely ocurrance at reasonable rates.

Oh sure, you laugh. But has it crossed your mind that I could get my rosy red rump blown away for the $78.50 weekend rates?

Check the schedule in your area wise guy...

#26 ·
I live in Northern VA/DC Metro area. I would have classified it as low risk 5 years ago, before MS-13 and the SSL (Southside Locos) moved in. Now there doesn't seem to be a week that goes by without a machette attack. There was one this weekend in Springfield where I do most of my shopping. So I would say I am about a 4. I always carry my Para Warthog which is 10+1 and I sometimes add my double mag holster to the mix for a total of 31 rounds. I almost aways have my little Gerber folder with me as well. Like I tell my wife "I would rather have it and never need it, then not have it and need it."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.