Your personal perceived risk rating?

This is a discussion on Your personal perceived risk rating? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am interested to see amongst the CC members, just what spread of risk we individually perceive (actual or imagined).... and therefore also, the degree ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your personal perceived risk rating?

Assistant Administrator

Your personal perceived risk rating?

I am interested to see amongst the CC members, just what spread of risk we individually perceive (actual or imagined).... and therefore also, the degree of counter -measures employed.

This is primarily to do with carry choices, frequency of same - and maybe too the required and used level of security (house, vehicle etc).

I consider myself fortunate - I live in a semi rural environment - in fact my county population is IIRC not much more than 50,000. I'd say risk on a scale of 1 thru 10 was possibly no worse than a 1 or 2 overall. That said, now and again quite significant events occur and so we are hardly Nirvana! I would be #6 in the poll.

Make your closest suitable pole vote and if you can, expand on your reasons for your perception and the rationale behind any and all defensive plans.

Darn it - the poll didn't take!!!

OK - here are your choices -

1) City dweller - high risk

2) City dweller - low risk

3) Suburban dwelling - high risk

4) Suburban dwelling - low risk

5) Semi rural dwelling - high risk

6) Semi rural dwelling - low risk

7) Rural dwelling - high risk

8) Rural dwelling - low risk
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

My risk level 6 months ago, when I lived in the PRK was probably about a 9, due to jobs I had held over the last decade, as well as my neighborhood, ethnicity, etc.
    My current risk level, probably no greater than a 1.
    I still live as though I am at a 7 or 8. Because I could be wrong, and there are many unknown factors.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

I would say I'm a suburb dweller with a relatively low risk. I live in a place where the police and the teachers are the lowest people on the social/income spectrum.

But seriously I live in a nice town of about 30,000 people (and growing like wild fire) with tough as nails city and county law enforcement. Most of the county is rural.

It's about as safe as a place can be. I don't kid myself that this community is ripe for predators, and I also don't kid myself about the urban warzones that are within 30 miles of me. But I'm out of the fryer and in the frying pan instead.

I think the odds of me being attacked at home are actually very, very slim. What I see as most realistic is being accosted on the street. I do walk around town a lot.

I did just learn this past week about a plan that was discovered in a neighboring town with a similar demographic to go on a killing spree at a local middle school. That rattled my cage a little.

In light of the stories posted on this and other forums, I believe that violent predators are irrational and unpredictable. No one is 100% safe.

Administrator

Post Here's Me

Surburban Dweller ~ Very Low Risk
    In Home ~ Extremely Low
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

6) Semi rural dwelling - low risk
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Assistant Administrator
    Good start - need more input.

But - if you can expand on your methods/choices that you find suit your choice it would help to further flesh out the survey. Reason is - to see what folks feel is enough to suit their perceived risk.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I live on the coast of CA 45 miles south of LA in a town of about 200,000. We have a safe city with spotty things that happen. I keep the house secure and watch when I go outdoors. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say we are about a 3 or 4 for anything to happen. Its maybe lower but we have millions of people around here.
    Driving is another matter I would say your at a 8 or 9 for something to happen.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Cool Situational Awareness

Quote Originally Posted by Euclidean
    I would say I'm a suburb dweller with a relatively low risk. I live in a place where the police and the teachers are the lowest people on the social/income spectrum.

But seriously I live in a nice town of about 30,000 people (and growing like wild fire) with tough as nails city and county law enforcement. Most of the county is rural.

It's about as safe as a place can be. I don't kid myself that this community is ripe for predators, and I also don't kid myself about the urban warzones that are within 30 miles of me. But I'm out of the fryer and in the frying pan instead.

I think the odds of me being attacked at home are actually very, very slim. What I see as most realistic is being accosted on the street. I do walk around town a lot. No one is 100% safe.
    I'm about 95% in tune with Euc. However living in a big county like Miami-Dade, there are areas I refer to as Indian Country. These require a heightened level of awareness and preparation. If I'm staying close to home, I might go out with just a knife (spyderco) and a SureFire 6P flashlight. But if I'm going outside my comfort zone I'll carry the Glock M27 and one sp mag (Hi-Cap M22) and if I'm going to say the Florida Keys or to Naples....any place that is considered "the sticks" any place where I can't whistle up a legion of cops for assistance, then I'm carrying a .45 and 2 sp mags minimum.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    4 low risk , smaller community. Only real risk is I was a LEO and maybe recognized as such.

Community pop under 20K, county under 40K. Major city with 500K 65 miles away.

I figure 6, low risk.

To me that means normal carry is three handguns, with long gun in vehicle.

When I get to the point that I can predict the future with 100% accuracy, I might back off to two guns.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Rural dwelling - low risk. The town I live in is around 800 people....and I think they're all related to each other. Most common crime here is domestic violence, followed by a few home break-ins. I keep deadbolts locked. My neighbor has 5 German Sheperds that can be noisy if anyone (thing) comes around at night. Sleep with my 1911 nearby, cocked and locked. Until I hauled all my other stuff out to Bumper, I kept the Winchester Defender loaded, but not chambered...(I just love the sound of a pump action). I only carry one gun when I go to work or anywhere else...I work in another small city about 18 miles away. Crime there isn't grand either. The whole area is full of "farmer" types....pretty simple and non-threatening. My alert and risk goes up when I have to go to/thru Dallas though.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

i would be City slicker probley low risk but possible high risk all depends on the day

I'm small town/low risk most of the time. However, I moonlight at the gun shop and it's known I open and close it from time to time. That puts me at a little more risk than the average bear.

I also unfortunately by biology have a nocturnal schedule - so I'm out at times that the worst things happen.
    Driver carries less than $45 worth of remorse.

I'd have to say suburban moderate risk. I know it isn't one of your poll choices, but the risk isn't high and it isn't low, either. The job takes me into high-risk urban areas. I usually carry my handgun, a spare mag, my folder, and sometimes I slip my old Gerber Mark I into the SOB slot. Depending on the situation, I may also have my ASP in pocket.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

sm
    City Dweller - High Risk

Hey Chris-

Southern Boy here living in the Big City. I have the concerns of what I did in a past life- and folks remembering such.

I am an older returning student. I do not park on Campus 'cause you ain't supposed to have firearms on campus. One way commute is ~20 miles. Often times I have night classes. Where I currently reside is not very nice.

So I have to get from point A to B. May have to get to C, D and such whilst out and about.

I therefore Adapt, Overcome and Improvise for my safety. I have assisted other classmates that CCW. I/ We have a right to take care of ourselves in the event we have a flat, one needs to get something from the store after class, if we decide to get something to eat afterwards, or one has to leave for night shift.

We have to leave a bad area getting to and fro the campus, so we leave together and watch out for one another at stop signs and lights.

Like myself, we don't always CCW our preferred choice of firearm - we do use what we call our "Niche" guns. Yes we do practice with these.

That'll be us with the glass bottles of soda, leaving as a group, at least one knife clipped to jeans, skirt or somewhere. We have some kind of light, and one girl has the nastiest smelling cheap perfume that she carries as a defensive spray. Seems we all have "brake" problems...all of seem to have a can brakecleaner spray on the front seat. Ya know - in case we need to "squirt" some at a stop sign or stoplight...ya know how brakes are?
    Use Enough Gun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links