Defensive Carry banner

CCW around the world

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  joffe 
#1 ·
Concerning firearms laws around the world, many threads conclude that other countries don't go for the 'cosmetics' and that being in Switzerland, Finland or whatever is really cool because you get to own a machine gun. If you jump through the paperwork and their hoops. If I jump through the paperwork here I can own a sound suppressor without any forms or fingerprints. Uh, yay? There is no self-defense. There is no carry. There is the duty to retreat from everywhere. In fact, the duty to retreat is so entrenched there is no definition of it because it's the norm. Forget the gun muffler and the evil black guns, they're just bread and circus to distract the gun folks from the real issue. In fact, bringing up US-style laws with any gun enthusiast here will make them soil their pants. The closest comparison would be a liberal hunter who only wants to own his 5-round fixed magazine restricted carry registered, fingerprinted and background checked rifle, and is appalled at your views on self-defense.

What noone mentions when discussing other countries are the carry rights. As far as I've understood, the only country coming close to having US-style carry rights is Israel, with their may-issue but only to former military or LEO-system.

Does anyone know any other countries with carry rights?

Prior discussion, no conclusion other than Israel:
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30274

See less See more
#2 ·
Canada is much like Hawaii. ATC's (Authorization to Carry) do exist but are rarely issued.

#3 ·
Israel only "may issue" carry rights to ex-military & LEOs? Then why do we hear stories of Israeli Grannys pulling their handguns & stopping Terrorist threats? Are these women ex-military? Is EVERYONE ex-military in Israel?

Do we have any Israeli forum members? I would enjoy hearing from them if they're the ONLY civilized country who agrees with the U.S. on an individuals right/responsibility to protect themselves.

#6 ·
I did a TDY in Tel Aviv and got aquanted with a flightline Chief there. All Israelis serve in the military for two years. When you think about them being surrounded by enemy countries it is only logical. Many countries do something similar. South Korean men must serve two years in the military, while waivable for college they will serve afterwards.

#5 ·
Yup !! Where do you think all those *REAL* awsome women on the 'girls with guns' come from. (Not the obviously staged phoney ones.)

#7 ·
http://israelmilitary.net/showthread.php?t=1526

Unless you are:
An officer in the IDF
An officer in the Police
Member if the other security forces
Live over the green line (west bank)

You will not get a gun license.
4. Applicant must fall into one of the following categories:

a. Part-time reservist (volunteer) for 3 years- may own 1 handgun

b. Such a reservist (volunteer) is a member of a gun club- may own 1rifle

c. Professional, licensed public transportation driver, transportinga minimum of 5 passengers- may own 1 handgun

d. Licensed animal control officer- may own 2 hunting rifles, *not*full automatic weapons, or semi-automatic weapons with a limitedcapacity magazine.

e. Full-time dealer of jewelry or large sums of cash or valuables-may own 1 handgun
West Bank and Gaza Strip Settlers:
1. A resident in a militarily strategic buffer zone, essential to thesecurity of the State of Israel- may own 1 handgun
2. A business owner in these geographic areas- may own 1 handgun
Veterans:
1. Veterans of the Regular Army honorably discharged with the rank ofnoncommissioned officer, and veterans of the Reserve Army with the rankof regimental commander- may own 1 handgun
2. Retired law enforcement officers with the rank of sergeant- may own 1handgun
3. Retired prison guards with the rank of squadron commander- may own 1handgun
Individuals: Upon presenting documentation that one is about to receive a souvenir, aprize, an inheritance, or an award of appreciation from the Israelmilitary.
http://www.jpfo.org/israel-firearms.htm

As far as I'm concerned this is not 'shall issue'.

Having to live over the green line is a bit like only issuing CCWs to white people in Compton. :slap:

I'd assume that the 'Israeli grannies' defending themselves are settlers of some capacity.

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure carry is common in Colombia, S.A. When I flew around down there it was required that guns be checked in before boarding an airplane. I remember seeing flight attendants carrying an arm load of handguns after landing to give them back to the passengers.

#9 ·
#11 ·
The BIG Difference...

Rural Afghanistan and rural Pakistan...:hand10:that's pretty much it.
The BIG difference between us and the regions mentioned above is that in rural Afganistan & Pakistan power is exerted by the force-of-arms and is taken by whoever has the most of it. Contrastingly, in the U.S. power is exerted by the force-of-law and is given to elected representatives of the people.

Just another reason why we should be very careful who we choose to elect and represent us. The Founding Fathers were wise enough to understand that an armed population has the power to overthrow tyranny. So convinced were they that our Founding Documents say that right "shall not be infringed".

Anybody felt infringed lately? I do, every day.

#10 ·
This is a great topic for a thread, and one I've thought about off and on for a while now.

Does anyone know of any other countries like ours?

I'd hate to think we're the only ones....

#15 ·
This hit home hard this morning. We just received an e-mail from a friend in South Africa. A couple we know had just finished getting their daughter through college, were selling their home to go full time sailing / cruising and he was murdered. Probably for the few dollars in his pocket. They thought they were in a safe area.......

Right now I'm really saddened and torqued off about the whole affair. She figures the efficient police force will make at best a token effort to find the murderer.

Sometimes I really wonder about humanity in general. Other times, well I won't print that here......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.